RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: What gas do you put into your 2RX?
Premium
0%
Medium
0%
Regular Unleaded
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 06:18 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Emilaman
Yes, and it is tested by me, there is enough difference in performance between 87 and 91 to pay 20 cent more per gallon. And there is also huge difference in gasoline brand, on Chevron premium gas im driving twice more than on BP (ARCO) premium gas
ARCO is its own brand. Is BP/AMOCO.
Old 01-02-12, 07:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

The Ethanol is killing our fuel millage!! But when some chosen ones are making a killing on it, do you really think they will stop it?
Old 01-02-12, 08:45 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
The Ethanol is killing our fuel millage!! But when some chosen ones are making a killing on it, do you really think they will stop it?
I live about 5 miles from the demarkation of where ethanol is required and where it is not. Non-ethanol laden fuel gives me 1.5 to 2 MPG better fuel milage. I do mostly highway and rural driving anyway so I get excellent milage in my 2004 RX 330 AWD, averaging 23 MPG over the life of the vehicle.

IMO, Ethanol is a scam fostered on us by lobbyists and their political puppets. If one looks around at the research, there are a lot of data to support that opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

The claimed goal of Ethanol was to reduce our consumption of foreign oil. Then why was fuel our chief 2011 US export? Last year we wound up exporting huge amounts of fuel to other countries while we still managed to increase our foreign oil imports. Our oil industry is selling fuel on foreign markets rather than reducing our US fuel prices and reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Make a lot of sense to you? If it does then you have a future in politics.
Old 01-02-12, 08:52 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
ARCO is its own brand. Is BP/AMOCO.
Around here in CA the Arco stations have BP stickers on the pumps.
Old 01-02-12, 11:38 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jgr7
Around here in CA the Arco stations have BP stickers on the pumps.
I had remembered ARCO from my days in PA as they were headquartered in Philadelphia. See that they became a subsidiary of BP in 2000. Learn something new every day.
Old 01-02-12, 11:44 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jfelbab
IMO, Ethanol is a scam fostered on us by lobbyists and their political puppets. If one looks around at the research, there are a lot of data to support that opinion.
Would rather they put in ethanol than lead, MBTE or other nasty compounds in my fuel. However, I agree with you that Big Ag and politics has a lot to do with this.
Old 01-03-12, 10:49 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jfelbab
I live about 5 miles from the demarkation of where ethanol is required and where it is not. Non-ethanol laden fuel gives me 1.5 to 2 MPG better fuel milage. I do mostly highway and rural driving anyway so I get excellent milage in my 2004 RX 330 AWD, averaging 23 MPG over the life of the vehicle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel

The claimed goal of Ethanol was to reduce our consumption of foreign oil. Then why was fuel our chief 2011 US export? Last year we wound up exporting huge amounts of fuel to other countries while we still managed to increase our foreign oil imports. Our oil industry is selling fuel on foreign markets rather than reducing our US fuel prices and reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Make a lot of sense to you? If it does then you have a future in politics.

Yep ^^^^^ I loose anywhere from 2 to 3 mpg`s on this CRAP!
Old 01-03-12, 08:48 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep ^^^^^ I loose anywhere from 2 to 3 mpg`s on this CRAP!
The ethanol story in the US is a story of vote-buying, subsidizing special interests, and corruption. The billions of public money spent have 1. not reduced the use of energy : 1. it takes more energy to produce ethanol than the ethanol produces; 2. It reduces mileage since ethanol gives 15-25% less energy per galloon; 3. By refusing to allow the direct import of ethanol that is produced at higher efficiency and lower cost - e.g. from Brazilian sugarcane - major costs are imposed on the consumer. The method of allowing imports through the 'Caribbean preference scheme' mneans that lower grade Brazilian ethanol, for example, is re-processed in the Caribbean so as to achieve preference status. This gives some privileged investor nice returns and moves jobs offshore. 4. The pollution from ethanol is worse than the pollution from gasoline. In one word, the whole issue 'sucks'. The politicians win.
Old 01-04-12, 10:17 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=pauljcl;6922053]The ethanol story in the US is a story of vote-buying, subsidizing special interests, and corruption. The billions of public money spent have 1. not reduced the use of energy : 1. it takes more energy to produce ethanol than the ethanol produces; 2. It reduces mileage since ethanol gives 15-25% less energy per galloon; 3. By refusing to allow the direct import of ethanol that is produced at higher efficiency and lower cost - e.g. from Brazilian sugarcane - major costs are imposed on the consumer. The method of allowing imports through the 'Caribbean preference scheme' mneans that lower grade Brazilian ethanol, for example, is re-processed in the Caribbean so as to achieve preference status. This gives some privileged investor nice returns and moves jobs offshore. 4. The pollution from ethanol is worse than the pollution from gasoline. In one word, the whole issue 'sucks'. The politicians win.

Yep, but one has to ask.......When are the people ever going to win?
Old 01-04-12, 01:10 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=lexus114;6923106]
Originally Posted by pauljcl
The ethanol story in the US is a story of vote-buying, subsidizing special interests, and corruption. The billions of public money spent have 1. not reduced the use of energy : 1. it takes more energy to produce ethanol than the ethanol produces; 2. It reduces mileage since ethanol gives 15-25% less energy per galloon; 3. By refusing to allow the direct import of ethanol that is produced at higher efficiency and lower cost - e.g. from Brazilian sugarcane - major costs are imposed on the consumer. The method of allowing imports through the 'Caribbean preference scheme' mneans that lower grade Brazilian ethanol, for example, is re-processed in the Caribbean so as to achieve preference status. This gives some privileged investor nice returns and moves jobs offshore. 4. The pollution from ethanol is worse than the pollution from gasoline. In one word, the whole issue 'sucks'. The politicians win.

