RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

'07 RX350 DVD playback on front screen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 11:50 AM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 RX350 DVD playback on front screen?

What option package do you need to watch movies on the front navi screen? And is there a bypass available so you can watch movies on the front while driving?
Old 07-12-06, 12:16 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Vaistech has adapters to do that, but they're currently being redesigned. Watching movies on the front while driving is just "Scarey."
Old 07-12-06, 12:59 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

So which trim do you need to have to watch dvds in the front? The RSE package w/navi?
Old 07-12-06, 04:43 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
So which trim do you need to have to watch dvds in the front? The RSE package w/navi?
i don't think you have to have RSES b/c the new ML is a DVD changer which means you can watch DVD's up front without the RSES. so i think what that means is Navi/ML -OR- Navi/RSES (no ML).
Old 07-12-06, 07:59 PM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

Why in the world would you want to have a movie playing on the front NAV screen while you are driving?

Isn't it enough to deal with the CD changer, the hot coffee, the ringing cell phone and all the other inattentive drivers on the road -- I have my hands so full with all of that I can just barely shake the baby hard enough to make him stop crying.

That just has "litigation" written all over it.

And maybe "RIP" too.
Old 07-12-06, 08:58 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've only used it on our few road trips to ski resorts where we have a movie running on the back RSES and the front passenger wants to watch as well. i really hope people don't do the hack to watch movies alone while they drive, i agree that is not safe and very strange.

just like all the distractions you mentioned, driving requires discipline and control. if you don't have the discipline to focus on the road while others watch a movie, you should not be driving then and/or you should not perform this hack. the same goes with cell phones, eating, putting on lipstick, etc, etc. if you cannot focus on driving while doing any of those activities, you should NOT be doing them. i don't think you can single out one over another. some states have tried (cell phones), but they cannot control the rest of the activities.

to me, having the discipline to drive while a front passenger watches a movie is EASIER than eating a burger while driving. but that's just me. i know my limits, and i adhere to them. of course you cannot control what others do while driving, but people do perfectly legal 10-and-2 driving and still suck at driving and get into accidents. i've seen women curling eyelashes and men reading newspapers, all during rush hour. there are no specific laws on those activities, yet they are much more dangerous IMHO than having a passenger watching a movie in the front.

just my 2c
Old 07-12-06, 11:46 PM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Fine fine.. here's my disclaimer that I've been using since my hack for the 3rd gen GS was introduced.

Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. Some people can't even talk on a phone and drive, let alone have a movie playing in front of them. Please don't do this if you don't have self restraint and control. If you kill yourself because you were watching a movie behind the wheel, we'll all laugh and call you an idiot. But if you kill someone else, you will forever be branded a murderer. BTW, watching a DVD while driving is mostly likely, illegal in most states. Check with your local law enforcement.
Old 07-13-06, 05:10 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i

to me, having the discipline to drive while a front passenger watches a movie is EASIER than eating a burger while driving. but that's just me. i know my limits, and i adhere to them. of course you cannot control what others do while driving, but people do perfectly legal 10-and-2 driving and still suck at driving and get into accidents. i've seen women curling eyelashes and men reading newspapers, all during rush hour. there are no specific laws on those activities, yet they are much more dangerous IMHO than having a passenger watching a movie in the front.

just my 2c
I agree. My aftermarket A/V system in my RX allows the DVD to be viewed from the front monitor while in motion because I bypassed the safety. Still, I have no desire to watch a movie while driving even if my wife is watching from the passanger seat. On the other hand, when my wife is driving I often watch or even play PS2 while I'm in the passnager seat. I say people are either stupid or they are not. If they drive and actually watch a movie at the same time they are stupid and probably do all the other top 10 dangerous things while driving as well.
Old 07-13-06, 08:30 AM
srashid
Driver

Default Driving Distractions

A couple of years ago a woman in Seattle who got into an accident was eating a bowl of cereal while driving!
Old 07-13-06, 09:38 AM
ScareyH22A
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Originally Posted by srashid
A couple of years ago a woman in Seattle who got into an accident was eating a bowl of cereal while driving!
My ex gets into accidents just because she's talking and looking over at her friends sitting in the passenger seat.
Old 07-13-06, 10:50 AM
DocTDC
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's a reason

Originally Posted by tfischer
Why in the world would you want to have a movie playing on the front NAV screen while you are driving?

Isn't it enough to deal with the CD changer, the hot coffee, the ringing cell phone and all the other inattentive drivers on the road -- I have my hands so full with all of that I can just barely shake the baby hard enough to make him stop crying.

That just has "litigation" written all over it.

And maybe "RIP" too.
I found one reason why it would be nice to be able to get the screen on while driving. I have a 3 1/2 year old who was watching a movie in the back seat (on the RSES). When short (20 min) movie ended, it went back to the menu screen. We agreed to let her watch the movie one more time, but because we were driving and couldn't see the options on the menu screen we had a difficult time getting the movie started. If we could have seen it on the front screen, my wife in the passenger seat could have easily selected the menu options and started the movie.

I think it should be up to the driver if he wants to be able to run the video or not. Why does the dealer automatically make that decision for us?

Also, the RX can detect if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, so at least why not make it available (along with entering directions) while someone is in the passenger seat?

DocTDC

PS - tfischer, your post gave me a good laugh
Old 07-13-06, 11:23 AM
tfischer

Thank you.

. . . and this concludes the entertainment portion of our program.
Old 07-13-06, 01:15 PM
gumby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DocTDC
I think it should be up to the driver if he wants to be able to run the video or not. Why does the dealer automatically make that decision for us?

Also, the RX can detect if someone is sitting in the passenger seat, so at least why not make it available (along with entering directions) while someone is in the passenger seat?

DocTDC

PS - tfischer, your post gave me a good laugh

Because it's illegal in most states to have video of any kind running in view of the driver. . .
Old 07-13-06, 01:29 PM
32kcolors
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gumby
Because it's illegal in most states to have video of any kind running in view of the driver. . .
Isn't the NAV itself a video of some kind
Old 07-13-06, 01:35 PM
tfischer

Yes, it is one "of some kind," but not of the kind that fits within the definition in the statutes.

And before you even ask, no **** either.

Quick Reply: '07 RX350 DVD playback on front screen?