RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

2005 RX330 (Any Major TSB's I Should Be Aware Of?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 05:35 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face 2005 RX330 (Any Major TSB's I Should Be Aware Of?)

Hello,

We have a 2005 RX330 with 7,000 miles.

No complaints with it at all. I was just wondering, (I did some searching in the forums prior to the post) does anyone know of any major TSB's I should be aware of on the RX330? So far, I notice nothing about the RX330 that needs repair.

I was comparing this to our 2003 GX470 that has had TSB SU001, EL015, and DL001 fixed, and soon to have (summer) AC001 repaired.

Thanks,
Rich G.
Somers Point, NJ
Old 02-14-07, 08:04 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

There is no such thing as a major TSB.

TSBs deal with minor problems that are checked and repaired if observed or if the consumer complains about something. For example, some '04s had a problem with the release mechanism on the sliding roof rails; this would be fixed upon complaint, but otherwise left alone. Same thing for a complaint about the rear wiper not doing a good job; there's a new one that will be swapped out if you mention this problem.

Major technical problems get a "recall." Some of these are more major than others, but you get a notice in the mail with all the info.

For TSB info, just search this forum for TSB and you will find that they have all been mentioned here over the last few years. It is good to know about the TSBs so that you can check to see if the problem exists in your car, and you can get a free fix. When I bought my '04, I checked the roof rails, and sure enough they would not slide forward or backward when I pulled up on the little release lever. I mentioned it to the dealer and they put in the new ones for me at no charge, and now they work perfectly.

Happy motoring.
Old 02-14-07, 09:49 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

My 2c on TSBs:

I would suggest against a preemptive TSB. If there is a problem, sure, check to see a TSB exsists. But do not undertake a change just because a TSB exists, when you do not have a problem.

In computer world, the equivalent is the BIOS upgrade.

Salim
Old 02-14-07, 11:41 AM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Why not salimshah? I am sure there are TSB that needs to be done if your VIN # is included. After Warranty, dealership will charge you for those works.
Old 02-14-07, 12:00 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

Knowing what TSBs are out there is handy, since it may be a problem you might not look for until it's too late, like the roof rack rails. Most people never mess with them and so will not know if they don't work correctly until it's too late. I read about the TSB and checked mine and discovered that they did not work right. I don't adjust them a lot, but now they work correctly.

Also, for many TSBs, not all cars have the problem, which is why they do not do the repairs on all the cars, just the ones whose owners mention something at the dealership (and sometimes it helps to tell the service tech that there is a TSB on the issue).

I see no problem in getting something fixed that was defective or subpar when installed, especially as Lexus is admitting the problem and offering to fix it if I wish.

Good for them, and that's one reason Lexus has such a high (the highest, I think) customer satisfaction rating.

We pay for this in the price of the car, of course, but life's too short not to live it up a little.
Old 02-14-07, 12:51 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

TSB are generally "in field repairs/fixes" and again in my view are issued as a quick reference guide to other mechanics in the field. In summary it is, hey if some one complains try this first as a good % of customers were satisfied after the prescribed fix.

If it is not broken, don't fix it has been my approach. Others can disagree.

Salim
Old 02-14-07, 08:24 PM
darksparkz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah

In computer world, the equivalent is the BIOS upgrade.

Salim
I agree, if it's not broken, why fix it.

But then things are a bit different for cars, preventive maintenance falls into play. Some TSBs might include swapping rotors or other stuff, so it may be worth it to get some fixed while still under warranty. I'm not going to comment on getting the TSB for the tranny hesitation issue, because some say it helps and some say it makes it worse.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do
Old 02-15-07, 03:26 AM
R3Wood
Rookie

Thanks for all the replies.

To me a major TSB would be Swapping the Propeller Shaft and Control Arms such as DL001 on the GX470.

A non-major TSB would be the outside temp. is reading wrong. So that is what I meant by "Major TSB."

Thanks Again,
Rich

Originally Posted by tfischer

TSBs deal with minor problems that are checked and repaired if observed or if the consumer complains about something. For example, some '04s had a problem with the release mechanism on the sliding roof rails; this would be fixed upon complaint, but otherwise left alone. Same thing for a complaint about the rear wiper not doing a good job; there's a new one that will be swapped out if you mention this problem.

Major technical problems get a "recall." Some of these are more major than others, but you get a notice in the mail with all the info.

For TSB info, just search this forum for TSB and you will find that they have all been mentioned here over the last few years. It is good to know about the TSBs so that you can check to see if the problem exists in your car, and you can get a free fix. When I bought my '04, I checked the roof rails, and sure enough they would not slide forward or backward when I pulled up on the little release lever. I mentioned it to the dealer and they put in the new ones for me at no charge, and now they work perfectly.

Happy motoring.
Old 02-22-07, 10:12 PM
joako
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer

TSBs deal with minor problems that are checked and repaired if observed or if the consumer complains about something.

No. Recall is a legal term and the NHTSA requires that manufactures issue a recall when they identify that the vehicle does not comply with federal regulations for that model year, or a safety-related defect is identified.

TSBs are pretty much warranty issues, the warranty states that you will be given a car "free from defects in materials and workmanship" ... or something along the lines of that. When an automaker identifies an issue with your car parts or some of the manufaturing process they will issue a TSB. The dealer (regardless of marque) will deny any knowledge they have of the issue and claim you are the only one, then you go to the internet to the great resources like this site, print out the TSB and take it back to the dealer where they will be forced to admit they are liars and they will then do a half *** job at repairing your car (the dealer only gets paid 1/2 for warranty labor... why should they do the full work?)
Old 02-22-07, 11:43 PM
AM1
Lexus Champion

i got a notice to fix the clips that hold the carpeting in place.