RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

"Error 4" on CD Player?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 10:16 AM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't come across a fix yet besides:

a) dealership and paying $$$$
b) replacing the unit with an after market setup

It's come to a point for me that I don't even listen to CD's anymore in my RX, radio and that's pretty much it.
Old 04-09-12, 11:37 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

That’s a shame really that we cannot enjoy our CD players. This issues is prevalent across the Lexus models. I have an issue with CD Error 3 with my SC430. Sucks.
Old 04-09-12, 12:03 PM
BokCh0y
Driver School Candidate

Yeah not sure what the prob is with Lex, I know in my Gen 1 IS, same prop...but nearly as bad as the RX330.

My Gen 2 IS has the occassional hicup, but nothing compared to the RX.

My MR2..same deal haha. Think it's a Toyota thing.
Old 04-09-12, 10:34 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default United Radio

Try these guys to Get your radios fixed.

http://***********.com/automotive/

Last edited by MC5Wes; 04-09-12 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 06:58 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have RX330 '05 and been seeing Error 4 frequently... but until now had been able to eject after shut engine off and turn acc or engine on again. But today have tried about 20 times and not able to eject it. I am ready for an after-market. Anyone had any success with a particular brand/source? Thanks.
Old 05-22-12, 07:23 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Have RX330 '05 and been seeing Error 4 frequently... but until now had been able to eject after shut engine off and turn acc or engine on again. But today have tried about 20 times and not able to eject it. I am ready for an after-market. Anyone had any success with a particular brand/source? Thanks.
Would think about either:

A. Just getting the OEM repaired using the shop listed above by MC5Wes.

B. Put all your music on an iPod, get a VAIS or similar kit and go from there.

C. Look at the kits that Carver and others have posted for NAV and entertainment upgrades.

Have not seen any write ups on CD changer only replacements.
Old 05-23-12, 07:55 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm considering selling my OEM stereo unit in my 350 to put in an aftermarket one.

I don't use the CD too much and I'm tired of looking at that cassette deck.
Old 05-23-12, 12:52 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 1koolfella
I'm considering selling my OEM stereo unit in my 350 to put in an aftermarket one.

I don't use the CD too much and I'm tired of looking at that cassette deck.
Do we know if the 350 has had the same CD changer issues as the 330? And if not, what $$ are you seeking if you sell it?
Old 05-23-12, 12:55 PM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Would think about either:

A. Just getting the OEM repaired using the shop listed above by MC5Wes.

B. Put all your music on an iPod, get a VAIS or similar kit and go from there.

C. Look at the kits that Carver and others have posted for NAV and entertainment upgrades.

Have not seen any write ups on CD changer only replacements.
Thanks RX330inFL. Am a bit concerned about getting the OEM repaired as I feel it may reoccur so probably look to replace it. At any rate, I need to get my CD's fished out of the unit if I go with option B!. Actually, just getting the most recently loaded CD may put it back to the moderatly irritating problem I had before it.
Old 05-23-12, 01:59 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by quantfutur
Thanks RX330inFL. Am a bit concerned about getting the OEM repaired as I feel it may reoccur so probably look to replace it. At any rate, I need to get my CD's fished out of the unit if I go with option B!. Actually, just getting the most recently loaded CD may put it back to the moderatly irritating problem I had before it.
Have been real lucky in that this is one area I have had zero problems. Though, a properly repaired unit should be as good as a new one and I am sure United Radio does good work should you go that direction. Most of the time these go bad it is just an alignment issue with the transports, playback laser or foreign object in the unit.

As an "old guy" I have plenty of cassette tapes floating around the place. These are from the factory and not tape mixes. Some are such that there is no equivalent in a CD or download format. UK or Japan editions for example. So, for me having the cassette deck available is very useful. I also use a cassette adapter with an iPod for longer trips out. Radio stations in this area are terrible now with all the consolidation. The local jazz and 70-80's rock stations I listened to have changed format. Anyway... not one tape has been eaten by my Lexus over all these years. Not one CD has misplayed or jammed.

Regarding the ripping all your CDs -- yes, that could take some time depending on your library and computer equipment. I took the time to rip most of my discs to Apple Lossless format in iTunes some time back. That preserves them in CD quality. Cleaned each disc as I went and added the album covers and all for a complete job. Once on your computer you have the option of converting them to MP3 (lower quality all players), AAC (lower quality iPod only) or leave as Apple Lossless (iPod only). I use an iPod Classic with a large drive and store everything on it in Apple Lossless. Allows me to use it in the car or attached to my home system which recognizes and controls the iPod as well. Both Pioneer and Denon have units that do this -- am sure there are more. Though I never got around to finishing the job I have more than 500 albums at my fingertips whenever I am in the mood for music. Actually, I need Apple to come out with a higher capacity iPod if I want to keep them all in Apple Lossless format, otherwise I need to downgrade the quality for more to fit.
Old 05-26-12, 08:54 AM
quantfutur
Pit Crew

RX330inFL - Thanks v. much for the info., especially the ripping CD's. Great that you have had no problems with your CD changer. I was able to get the CD out with a thin ruler and paper clip, and was able to insert another one in and listen to it, took it out but unfortunately now the door is hanging open and truly stuck on Error 4. I think I may go for the replacement unit. I listen to alot of CD's and like the convenience of having it in the radio unit.
Old 05-26-12, 10:55 AM
1koolfella
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quantfutur, I sent you a PM.
Old 11-09-12, 01:08 PM
JohnS
Driver

Will someone share with me how to eject my CDs? The turning the car off/on has not worked yet. I just want to get the CDs out for now.
Old 11-09-12, 03:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery, worked for some people, you will have to re-set a few things though, but worth a try.
Old 04-19-13, 11:08 AM
toyotadvr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Yes, it still produces the error.

I think I narrowed the problem down to a particular CD. While "turbo-scrolling", the error usually appears when switching to Disc #6. When I removed that CD, I could scroll as fast as I wanted through discs 1 through 5. When I put the CD back into slot 6, the error returned.

The uniqueness of this CD is that I had burned it myself. The other discs 1-5 are a combination of commercially burned CDs and CDs that were burned by my daughter.

Later, I'll reburn the CD and see what happens.

I have tried all the mentioned ideas and I still can't play a cd. can't eject only use radio.

Quick Reply: "Error 4" on CD Player?