RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Sway bar and Strut bar options for a RX330.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 06:00 PM
Ducky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar and Strut bar options for a RX330.

I can't seem to get used to the wobbly and lifting feeling I get when I make turns in my RX. I've searced on the forums and came up with 2 threads that didn't do me any good. I've searched on google, but couldn't find any vendors or anyone carrying those parts for a RX330.

Besides L-tune.com(very small list of parts for the RX), who else is there to get some parts? Thanks.
Old 12-06-06, 08:16 PM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

lol u have a SUV have you or everyone ever seen those upgrades for any SUV?
Old 12-06-06, 09:00 PM
Ducky
Rookie

I've found some info through google where on a AU lexus forum..they installed TRD sways on the RX. I can't find any on trd-usa.com

Also, I have seen upgrades like those on SUV's. I must live in an odd krazy world.
Old 12-06-06, 10:32 PM
initiald
Driver School Candidate

It's a SUV and Lexus. Maybe you should've gotten something German.. or wait for a RX-F someday =)
Old 12-07-06, 05:27 AM
GMoney
Driver School Candidate

you can try using some lowering springs if sway bars are not available, the H&R OE's lowers the Lex less than 1/2 inch. I see you are from NJ, I dont think this 1/2 inch will will effect you too much during the snowy season.

I wanted to do this to my RX but my wife is too afraid that it may effect the ride quality...personally I dont think it will effect it too much.

The H&R's should help a little in the body roll department....

Last edited by GMoney; 12-07-06 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-07-06, 06:30 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by initiald
lol u have a SUV have you or everyone ever seen those upgrades for any SUV?
I hear you initiald! Welcome to the wonderful world of sport-utility vehicles, Ducky. SUV's have become quite the popular vehicle and every year we have thousands of people coming out of family cars and sport sedans into the SUV experience. A quick look at an SUV's profile tells you this thing sits rather high on its suspension (for ground clearance off road), tends to be rather tall and upright (for passenger and load capacity), and consequently, particularly in the truck-based versions, are average to poor handlers.

What can be done to improve vehicle dynamics? Well, it's not easy to make a drastic change in handling without gathering a lot of negative effects as well. First, the best and cheapest option for upgraded handling is trade it in for something other than an SUV - unless you have a special connection with the author of the laws of physics. Dropping the vehicle a couple inches or more, stiffening up the suspension and shocks, replacing bushings with harder, less compliant urethane products, and going to wider, more sporting tires are the traditional routes to improved handling. Having achieved it, at considerable cost, you will probably note that though your Lexus may now handle like a Busch stocker, it will ride like one too.

It's always a case of compromise. You have to sift the options to determine what is most important to you. L-tuned, Eibach, and other aftermarket suppliers are beginning to offer parts that offer a reasonable approach - however you are looking at a total package here, and many times just springs or bars alone won't produce the effects you want. Maybe the best approach is a set of adjustable shocks that will allow you to firm up the tactile response a bit, if not exactly doing much for lap times. Good Luck!
Old 12-07-06, 09:32 AM
Kan-O-Z
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GMoney
you can try using some lowering springs if sway bars are not available, the H&R OE's lowers the Lex less than 1/2 inch.
I think you mean 1.2" and not 1/2". 1.2" is not too much either and shouldnt hinder much on the snow.

Kan-O-Z
Old 12-07-06, 11:16 AM
RXchic
Driver School Candidate

that was one of my concerns as well when deciding between my RX and the X5. yes, handling feels safer in the X5 as when you turn the corners it's a little bit "tighter". it's all a matter of personal preference as i enjoy how smooth the lexus drives. try a U-turn.. you'll appreciate the lexus' handling! U-turning the X5 felt like driving a rental with no power steering!
Old 12-07-06, 01:25 PM
GMoney
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kan-O-Z
I think you mean 1.2" and not 1/2". 1.2" is not too much either and shouldnt hinder much on the snow.

Kan-O-Z
Yes you are right, I was under the impression that H&R made an OE spring, they actually only have Sport Springs that lowers the RX 1.2 inches...(tirerack.com)

Too bad, H&R has OE's for cars that lowers no more that 3/4 inch. I had OE's in one of my other cars that performed well without the dropped look.
Old 12-07-06, 04:47 PM
Ducky
Rookie

I don't want to drop the car at all. I want to retain stock struts and springs......

I guess I have no choice but to deal with it. It is my daily car, so I don't really want to get crazy with modifications. Strut bars and sway bars aren't that big of a deal if they were readily available for these cars.
Old 12-08-06, 12:59 AM
norush
Driver School Candidate

Ducky, if you have time see if you can compare 400h and 350 sway bars. 400h might have a thicker one as it weights some 500 pounds more. If this is true then all we need is a part number
Old 12-08-06, 08:55 PM
Ducky
Rookie

Norush, good idea but I probably won't go through with it. Unlesss.....some one has done it already and knows what's required and so forth...
Old 11-19-13, 09:42 AM
JProdun
Driver

I know It's n old thread, but here it is:

http://www.nextgentuning.com/Suspens...egory--15.html

Might do it at some point... Not at this time though
Old 11-19-13, 12:19 PM
defo
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducky
I can't seem to get used to the wobbly and lifting feeling I get when I make turns in my RX. I've searced on the forums and came up with 2 threads that didn't do me any good. I've searched on google, but couldn't find any vendors or anyone carrying those parts for a RX330.

Besides L-tune.com(very small list of parts for the RX), who else is there to get some parts? Thanks.
Don't listen to the doubters.......every vehicle made has room for performance based improvements.

I agree, the RX has too much body roll for my tastes also.

Ultraracing makes performance suspension parts, including sway bars, for the RX.

Remember to search for Toyota Harrier, as the RX is not badged as a Lexus in many countries.

LINK ultraracing

If you order up any parts, let us know how they are.
Old 11-19-13, 12:36 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by defo
Don't listen to the doubters.......every vehicle made has room for performance based improvements.

I agree, the RX has too much body roll for my tastes also.

Ultraracing makes performance suspension parts, including sway bars, for the RX.

Remember to search for Toyota Harrier, as the RX is not badged as a Lexus in many countries.

LINK ultraracing

If you order up any parts, let us know how they are.
Reminder that you are commenting on a seven (7) year old thread to a person whose profile indicates that have not been active at CL since August, 2008.

Quick Reply: Sway bar and Strut bar options for a RX330.