RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

06 RX330 Coolant Leakage

Old 10-07-13, 09:16 PM
richonline
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 RX330 Coolant Leakage

Hey All Lexus Friends,

I got lots of help from you guys before and hope you all can help to find the problem this time.

My 06' RX330 (with 65k miles) was in Toyota shop for some service last week and I was told there is some coolant leakage under the car. I didn't ask them to do the leakage investigation for $105 bucks. So I did some check myself tonight and found there is splash of coolant under the car (please the the couple of pictures I took). The leakage is under the passenger side dripping from one hole on the cross support steel bar (right under the radiator).

When engine is running, the coolant is dripping quick almost one after the other, but I couldn't find where is the leaking source, could you guys here help me where possibly the leakage comes from? The leak does seem to stop after engine is shut down.

I did post also on the 2nd generation RX forum, but thought you guys here are very knowledgeable so like to have your thoughts as well.

Thanks you all.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails 06 RX330 Coolant Leakage-photo-6-.jpg   06 RX330 Coolant Leakage-photo-7-.jpg  

Last edited by richonline; 10-07-13 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-13, 10:35 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

The pictures do tell us that there is a leak but we cant see the source.

You have a hose that connects at the bottom and maybe that clamp needs replacement.

Other opening are the drain-**** and the temp-switch. You can even have a crack in the radiator bottom.

In any case you need to examine from all possible angles.

Radiators in Lexus are simply held down by the clamps at the top. Disconnect the hoses and the clamps and the radiator just slides out. I hope you dont have to go this far.

Salim
Old 10-07-13, 11:42 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Hey All Lexus Friends,

I got lots of help from you guys before and hope you all can help to find the problem this time.

My 06' RX330 (with 65k miles) was in Toyota shop for some service last week and I was told there is some coolant leakage under the car. I didn't ask them to do the leakage investigation for $105 bucks. So I did some check myself tonight and found there is splash of coolant under the car (please the the couple of pictures I took). The leakage is under the passenger side dripping from one hole on the cross support steel bar (right under the radiator).

When engine is running, the coolant is dripping quick almost one after the other, but I couldn't find where is the leaking source, could you guys here help me where possibly the leakage comes from? The leak does seem to stop after engine is shut down.

I did post also on the 2nd generation RX forum, but thought you guys here are very knowledgeable so like to have your thoughts as well.

Thanks you all.

Rich
With that much of a leak you should be able to put a pressure test on the system and it should almost squirt out. You shouldn't have any problem at all finding it then, although I don't feel you should even now, with that much of a leak.

BTW, a radiator shop may just do the test for you free of charge. Certainly shouldn't cost you anywhere NEAR $105.! You should be able to check for it yourself by having someone increase the speed to about 2K-2500 RPM while you check with a small mirror to check up under things you can't see from the top. The increased speed (while sitting, in Park) should increase the internal pressure like a pressure tester and increase the leak (while wartmed up good). BEWARE of any moving parts!

Last edited by code58; 10-07-13 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-08-13, 07:23 AM
salimshah

From the looks it has been leaking for a while and crud has been forming. I think a visual would be good enough. May require a mirror. Also Lexus radiator top and bottom is plastic painted black and the life is 15yrs or so.

Auto shops loan you a pressure tester, but I could never find the right adapter. I could only pressure test the cap.

Salim
Old 10-08-13, 11:28 AM
richonline
Rookie

Hey Salim and Code58,

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. I am aligned with what you said, it should be very obvious to see where the leaking comes from, but my view is just blocked without a mirror hnady. Call a local shop and they said to do a free check. I will report back tomorrow. Hope just a loose hose or clamp...

Rich

Originally Posted by salimshah
From the looks it has been leaking for a while and crud has been forming. I think a visual would be good enough. May require a mirror. Also Lexus radiator top and bottom is plastic painted black and the life is 15yrs or so.

Auto shops loan you a pressure tester, but I could never find the right adapter. I could only pressure test the cap.

Salim
Old 10-10-13, 06:25 PM
richonline
Rookie

Hi Guys,

Just like to post an update: the radiator had a crack between the passenger side coolant tank and the radiator coil, end up with having the dealer to replace it at $830 (320 labor+410 Parts + 56 coolant+tax), a big lost though cheaper than Toyota's quote $900 plus tax. An independent Meineke quoted even a $1200 plus tax to fix it.

Thank you again guys.

Rich

Last edited by richonline; 10-10-13 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 07:45 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Shouldn't this be in the second generation forum?
Old 10-10-13, 08:13 PM
salimshah

Post #1 last line states that.

Now that it has reached a conclusion, I will move it in day or two.

