RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 10:45 PM
srashid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barry_s
Just put a very small piece of double-sided tape (such as carpet tape) inside your socket. It will hold the bolt when you remove it and you can do the same to replace the bolt without fear of losing it.
Thanks for that tip, I'll give it a try.
Old 07-20-06, 09:19 AM
sakaike
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuslover
sakaike, good questions!

here are some thoughts:

i don't recall the amount of space under the headunit. i think it might fit, but then you would have to velcro the SLI to the bottom of the HU. i think that would be ok, but i'd worry about it falling off or shaking loose at some point and rattling around. then you'd have to remove the wood trim again to fix it.

i also wanted the SLI to be easily accessible for firmware upgrades. initially i didn't think it was a big deal but my friend actually bought his just before the group buy and that one did not have the I Agree Bypass, so he took it out and sent it back to have it updated (and it took very little time). so it is possible you have to get to it at some point in the future.

the other thing is i wanted the SLI AUX RCA jacks to be accessible in case i have a non-ipod use for it. the floor panel makes it easy to get to it as well as run a second set of RCA cables out and under the mat for use. (like for a satellite radio tuner or something)

you are right - i could have run the thing straight down the center stack, but as far as i could tell there wasn't an easy way to get underneath the shifter and out. i wanted to avoid drilling holes at all costs, and keep in mind that although the cable may be sorta thin, the iPod plug attached to the cable is quite big, so anything you are trying to feed it thru must be as large/wide as that plug! the floor mat solution or the tuck method to the little tray seemed better for me b/c i don't want that much slack around the sliding console area for a nice clean install.

hope that helps!
Thanks for the fast reply. Those insights do help. I wasn't aware that the Vaistech unit was f/w upgradeable, and that they indeed support it in that manner. The potential for rattling was also something I have not given enough thought to as well.

In my situation, I don't have an iPod. I have a Rio Karma, and will likely remain an "anything but iPod" guy until they decide to support OGG/Vorbis (I'm not holding my breath). What I'm thinking of doing is using the aux cable of the Vaistech, cutting the end off, soldering it to an aux-in connector, drilling a small hole to mount the outside of the connector somewhere discrete on the "underhang" of the center stack, and then using a patch cable to connect to the MP3 player, which will reside in the center console.

If I can confirm that the unit will fit where I want, I can secure it firmly someway (maybe with wireties), and that removing and reinstalling it for the occasional f/w upgrade is not too big of a hassle, I may decide to go this route.

If anyone has any feedback or thoughts on this approach, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 07-21-06, 06:50 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexuslover
Step 10: CONNECT CABLES – One of the 3 harness plugs will be identical to the Vais cable plug. Unconnect the Lexus plug from the headunit (HU) and replace it with the identical plug from Vais (the one on the “Y” shaped cable). Then plug the Lexus plug into the large corresponding female Vais plug on the Y cable. The 3rd prong on the Vais cable is to connect the other black Vais cable to the Y cable. (Note – I noticed that the Vais plug into my HU was not a perfectly snug fit and never “clicked” into place. I did the best I could, and even called Vais about it, and it seems that is fine if you can’t get it to click. Just get it as tight as you can.)

Great instructions and thanks for taking the time....though I am said it appears that VAIS may have that CD emulation bypass error on Gen V navs.....bummer.

One very quick question as I read the above install section. Since the Y cable is necessary to get the SLI installed between the HU and the RA...what happens if you want to have an SLI
---and--- a Sirius receiver? Is there not a specific plug spot for a satellite receiver or is it one or the other? I am guessing a SAT input plug...but thought I would ask.

Again...great help to all of us getting ready to do the SLI thing.

