RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Check engine and VSC light came on

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 07:45 PM
bluelexus3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine and VSC light came on

Yesterday the wife was driving our 07 RX350 and notice both the check engine and VSC light came on and stayed on. It also just turned 15k miles. Could this be a maintance reminder? Or is this something serious?
Thanks
Old 10-09-07, 07:54 PM
lxgs4
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check engine light doesn't come on for maintenance reminder. i would go and get it checked out. Its still covered under your warranty. Did someone just get gas for the car?
Old 10-09-07, 08:13 PM
bluelexus3
Driver School Candidate

fuel tank is quarter empy
Old 10-09-07, 08:56 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nope you have a valid problem--take it in
Old 10-10-07, 02:13 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluelexus3
fuel tank is quarter empy
uh no. i usually fill up when the light is on and the cars computer says i have 5 or less miles to drive.
Old 10-10-07, 03:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

If the dealer ain't going to charge a bundle for it, ok. However, you can get the code read and even cleared at an AutoZone for free. At least then you can let us know the code number (OBDII code) and I and the rest of the group can give you an idea of what it is before you go into the dealer. A lot of general mechanics have the code reader (can usually be bought on ebay for not too much, and they are very handy to have given modern vehicles).

A common error that RX300 owners I have known about is P0171, which is a lean error. It can be for as something as simple as a slightly loose gas cap, dirty air filter, dirty MAF sensor (that is a major culprit as far something concrete), but usually it is just air/fuel ratio being even just a second out of whack, could be weather conditions. In the case of the MAF sensor, it can be accumulation that gets on the sensor over time, though I had an issue many years ago where using a K&N air filter resulted in oil getting on it (reason I actually removed all the oil off of the filter first, and lightly sprayed the front of it).
Old 10-10-07, 10:37 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol no, maintenance reminder has its own special light (MAINT REQ) or something like that.
Old 10-10-07, 11:15 AM
bluelexus3
Driver School Candidate

I made an appt. to take it to the dealer this sat. Will keep you guys up to date.
Old 10-14-07, 10:54 AM
bluelexus3
Driver School Candidate

Well came back from the dealer and it was just a loose gas cap. Apprently, the VSC light is also associated with the loose gas cap, not just the check engine light. Weird huh?
Old 10-14-07, 11:23 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol...very weird
Old 10-23-07, 07:38 AM
aznpunk97
Driver School Candidate

wow, when I started my car this morning, the check engine light came on and when I press the brakes to shift into drive, the VSC light came on. Drove to work and started researching this issue. I don't know if it is a gas cap issue but last time I filled up was 3 days ago. Right now is a 75% full, but when to my car again and retighten the gas cap and started the car, both light still on. Car is at 7500 miles and only 8 months old. so i'm trying to schedule an appointment to see what the problem is. Will let you guys know.
Old 10-23-07, 08:09 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd be interested to know what OBDII code they pulled up.
Old 10-23-07, 09:51 AM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I'd be interested to know what OBDII code they pulled up.
most likely P0141. That's the code for Evap System Malfunction
Old 10-23-07, 12:55 PM
aznpunk97
Driver School Candidate

just keeping you guys updated, I have scheduled for this saturday in the morning. they said it should be under warranty and takes less than an hour.

the thing that got me is, my car is less than 7500 miles and less than 8 months old, how come i'm getting these issues? for car that cost 50 grand, should not see issues until later. i know things happen but i take car of my car like a little baby. i believe stuff like this shouldn't happen, whether it is oxygen sensor or evap system malfunction. if they said i need a new engine, i'll definitely hang myself

but oh well, since it's under warranty, why am i complaining....
Old 10-23-07, 01:42 PM
andreys
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aznpunk97
just keeping you guys updated, I have scheduled for this saturday in the morning. they said it should be under warranty and takes less than an hour.

the thing that got me is, my car is less than 7500 miles and less than 8 months old, how come i'm getting these issues? for car that cost 50 grand, should not see issues until later. i know things happen but i take car of my car like a little baby. i believe stuff like this shouldn't happen, whether it is oxygen sensor or evap system malfunction. if they said i need a new engine, i'll definitely hang myself

but oh well, since it's under warranty, why am i complaining....

aznpunk97,

"check engine" (along with VSC light, same thing) light comes on whenever there is a warning. For example, if your air filter is dirty, the warning will come on; if your gas cap is loose, the warning will come on.

To make things easier, simply stop by at any parts store, such as AutoZone and ask them to read OBDII code for you. Once you know what it is, they usually will tell if it is something major or something that can be fixed with a twist of a gas cap.

Lexmex is simply guessing that it is a sensor of something major (don't forget, his car is at least 8 years old -- RX300 rather than RX350), so get the code from AutoZone and you might save yourself a trip to a dealer if it is something very simple.

Last edited by andreys; 10-23-07 at 01:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Check engine and VSC light came on