RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 02:33 PM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended warranty

I am new at this site and just purchased a rx 330 2005 Thundercloud, loaded, GPS, ML, FWD
My concern is the need for additional warranty. Presently it has 9010 miles with the Lexus 3 year 100k waranty. Should I purchase additional? The dealer is offering a 2 year additional extended warranty with the 100k for an $1500. Is this neccessary and recomended?
I would like to know what others advice on this issue.
Old 07-18-06, 03:44 PM
TLMYERS
Driver School Candidate

Default Extended Warranty

I was wondering the same thing. This has been talked about many times. I read all the posts after doing a search on this topic. I've come to the conclusion after reading all the posts that I am going to keep my money in my pocket. Good Luck
Old 07-18-06, 07:44 PM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

There's too much to say about the "extended warranty" (really a service agreement) to start all over again.

Use the "search" function and your will find a complete discussion and a full report.

And not many buyers.
Old 07-18-06, 08:30 PM
ricasoli
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ricasoli
I am new at this site and just purchased a rx 330 2005 Thundercloud, loaded, GPS, ML, FWD
My concern is the need for additional warranty. Presently it has 9010 miles with the Lexus 3 year 100k waranty. Should I purchase additional? The dealer is offering a 2 year additional extended warranty with the 100k for an $1500. Is this neccessary and recomended?
I would like to know what others advice on this issue.
I apreciate your comments. I agree that an extended warraanty is not really necessary. I also read the previous discussions on this subject, there all many different views, however, given that Lexus has a great quality record, extended warranties are not really necessary as long as you take care on the vehicle. I just wanted some additional comments and wisdom on this subject.
Old 07-19-06, 08:54 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to CL, ricasoli!

That's a great question, and one I've done a little wrestling with myself here lately. I've found there are a number of extended warranties you may purchase - either from Lexus, or other resources. My service advisor says his service department offers one that causes a little more paperwork for them, but is actually superior to the one offered by Lexus. It's cheaper and offers a longer term of coverage (if I want it) - plus I don't need ANY coverage yet!

Here's how it works. Any of these "warranties" are really nothing more than insurance policies - and like your insurance, you should tailor your policy to your needs. Of course you can buy "full coverage" that will cover practically everything, but most people find it much more economical to cover only the major items, like drive train, air conditioning, electronics (body computers, etc) - you know, the EXPENSIVE stuff. Normal wear items, belts, hoses, brakes, etc. won't be covered by any but the MOST expensive "warranties" (what you are doing with these is essentially putting planned service on layaway).

Check the existing warranty on your vehicle. There's no point in buying an "extended" warranty until near the time your factory warranty expires. I recently bought out my leased RX after 3 years with a year and lots of miles to go on the factory warranty. Of course, the finance guy tried to sell me an extended Lexus warranty - it's his job. I'd already talked to the service people about this, and will probably buy an "outside" warranty they are used to working with for more coverage at less cost. It pays to do a little research before you buy - I could have been paying TWICE for the next 12 months of coverage, had I signed up for the Lexus warranty.

Check with the people at the shop you frequent - they probably have a relationship with a good company, or at least one that pays them quickly and fairly. After all, what you are looking for is not always the cheapest deal, but the best one to get you back on the road with a minimum of expense and trouble.