Yep, but one has to ask.......When are the people ever going to win?
We'll start winning when we stop playing this class warfare game the politicians want to use to divide us. Working people will not prosper if businesses don't prosper. We can't have only one group of people win and the other lose. We all have to win or we all lose. Unions, and corporate types have to stop making the other an enemy. We all have to stop buying into these political games.

Someone just recently sent me this list. It is significant in its importance to our future.
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it!
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that is the beginning of the end of any nation.
Today we are being given two options and neither will work unless we all recognize that we are ONE nation. We are not Democrats or Republicans. We all have to shoulder the responsibility of working together for the common good.

I've been a union member for a lot of years and then I was a business man for a lot of years. I know the stress and worry about putting food on the table and cloths on the kids and I know the stress and worry about making a payroll for my employees.

I recall a time when my business was struggling and my workers came to me and offered suggestions on how to cut costs and offered reduce their pay to help us through the hard period. We worked together and we recovered and prospered. We didn't have to cut one job. They helped save the company and their jobs and I've never forgotten them for it. I wonder why we are not seeing that cooperation today. Is it due to our politicians dividing us? I think it is.

This message is clear to me. If I win, you win. If I lose, you lose. If you lose, I lose. We are all in this together and I believe capitalism works when we don't play political games.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic.
Old 01-04-12, 07:37 PM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=jfelbab;6923430]

We'll start winning when we stop playing this class warfare game the politicians want to use to divide us. Working people will not prosper if businesses don't prosper. We can't have only one group of people win and the other lose. We all have to win or we all lose. Unions, and corporate types have to stop making the other an enemy. We all have to stop buying into these political games.

Someone just recently sent me this list. It is significant in its importance to our future.

Today we are being given two options and neither will work unless we all recognize that we are ONE nation. We are not Democrats or Republicans. We all have to shoulder the responsibility of working together for the common good.

I've been a union member for a lot of years and then I was a business man for a lot of years. I know the stress and worry about putting food on the table and cloths on the kids and I know the stress and worry about making a payroll for my employees.

I recall a time when my business was struggling and my workers came to me and offered suggestions on how to cut costs and offered reduce their pay to help us through the hard period. We worked together and we recovered and prospered. We didn't have to cut one job. They helped save the company and their jobs and I've never forgotten them for it. I wonder why we are not seeing that cooperation today. Is it due to our politicians dividing us? I think it is.

This message is clear to me. If I win, you win. If I lose, you lose. If you lose, I lose. We are all in this together and I believe capitalism works when we don't play political games.

I apologize for taking this thread off topic.
Yes - we're really off-thread, but the issue is of importance. More so than whether to use premium fuel or not!
One has to wonder whether 'democracy' - one person, one vote - does not over time, due to corruption of politicians and greed of the electorate, degenerate into 'electing the person who promises to rob Peter to pay Paul ('Paul' being the metaphor for largest number of voters). What protects us against this is 1. Honesty of those one elects, 2. Education of the electorate, 3. Belief in a society where work and merit can provide success. [I am sure there are other criteria, but these are important. In an interesting book called "The Birth of Plenty", Bernstein analyzes why societies became 'prosperous', and concludes that four factors cause it: a. Secure property rights, b. a scientific method to understand the world, c. a capital marketplace that can fund development, and d. good communications of accurate information and transport. - I am really synthesizing - sorry!! -- We now stand where property rights are less secure as government invades privacy and incomes, and 'scientific method' is replaced with demagoguery, and also that information is not accurate (lies and 'spin'). I agree that 'class warfare' is destructive fort eh country, though maybe advantageous to certain politicians in the short term...
In summary - we need moral beacons and - as you point out - a sense of unity.
Old 01-05-12, 08:20 PM
jednav
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In all of my vehicles - 8 total, I use premium grade to save money and to keep the engine cleaner.
Old 01-06-12, 04:59 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

In an interesting book called "The Birth of Plenty", Bernstein analyzes why societies became 'prosperous', and concludes that four factors cause it: a. Secure property rights, b. a scientific method to understand the world, c. a capital marketplace that can fund development, and d. good communications of accurate information and transport. - I am really synthesizing - sorry!! -- We now stand where property rights are less secure as government invades privacy and incomes, and 'scientific method' is replaced with demagoguery, and also that information is not accurate (lies and 'spin'). I agree that 'class warfare' is destructive fort eh country, though maybe advantageous to certain politicians in the short term...
In summary - we need moral beacons and - as you point out - a sense of unity.
Pauljcl: Are you a Boglehead? I see you read Bernstein.
Old 01-06-12, 06:51 AM
pauljcl
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
Pauljcl: Are you a Boglehead? I see you read Bernstein.
If I am one, I didn't know it, because I don't know what a Boglehead is. Could you explain?
Old 01-06-12, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

If I am one, I didn't know it, because I don't know what a Boglehead is. Could you explain?

X2 on that one!

Quick Reply: Do you need Premium Gas in the 2RX (merged discussion threads)