RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: What gas do you put into your 2RX?
Premium
0%
Medium
0%
Regular Unleaded
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 04:50 AM
lvn098
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found these on the Owner's Manual:

1. Page 49: Use unlead gasoline (91 Octane or higher)

2. Page 399: If this premium fuel is not available, you MAY use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 or so. The use of such gasoline will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage.

So, I guess we should use 91 or above just to be safe.

Last edited by lvn098; 10-08-06 at 04:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-06, 05:21 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by lvn098
Found these on the Owner's Manual:

1. Page 49: Use unlead gasoline (91 Octane or higher)

2. Page 399: If this premium fuel is not available, you MAY use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating of 87 or so. The use of such gasoline will cause persistent heavy knocking. If severe, this will lead to engine damage.

So, I guess we should use 91 or above just to be safe.
Until your engine knocks, you don't need premium gas. The chance you will get persistent heavy knocking is pretty nil. Even Consumer Report has deemed premium gas to be a waste of money.
Old 10-08-06, 06:30 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Consider this, the relative difference between regular and premium gas stays fairly constant (10 to 15 cents more for premium give or take a couple cents). As the price goes up, this difference does not proportionally increase. Therefore, the proportional difference is less as the price of gas goes up. What does this mean? Basically, it doesn't cost that much more to fill up with Premium as opposed to regular unleaded. Of course, the argument will go endlessly whether or not there is a long term advantage to Premium. In my opinion, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Here are the theoretical numbers I used:
At $1.50 for regular and $1.65 for Premium, it costs approximately $28.50 and $31.35 respectively to fill a 19 gallon tank on our RX. This is a 10% increase from regular to Premium.

Take that same constant rate (I know it may very a cent or two, but you get the idea) and apply it to $3.00 for regular and $3.15 for premium and you get $57.00 and $59.85 respectively. Now the difference is halved to only 5%.

The actual cost difference is a mere $2.85 per fillup. If you put 15k miles a year on your RX with an average MPG of 18 for all around useage, that translates to $125 per year for premium gas or an extra $10.40 per month.

Is it worth it??
Old 10-08-06, 06:34 AM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Jorge, Consumer Reports doesn't say Premium is a waste of money, they claim it can be a waste. Here's the article you mentioned:

Paying for premium gas can be a waste of money

Many people use premium gasoline in the belief that it's better for engines than regular. That can be a costly mistake, especially during times of high fuel prices. Octane grades don't represent a “good, better, best” choice; they simply measure the resistance of fuel to knocking or pinging, a condition in which gasoline burns uncontrollably in the engine's combustion chambers. Knocking and pinging can damage an engine.

While high-octane formulations resist knocking better than lower octanes, most engines are designed to take regular gas, which has an octane rating of about 87. Engines requiring premium gas are typically the more powerful ones found in sports and luxury vehicles. Those engines use a very high compression ratio, making them more vulnerable to knocking, so recommended fuels have octane ratings of 91 or higher. Using premium gas in an engine designed to run on regular doesn't improve performance.

Some engines for which premium gasoline is recommended can run on regular without problems. That's because the engine's knock-sensor system detects the presence of uncontrolled burning in the chambers. When it does, the engine's computer-control system retards engine timing, eliminating the knock but slightly reducing power. If you don't mind giving up some performance, you can run these engines on less-expensive regular gasoline. To check whether your engine is capable of running on regular gas, read your owner's manual or ask your dealership's service department.
Old 10-08-06, 01:13 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by TripleDES
Consider this, the relative difference between regular and premium gas stays fairly constant (10 to 15 cents more for premium give or take a couple cents).
The spread between premium and regular gas must be narrower on the west coast. On the east coast, it is about .20 to .35 more per gallon.

Last edited by JorgeGVB; 10-08-06 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-08-06, 01:25 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by TripleDES
Jorge, Consumer Reports doesn't say Premium is a waste of money, they claim it can be a waste. Here's the article you mentioned:
Thanks. Your point is well take, but at a savings of $100-$200 a year it pays for a detailing supplies for a year. I think you can drive safely on regular gas without any real concern though. The first time you think you hear any knocking, you can always switch back to premuim gas.

I drove my last vehicle, which called for premuim gas too, for 65,000 and never heard it knock once using regular gas.
Old 10-08-06, 01:50 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JorgeGVB
The spread between premium and regular gas must be narrower on the west coast. On the east coast, it is about .20 to .35 more per gallon.
Wow...this certainly makes a significant difference if the disparity is that great.

Originally Posted by JorgeGVB
Thanks. Your point is well take, but at a savings of $100-$200 a year it pays for a detailing supplies for a year. I think you can drive safely on regular gas without any real concern though. The first time you think you hear any knocking, you can always switch back to premuim gas.
Yes, keeping your RX looking good is important too.
Old 10-08-06, 04:56 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, I think people can use whatever and do whatever they want to their cars. It is their money. I would actually monitor the MPG from each grade of gas though and then see if there is a worth while difference. Honestly, I get better MPG when I use premium, but I haven't worked out the numbers to see of the slight increase in MPG from premium equals out the extra cost. I just never too the time to do the math. I will say I wouldn't wait until I hear knocking before using a high grade of fuel though. If you hear knocking it is pretty bad already because the RX like most modern cars is equiped with anti knock sensors. This system retards ignition timing if it hears knock to prevent engine damage. If you yourself hear the knock that means the car is knocking well beyond what the anti knock system can contain.

