RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Form-Fit Hood Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 08:02 AM
aalexychic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crosborne
I used clear mask. You can't see it at all from 3-5 feet away.

http://www.clearmask.com/
I also have the clear bra. I have it covering my hood, bumper, headlamps and mirrors. Not only does it keep rock chips off but it helps with getting the bugs and tar off when I wash the car. I also like that it allows the paint to remain the same even with the sun (black bras keep the area protected from the sun and some fading of color on the rest of the car is noticable when the bra is removed). 3M makes a great kit. Have it professionally installed though, it comes with a warranty. On my white RX330 you can't even see the seams.
Old 08-04-06, 08:05 AM
aalexychic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crosborne
Lexus vehicles and repainting hoods are expensive. The $400.00 for the clear mask is worth it to me. As for the yellowing, I have no experience with that. If you like the deflector that is fine, I just wanted to show that there are alternatives that others may not have known about.
Depends on what company you use, but I haven't had any yellowing either. Like I said in my earlier post mine was made by 3M and it has been on for 2 years without yellowing. I work at another dealership that use a different company and I still haven't seen any yellowing on theirs either.
Old 08-04-06, 09:20 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aalexychic
Depends on what company you use, but I haven't had any yellowing either. Like I said in my earlier post mine was made by 3M and it has been on for 2 years without yellowing. I work at another dealership that use a different company and I still haven't seen any yellowing on theirs either.
I have the 3M (Xpel) protective film on my 2002 BMW 530i. After 4+ years, still no signs of any yellowing. It's held up great. Needless to say our new 2006 RX400h is now protected with the same "clear bra" film.
Old 08-04-06, 09:22 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by litzdog911
I have the 3M (Xpel) protective film on my 2002 BMW 530i. After 4+ years, still no signs of any yellowing. It's held up great. Needless to say our new 2006 RX400h is now protected with the same "clear bra" film.
Here's a link to some photos of my BMW's Xpel film treatment ....
http://members.roadfly.com/litzdog911/xpel.html
Old 08-10-06, 05:33 PM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been out. I think it would look hot on Flint Mica and nearly impossible to see on black onyx. I am sure it would look good on silver too. I don't think it would look bad with any color as a matter of fact.

Anyway I worked out a good deal for us RX folks. Call and ask for Gary at 800-587-9166. Mention my name (Hai) and he will sell it to you for $89.95 plus shipping. I buy from him often and he is fair with shipping charges.

If you are in the Southeast Florida area, you can pick it up and save some shipping charges. Shipping was $20 for me to NC. The box is big is why the charge is high but he didn't soak me with shipping like a lot of merchants do.

i just received my order today and it does not come with the hardware , not sure because the box had a open ripped off hole and there is no hardware kit found inside, i was calling the guy and no answer at all, i 'll try calling tommorow @ AM
Old 08-10-06, 06:50 PM
ndorjee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dhamaka127
Hey where did you get this deflecter? BTW it looks nice...

I have Flint Mica colored 2004 RX. Do you think it would look good on that also?

Thanks.
I have it installed on my 05RX330 Flint Mica. It blends in very good. It looks very good too. I prefer these deflectors over the 3M sticker. Installation is not very difficult. Lexus in Canada has been selling these for around $100 Cdn for some time now.
Old 08-11-06, 06:50 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexigirl06
i just received my order today and it does not come with the hardware , not sure because the box had a open ripped off hole and there is no hardware kit found inside, i was calling the guy and no answer at all, i 'll try calling tommorow @ AM

Thta's odd. As I recall, my hardware was heat sealed with the plastic the deflector came in. I assume the purpose was for the hardware not to get lost in shipping situations like yours. Anyway, give Gary a call. I am sure he will take care of you.
Old 08-11-06, 09:21 AM
lexigirl06
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003LS430
Thta's odd. As I recall, my hardware was heat sealed with the plastic the deflector came in. I assume the purpose was for the hardware not to get lost in shipping situations like yours. Anyway, give Gary a call. I am sure he will take care of you.

the plastic heat sealed had a ripped at the very end of the plastic wrap , i guess that's where the hardwares placed and sealed , but i called Ken today one of the service guy and said he'll send me the hardware today . by the way how's the installation? i was trying to fit the deflector
but kind off bend to the mid of the plastic upward and it needs a little bending during installation on both L/R sides. ...
Old 08-11-06, 10:00 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexigirl06
the plastic heat sealed had a ripped at the very end of the plastic wrap , i guess that's where the hardwares placed and sealed , but i called Ken today one of the service guy and said he'll send me the hardware today . by the way how's the installation? i was trying to fit the deflector
but kind off bend to the mid of the plastic upward and it needs a little bending during installation on both L/R sides. ...
The installation would be better with a helping hand but I did it alone just fine. The 3M tape can be taken off and back on again. I suggest you wash your car beofore installation and wipe the inside lip of the hood before installing. I moved tape a couple of times to line the the deflector perfectly.