--Scott
Old 07-21-06, 11:50 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scott, since you mentioned the Gen 5 nav, i assume you have an RX350, which to my knowledge has factory integrated satellite options (purchased separately of course). i can't be certain what the RX350 config is like, but if it's anything like the 06 GS430 launch, basically the wiring already exists for a sat tuner to be hooked up. all it requires it that you buy the tuner and mount the antenna in the approriate location.

i know that Sirius has not been released yet for the RX, but i would assume that the situation is similar, and if you want Sirius it will be out eventually. (it took about 4-5 months after the GS launch to get Sirius compatible, even though it was "prewired" from the factory for it) if that works out, then you should have no problem having both Sirius and the SLI, as we do on our GS.

i did the install on the GS recently, and replacing the HU plug with the Vais plug had no effect on Sirius we have had in the car for almost a year. everything works as it should on the GS. in case you are wondering how it works, i believe there was already a connecting wire fed into the trunk to host the receiver. so perhaps the RX350 is the same...

but i hear you on the Gen 5 glitches. so far it appears that the SLI works perfectly with Gen 4, while Gen 3 cannot do the I AGree bypass, and Gen 5 has some text issues... i think it is only a matter of time before Vais corrects these problems. i already called them about the I Agree bypass on my Gen 3 nav RX and they said once they have a chance to get a Gen 3 nav car in for testing, they will fix it.
Old 07-23-06, 03:02 PM
!SPEED
Driver

quote :Thanks for the awesome instructions. I have a question. I've been thinking of doing this same install, but was intending to tuck the Vais unit underneath the head unit, and run the cable through a hole I would drill somewhere in the center stack (connecting to my MP3 player stored in the center console).

Sakaike, If you have a nav, I don't think your suppose to locate the Vais unit by it or the radio. They recommend putting in the drivers or passengers kick panel like LexusLover did.
Old 08-18-06, 09:16 PM
lwing28
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the directions , saved me a bundle of money from taking it to the radio install guy. Keep up the good work, it's highly appreciated..
Old 08-21-06, 04:20 PM
TomMc1
Driver School Candidate

THANKS FOR THE GREAT INFO! Your descriptions and pictures to get the RA out are fantastic. I just installed the Beta SLS unit in my '07 RX350. Yes... your read that right, beta SLS so you can hook up a Sirius receiver and have it work with the radio and on the Nav screen. It works great. I will post some pictures to the VAISTECH SLS forum this week.

Now... where to mount the antenna... any thoughts?

thanks!
Old 08-22-06, 09:38 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

how is the sound quality? will it play playlists through the HU?
Old 08-22-06, 09:38 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

this charges the IPOD and all of the volume etc... is controled via the HU correct?
Old 08-22-06, 09:57 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Frankr66
this charges the IPOD and all of the volume etc... is controled via the HU correct?
yes, it charges the iPod while connected. you play songs thru the playlist with your factory controls. i believe it's 99 playlists and 99 tracks per. so you have to organize your music however you like. if you have a TON of music and would rather control it directly on the iPod, that is possible thru the Simple Mode.
Old 08-23-06, 03:03 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

I spent all day trying to install an SLI into a customer's '07 RX350 w/the Mark Levinson Navigation.

1st SLI unit had issues with the source skipping over the factory CD changer. And engine whine when Ipod was disconnected.

2nd SLI unit had engine whine when Ipod was disconnected. I tried using a PAC SNI-1 ground loop isolator on the Ipod Audio Input side of the module and it helped a little but there was still noticeable whine with the volume at 35 (62 max). I had to put the Ipod Sound Level Adjustment to max of 31 using the Scan button. I also tried just getting a piece of wire and wrapping it around the RCA shields and grounding it, but it caused a small buzzing noise even at idle.

Is there a in house fix or is there just a compatibility issue with this model vehicle? I find it hard to believe that 2 units are defective. I will be calling them for a Return Authorization and notify them of my problems. Hopefully they can help me resolve this.
Old 08-24-06, 03:04 PM
jayliu
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks , quick questions...

Great info. But quick question. How do I remove the Shift ****?

thanks
Old 08-24-06, 04:13 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by jayliu
Great info. But quick question. How do I remove the Shift ****?

thanks
turn it counterclockwise and unscrew it.
Old 08-25-06, 05:39 PM
hlicht
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2007 RX350 with the Nav system and the dealer installed the Vais SLI for use with the iPod

Is there an "I agree" bypass mod for this car/system?

And .... are there any known bugsiisues in this particular combination?

Thank you....
Harley
Old 01-01-07, 06:31 AM
bnmintx
Driver School Candidate

ScareyH22A,

I'm looking to install the SLI into my RX350 wtih ML. Did you ever get resoution to the engine whine/ground noise issues.

Mike

Quick Reply: Vaistech SLI installation instructions w/ pics for 04-07 RX