Salim
Old 10-11-13, 12:48 AM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by richonline
Hi Guys,

Just like to post an update: the radiator had a crack between the passenger side coolant tank and the radiator coil, end up with having the dealer to replace it at $830 (320 labor+410 Parts + 56 coolant+tax), a big lost though cheaper than Toyota's quote $900 plus tax. An independent Meineke quoted even a $1200 plus tax to fix it.

Thank you again guys.

Rich
$320. labor??? I've done automotive work all my life and i believe that job could be done in a maximum of one hour. To say that $320. labor is robbery without the benefit of a gun is an understatement. We won't even address the absurdity of the other 2 estimates. They seem to make Lexus look charitable when in fact they only make themselves look like Chi- town thugs!
Old 12-13-23, 09:47 AM
Leeper
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Revive an old thread as I'm looking at the same thing. Things to look at when dealing with potential repairs
#1 - Dealerships charge roughly $400+/hour... yes you heard that corrrect $400/hr. The labor price listed is @$125/hr but those are "flag hours" meaning what the factory estimates it would take someone not very competnet to complete the job in. Most proficient mechanics complete the work in FAR FAR less time than estimated. With regards to this poster stating he paid $400 labor, to replace a radiator any decent mechanic should be able to do this job in an hour, 1 1/4 hrs at the very most. I have seen Jaguar dealerships try to charge 1 1/4 hrs to change out an air filter which took me @ mins from start to finish no tools needed, seen this many many times. $300 to reprogram a car key which took them less than 2 mins. Also seen them charge for several things that were never done that is another story.

#2 - parts - a Denso radiator from Amazon runs $200, dealerships and garages make a huge profit on parts. Some indi's are cool and will let you bring them OEM (or equivilent quality) parts to them and just pay them for their time, the bad ones do not as they look to gouge you on all sides. Each dealership charges whatever they believe the market will pay.... my local Lexus dealership here in Boise is about 30% higher than others I see because "they can", they even quoted a price for parts then tried to add 15% for a convenience fee once I got there to pay! Many factory OEM parts can be had on Amazon or eBay for a fraction of what your local dealership will try to extort you with, if not look at various online Lexus dealers you'll save a ton of money.

This job is a $270 finished job (Radiator $200, coolant $70) and 1-2 hours time for a DIY'er so you can see how much the "stupid tax" is when dealing wtih a dealership or even this indi

Last edited by Leeper; 12-13-23 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-13-23, 11:36 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

In all fairness to many (most?) of the members of this forum, DIY replacement of a radiator is not something they want to get in to. I'll change something like HVAC servo in my RX300 but I wouldn't tackle a radiator replacement. "Flat Rate" labor pricing is a benefit to only the dealerships, and some of the hourly rates ($400???) are plain ridiculous. As you say, they charge this "because they can".

Old 12-13-23, 11:49 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Radiator replacement thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-c-system.html
Old 12-13-23, 12:03 PM
Leeper
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
In all fairness to many (most?) of the members of this forum, DIY replacement of a radiator is not something they want to get in to. I'll change something like HVAC servo in my RX300 but I wouldn't tackle a radiator replacement. "Flat Rate" labor pricing is a benefit to only the dealerships, and some of the hourly rates ($400???) are plain ridiculous. As you say, they charge this "because they can".
I was not saying that the stated rates are "$400/hr", what I am stating is that that is the rate you will be paying when the posted "flag rate" or "book rate" is $125/hr". Any decently trained mechanic will use significantly less time than what is quoted by the book therefore not only are you overpaying for labor, you're paying MSRP or over for parts that are had for less money, and they are trained to simply replace parts as needed not necessarily knowing if the part in question is the problem or even needed replacement. Example on flag rates - my buddy was a Acura trained master mechanic, he was paid 4 1/2 flag hours to install AC's on new Acura's, these took him 45 mins each, he loved this as did the dealreship. As said programming a key they charge $300 it takes them well under 5 mins. Thes eare not exceptions these are the norms across all brands... this is how all dealerships work is by flag hours not actual time.

Very true that most will not tackle a radiator, and some are more than willing to pay whatever it takes to resolve issues, many believe that going to a Lexus dealership somehow brings mfg mojo and they are willing to pay greatly for the luxury of walking on the marble floors and sipping supposedly free latte's while sitting in comfy chairs... all good but at least be educated as to what options are, realities versus myths, what you're really paying for, perhaps questions to ask, or even if you can purchase the needed parts elsewhere for significantly less and simply pay them labor.

Thank you Maxsteel for the pointer, I appreciate that sir

Last edited by Leeper; 12-13-23 at 12:08 PM.