RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Form-Fit Hood Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-06, 11:26 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Form-Fit Hood Deflector

Hell All,

I have always installed a hood deflector on all my vehicles due to rock chips and it has paid dividends. I did not intall one on my LS430 however because I wasn't sure how it would look and thought it may take away from the loks of the LS.

In any case, here are some pics of my hood deflector of choice. The Form-Fit are really form fitting as you can see and I believe in Japan, Toyota uses this brand and rebadges it as their own.

I have had these deflectors on black cars and from the front you cannot even tell there is a deflector on.
Attached Thumbnails Form-Fit Hood Deflector-form-fit-on-rx-1.jpg  
Old 07-25-06, 11:28 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Well here is another view. Seems it would only let me upload one pic per post.
Attached Thumbnails Form-Fit Hood Deflector-form-fit-on-rx-2.jpg  
Old 07-26-06, 04:57 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up hood deflecter

Hey where did you get this deflecter? BTW it looks nice...

I have Flint Mica colored 2004 RX. Do you think it would look good on that also?

Thanks.
Old 07-30-06, 06:07 AM
crosborne
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used clear mask. You can't see it at all from 3-5 feet away.

http://www.clearmask.com/
Old 07-30-06, 05:57 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That does look good and differant too!

Where did you buy this at???
Old 07-31-06, 01:38 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
Hey where did you get this deflecter? BTW it looks nice...

I have Flint Mica colored 2004 RX. Do you think it would look good on that also?

Thanks.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out. I think it would look hot on Flint Mica and nearly impossible to see on black onyx. I am sure it would look good on silver too. I don't think it would look bad with any color as a matter of fact.

Anyway I worked out a good deal for us RX folks. Call and ask for Gary at 800-587-9166. Mention my name (Hai) and he will sell it to you for $89.95 plus shipping. I buy from him often and he is fair with shipping charges.

If you are in the Southeast Florida area, you can pick it up and save some shipping charges. Shipping was $20 for me to NC. The box is big is why the charge is high but he didn't soak me with shipping like a lot of merchants do.
Old 07-31-06, 01:39 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crosborne
I used clear mask. You can't see it at all from 3-5 feet away.

http://www.clearmask.com/

Clear mask is nice but expensive. It doesn't work well on light colors especially white since it will yellow with time.
Old 07-31-06, 03:37 PM
crosborne
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
Clear mask is nice but expensive. It doesn't work well on light colors especially white since it will yellow with time.
Lexus vehicles and repainting hoods are expensive. The $400.00 for the clear mask is worth it to me. As for the yellowing, I have no experience with that. If you like the deflector that is fine, I just wanted to show that there are alternatives that others may not have known about.
Old 07-31-06, 10:56 PM
asimo
Rookie

i prefer clearmask to the deflector, although the deflector is nice. as for yellowish, i know that some brand will turn yellowish after 2-3 years. i personaly use and recoment the bra that 3M makes. they dont turn yellow and had warranty on them from turning yellow. had my rx with the bra for 1.5 yrs now and it still good as new.
Old 08-01-06, 04:41 AM
dhamaka127
Driver

Thumbs up

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out. I think it would look hot on Flint Mica and nearly impossible to see on black onyx. I am sure it would look good on silver too. I don't think it would look bad with any color as a matter of fact.

Anyway I worked out a good deal for us RX folks. Call and ask for Gary at 800-587-9166. Mention my name (Hai) and he will sell it to you for $89.95 plus shipping. I buy from him often and he is fair with shipping charges.

If you are in the Southeast Florida area, you can pick it up and save some shipping charges. Shipping was $20 for me to NC. The box is big is why the charge is high but he didn't soak me with shipping like a lot of merchants do.

