RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Unidentified noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-22, 10:48 AM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unidentified noise

EDIT #2: Here's the link to the video, finally, on Google Drive and some additional info: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0I...ew?usp=sharing

Since making this post last week:
  • I've noticed a small amount of fluid on my garage floor, front passenger side, as well.
  • There's also an occasional exhaust smell.
  • In 2017 the Lexus dealership said I had a severe water pump leak and a moderate PS rack leak, as well as timing cover leak. The same day, I had it checked at an independent shop, the mechanic there said there was a very small leak on the timing cover, to keep an eye on, and everything else looked good, no repairs needed. None of this work has been done, to date.
  • I did have the PS pump replaced in 2019, though, and have since learned that that particular mechanic was not so great.🙁
Looking forward to hearing all of your ideas, thanks for your patience!

ORIGINAL POST: I'm wondering what could be causing this noise. It's on the passenger side of my 2009 RX350 AWD, that has 114,000 miles.

EDIT 1: I've tried to upload the video in every way that I see possible. It's not showing up and it's not giving me an error message or any information as to why it's not showing up, I'll keep looking for how to do it and will delete this post if unable to upload the sound.

Last edited by Zinvipi; 05-29-22 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Adding link to sound file
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (05-24-22)
Old 05-22-22, 06:34 PM
MattRX
Racer

Received 716 Likes on 516 Posts

Is it a suspension noise, interior rattle, maybe exterior rattle? My Highlander has seen it all, so I may have an idea of what it is. What speed does it happen at? Hwy? In-town? If you want, you can email it to me and I'll see if I can guess.
Old 05-24-22, 08:28 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

MattRX, it's an engine noise, that I hear after starting and before driving. I tried to upload the video again but I still don't see that it's attached to my post. Thanks for the offer, I will try to email it to you!
Old 05-24-22, 09:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 863 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Zinvipi
MattRX, it's an engine noise, that I hear after starting and before driving. I tried to upload the video again but I still don't see that it's attached to my post. Thanks for the offer, I will try to email it to you!
I pm'd another member a while back cuz for 2 years I couldn't figure how to attach anything but a pic.

It's done the same way- if it will do it and format is supported

In a new post click this icon

Then click this icon and choose the audio file to upload

PS- good job on descriptive title and what your thread is about. Hopefully you can get the audio up so we can all hear it.

Old 05-27-22, 11:13 AM
Missin10mm
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try changing your exhaust pipe gaskets. One of my was worn out and it cause a big enough noise that I thought it was a serious problem but it only cost $10 to fix. Hope it helps
The following 2 users liked this post by Missin10mm:
Margate330 (05-27-22), Zinvipi (05-27-22)
Old 05-27-22, 02:48 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Margate330, I've tried that many times, I'm able to get the file into the upload box but then it won't go any further. At first it said the file was too big, so I clipped the video down to an acceptable size but it still doesn't upload. The format is .mov, which is on the list of okay formats to use here. I ended up uploading it to Google Drive, MattRX was able to access it there and send me some helpful ideas, I sent him the link via message. I would post the link here, too, but am I allowed to do that? I don't want to get kicked out of this forum!
Old 05-27-22, 03:00 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Missin10mm, it's always nice when it's a quick and cheap fix! I'll add that to my list of things to check.
Old 05-27-22, 03:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Margate330, I've tried that many times, I'm able to get the file into the upload box but then it won't go any further. At first it said the file was too big, so I clipped the video down to an acceptable size but it still doesn't upload. The format is .mov, which is on the list of okay formats to use here. I ended up uploading it to Google Drive, MattRX was able to access it there and send me some helpful ideas, I sent him the link via message. I would post the link here, too, but am I allowed to do that? I don't want to get kicked out of this forum!
Hi Zinvipi, this is no problem.

I don't know but a moderator can help answer your questions and whether this is possible or ok- funny- I just posted about this today a couple hours ago. lol
How to contact a moderator is easy.
See post #7 here for two ways to do it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...re-pleeze.html

Last edited by Margate330; 05-27-22 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zinvipi (05-27-22)
Old 05-27-22, 03:38 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Margate330, I will check into it and post the link if I get the green light!
Old 05-27-22, 03:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Missin10mm
You could try changing your exhaust pipe gaskets. One of my was worn out and it cause a big enough noise that I thought it was a serious problem but it only cost $10 to fix. Hope it helps
Welcome to club lexus and your 1st post! Cheers.
Old 05-27-22, 05:47 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Margate330, I will check into it and post the link if I get the green light!
Cool deal!
You and Mattrx already tried everything I know that works so when you get the info you can post up audio and school us all.
Old 05-29-22, 05:09 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Cool deal!
You and Mattrx already tried everything I know that works so when you get the info you can post up audio and school us all.
Here's the scoop from the moderator: it seems to be okay to link out to files on Google Drive. They have had some problems with people linking to objectionable material and some copyright issues, so want to avoid those.

Here's the link to the video, it can take a minute to load, once there: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S0I...ew?usp=sharing

I'll edit my original post, too, thanks for helping me get to this point!
Old 05-31-22, 06:19 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

OMG that sounds terrible!

Definately hear it best when camera is at passenger front tire with engine running.
Maybe exhaust like mentioned above or a pulley, I don't know but sounds bad to me.

What ya'll think???

PS- your video link works excellent, very fast download.
Old 06-01-22, 03:51 PM
Zinvipi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
OMG that sounds terrible!

Definately hear it best when camera is at passenger front tire with engine running.
Maybe exhaust like mentioned above or a pulley, I don't know but sounds bad to me.

What ya'll think???

PS- your video link works excellent, very fast download.
I'm glad the video link worked, I can't always get them to load and have no idea what causes that. Thank you for the input! Did you see the edits I made to the original post? I added a little more info there.
Old 06-01-22, 07:27 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Does noise change when rpms are increased?
Plz describe.

Quick Reply: Unidentified noise