The deflector does bend during install with is one reason it looks so nice. Careful with those 3M domes. Those buggars are sticky and can be a pain to remove once put down. As a matter of fact I reccommen putting the deflector down without the domes then mark where the domes should be put down. Remove the four outer clips then stick the domes and reinstall the 4 outer clips. The reason I say this is when I measured off with the instructions, the middle dome does not even touch the deflector. Maybe it is just in case something heavy fell on the deflector but I don't think it is really necessary to have that 3rd one anyway.
Old 08-20-06, 11:44 AM
RX400h4Jim
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I got my Form-Fit hood protector (manufactured by Focus Auto Design in Calgary AB, Canada) from Gary at Ultimate automotive in Delray Beach, FL as suggested by 2003LS430 (Hai), and installed it this weekend. This is exactly what I was looking for! The part number for the RX400h is HDW24F05S. Gary only charged me $79.95 for the part and $20 for shipping. This is a very well made product. It’s 3/16 inches thick. I did the install myself in about 45 minutes. Mine was a bit dirty when I got it so I first cleaned it with plexiglass cleaner. The RX400h part comes with and requires 6 clips and 8 3M Bumpons. Hai’s suggestion to locate the Bumpons (at least in the hood area) AFTER you have mounted the protector is right on. My Lexus is Flint Mica and I think the hood looks perfect on my new chariot! I’ve posted pictures in the Photo Gallery here: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery//sh...0&ppuser=53374.

Again, thanks to 2003LS430 (Hai) for pointing out this product!

Last edited by RX400h4Jim; 08-22-06 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 08:39 AM
JorgeGVB
Driver

Thanks for the lead, I ordered one from Gary today. He knew exactly what I was talking about and it took less than 5 minutes to place the order with him.

Last edited by JorgeGVB; 08-21-06 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 04:32 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RX400h4Jim
I got my Form-Fit hood protector (manufactured by Focus Auto Design in Calgary AB, Canada) from Gary at Ultimate automotive in Delray Beach, FL as suggested by 2003LS430 (Hai), and installed it this weekend. This is exactly what I was looking for! The part number for the RX400h is HDW24F05S. Gary only charged me $79.95 for the part and $20 for shipping. This is a very well made product. It’s 3/16 inches thick. I did the install myself in about 45 minutes. Mine was a bit dirty when I got it so I first cleaned it with plexiglass cleaner. The RX400h part comes with and requires 6 clips and 8 3M Bumpons. Hai’s suggestion to locate the Bumpons (at least in the hood area) AFTER you have mounted the protector is right on. My Lexus is Flint Mica and I think the hood looks perfect on my new chariot! I’ve posted pictures in the Photo Gallery here: https://www.clublexus.com/gallery//s...0&ppuser=53374.

Again, thanks to 2003LS430 (Hai) for pointing out this product!
Wow looks nice. I bet you can't even tell it is there on a black RX. That was the case when I put one on a black Prius.

By the way, the font/size combo you are using is tiny.
Old 08-21-06, 05:28 PM
richlexus
Driver School Candidate

are you guys taking the deflector off when you wash your cars to prevent water spots from developing under the deflector? if so is it really easy to take on and off after the intial install? im really interested in this but the water is so hard out here that water spots develop really easily and can etch the paint.
thanks
Old 08-21-06, 08:42 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by richlexus
are you guys taking the deflector off when you wash your cars to prevent water spots from developing under the deflector? if so is it really easy to take on and off after the intial install? im really interested in this but the water is so hard out here that water spots develop really easily and can etch the paint.
thanks
I have the a Form-Fit on my Sienna as well and I take it off only when I wax the vehicle onde a year. I just use a microfiber towel at the end of a stick to dry off under there after normal washings. No problems that I can see after taking it off my Sienna and I have had it for almost 2 years.

When you do remove it just be careful the parts do not fly off or fall into your engine bay when you take it off. Otherwise you are good to go.
Old 08-27-06, 02:57 PM
JorgeGVB
Driver

I installed mine this weekend. It was pretty easy and took about 30 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Form-Fit Hood Deflector-lexus-front-web.jpg  

Quick Reply: Form-Fit Hood Deflector