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-01-06, 09:19 AM
Battousai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by asimo
i prefer clearmask to the deflector, although the deflector is nice. as for yellowish, i know that some brand will turn yellowish after 2-3 years. i personaly use and recoment the bra that 3M makes. they dont turn yellow and had warranty on them from turning yellow. had my rx with the bra for 1.5 yrs now and it still good as new.

did u have someone installing them or you do it yourself? if u do it yourself was it difficult? does it have bubbles?

what part of the body can u get the clear mask for? what if u peel it after 2 to 3 years (because u need to place a new one on) will it leave sticky stain on the surface?

sorry in advance for these questions, as I am very interested in protecting my car from chippings
Old 08-01-06, 12:51 PM
asimo
Rookie

Originally Posted by Battousai
did u have someone installing them or you do it yourself? if u do it yourself was it difficult? does it have bubbles?

what part of the body can u get the clear mask for? what if u peel it after 2 to 3 years (because u need to place a new one on) will it leave sticky stain on the surface?

sorry in advance for these questions, as I am very interested in protecting my car from chippings

i had someone intsall mine. he works at his home so i had a chance to see him install. i had mine installed on the side miror, front 1/4 of the hood and whole bumper. difficulties installing them...i guess that depend on the car and the installer. you need to strecth on coners and use heat gun too. i prefer to had someone install it as the film is exp and i dont want to blow it.
i dont know if it will leave any sticky stain but i think 3M had a spray to remove adhesive.
Old 08-01-06, 06:36 PM
crosborne
Rookie

I have the 3M Clear mask and I installed it myself. My experience level is above average and I would not recommend it to a casual DIYer. Besides if you have it installed professionally you have recourse if it is messed up.
Old 08-02-06, 06:15 PM
RX400h4Jim
Driver School Candidate

Hai,

Thank you very much for this information. How does this deflector mount to the hood? Is there any interference with opening the hood: Is there anything included to keep the deflector from hitting the hood and fenders when it is buffeted by wind at high speed? Does Gary work for a Lexus Dealer, or is he an aftermarket merchant? I'm very interested in getting a deflector for my new RX400h. I'm fairly sure that a deflector that properly fits the RX350 will also fit the RX400h, but would like to know that if Gary says it will that he knows what he's talking about!

I've had a deflector (stock Toyota) on each of my last five vehicles. They were all top of the line Toyota pickups - the last two were Tundras. The Tundra versions were stiff enough that nothing was required to keep them away from the hood. The first three had little rubber cones with self-stick bottoms that were placed on the hood to keep the deflector from banging. They were forever falling off, and cost a fortune to keep replacing.

Thanks again for sharing this with us, and for working a VERY GOOD deal with Gary.
Old 08-03-06, 08:33 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RX400h4Jim
Hai,

Thank you very much for this information. How does this deflector mount to the hood? Is there any interference with opening the hood: Is there anything included to keep the deflector from hitting the hood and fenders when it is buffeted by wind at high speed? Does Gary work for a Lexus Dealer, or is he an aftermarket merchant? I'm very interested in getting a deflector for my new RX400h. I'm fairly sure that a deflector that properly fits the RX350 will also fit the RX400h, but would like to know that if Gary says it will that he knows what he's talking about!

I've had a deflector (stock Toyota) on each of my last five vehicles. They were all top of the line Toyota pickups - the last two were Tundras. The Tundra versions were stiff enough that nothing was required to keep them away from the hood. The first three had little rubber cones with self-stick bottoms that were placed on the hood to keep the deflector from banging. They were forever falling off, and cost a fortune to keep replacing.

Thanks again for sharing this with us, and for working a VERY GOOD deal with Gary.
Gary is an aftermarket merchant. He knows what he is talking about from my past experience. You will have to ask him whether this deflector will fit the 400h or is there a different one. My last three vehicles have had this brand of deflector and it has never disappointed me. Toyota Japan uses this brand and rebadges it as a Toyota product.

As for how the deflector is held on: There are clips with screws (no drilling required) you use to hold the deflector on for 8 locations. Their are also half spheres that stick to 3 locations acrss the top of the deflector but I think they are there for added protection should you hit something. There is no movement of the deflector due to the wind at all and I doubt you even need those half-spehers but I put them on there just because the intructions said to. The installation tooke me about 45 minutes but I was meticulous about lining the delflector on perfectly to the lines of the RX. Hint about the half-spheres: wife the area you will stick the half-spheres on with alchohol and they will stay on no problem.

As for interence with the hood opening. None at all. The only time you will have to take it off is when you wax. Be careful when you remove the deflector since the tension from the deflector being held in place may send your hardware flying. Make sure you go slow and hold the deflector down so it does spring up on you and send your clip and screws flying.

Last edited by USLEX; 08-04-06 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Form-Fit Hood Deflector