That said, if you see abosulotely no difference between any grade of gas and perfformance/MPG then use the lowest grade of gas you can find.
Old 10-09-06, 10:53 AM
jamesfabin
Driver

I'm in utter shock to see people who drive a Luxury vehicle contemplating using a lower octane gas to save pennies. I only use 91 octane in my Lexus RX350 & BMW Z4 3.0 - if I was too poor to afford the extra $3 a tank I wouldn't have purchased a Luxury vehicles.

My recommendation: Use the fuel your vehicle was designed for. If you wanted a cheaper, less effecient, less powerful vehicle, buy a non-luxury vehicle. The additional cost of 91 octane gas is less then 2 Starbucks a month - who driving a Lexus can't afford that?

James
Old 10-09-06, 01:01 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Originally Posted by jamesfabin
I'm in utter shock to see people who drive a Luxury vehicle contemplating using a lower octane gas to save pennies. I only use 91 octane in my Lexus RX350 & BMW Z4 3.0 - if I was too poor to afford the extra $3 a tank I wouldn't have purchased a Luxury vehicles.

My recommendation: Use the fuel your vehicle was designed for. If you wanted a cheaper, less effecient, less powerful vehicle, buy a non-luxury vehicle. The additional cost of 91 octane gas is less then 2 Starbucks a month - who driving a Lexus can't afford that?

James
With that thinking I guess you pay full price for your Lexus? If not, why not? Were you too poor to pay full price? Of course not, that is nonsense talk. You got the best deal you could to save yourself some money.

Sorry James, but your are not understanding the point about the octane issue. The point is your vehicle runs the same with regular or premium gas. So why pay the extra money for nothing? Over 4-5 years of ownership you could save about $1,000. So it is more money than you are talking about over time.
Old 10-09-06, 02:23 PM
TripleDES
Pole Position

Jorge, I see the point you're making. However, the RX engine was designed with Premium in mind, not regular. Using a lesser grade is actually going against the recommendation of the manufacturer and you risk less performance and perhaps even engine damage.

Yes, chances are most owners won't see a significant difference between premium and regular. Most owners may not even experience engine knocking. However, the risk is present. It's up to the individual owner whether or not to assume that risk.
Old 10-09-06, 03:51 PM
jamesfabin
Driver

TripleDES is right - the Lexus was DESIGNED for 91 octane. The computers will adjust for the non-recommended slightly (and oh so very slightly less expensive) cheaper lower octane gas - but if you are worried about that cost you should just get a cheaper vehicle. The Hyundai Santa Fe is a good alternative and only requires 87 octane gas. I don't understand someone buying luxury vehicles and then wondering if they can save pennies here and there by using a lower grade gas. You could save more by not washing your car each week, just run it thru a drive-thru wash once a month and you'd be $60 ahead each month. I still stand behind use what is recommended to keep your car running as it should.

As far as price paid - I pay a fair price and always order all the options - no cheaping out to save $1000 here and there on options. I have no problem doing that - if it was an issue I'd get a non-Luxury car that I could afford. I guess it all comes with how you look at a Luxury car. Putting in 87 octane gas in a Lexus is like seeing a guy in an Armani suit putting something on Lay-a-way at K-Mart....just doesn't make sense.

James
Old 10-10-06, 06:45 AM
lok888
Pole Position

I use 91. However, some gas stations in my area only offering three different grades of gasoline (i.e. 87, 89 and 93). So I have to buy the expensive one. Sometime gas stations offer five different grades.
Old 10-10-06, 07:39 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

I am not really trying to influence anyone on what gas to use. You should do whatever you are most comfortable with. However, I think some of you are reading way too much into this issue. 87, 89, & 91 octane does not mean good, better, best.

Car manufactures know higher octane reduces the chance of pings and knocks, so they recommend it. Your owner's manual only requires the use of unleaded gas. It is pretty rare to hear newer engines knock nowadays no matter what gas you use.

I remember about 20 years ago, I had a car that only required lower octane gas. However, if I didn't use premium gas it knocked terribly. I enjoyed that car, so I was happy to pay the extra money to make it run better.

This is not a matter of being cheap. If I was cheap, I would buy used cars with 100K+ miles and drive them to they die. That would really save money!
Old 10-10-06, 08:01 AM
Bongos
Rookie

my .02, If you can afford a +$40,000 car, you can afford to give it the fuel it needs to perform, it's like anything else, when your tires are balding, do you put firestones or Michelins? sure firestone is a good economic tire, but the michelins will go on my RX350...

Quick Reply: Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)