RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 05:31 PM
TFMC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TFMC from New Brunswick - Canada

Hello every body,

I'm from Fredericton - New Brunswick I've bought my 2004 Lexus RX330 from the dealership 1 owner 220.000 km Black exterior and Beige interior.... Yes it's going to be a pain to clean it with my 4 year old son
A few things to do:
Need 2 front struts, went for a KYB version.
Need a rear drive shaft, actually needs a U joint however they said to me that it wasn't comercialized so I went for a second hand drive shaft.
Has a leak in the exhaust
A few scratches in the paint.

The rest of the stuff works perfectily and it was well mantained. Take my Autel DS708 to check the car and it was all OK.

Now just need to take care of those things and.... good as new.

Never had a Lexus before, completely surrended to the confort of the thing.....
Actually was thinking on buying a Porsche Cayenne as a second car.... now I end up with a huge problem, since I loved the Lexus!!!
Old 08-14-17, 03:08 AM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Default tomr51 from NSW Australia

Recently purchased a sports luxury 2006 RX 350. Gold in color , immaculate inside and outside. A pleasure to drive, will be going on a round trip Sydney to Melbourne in October Total trip(not going direct) will be about 4000 kms.. I previously had a Toyota Soarer (RH drive SC400) with airbag suspension.for 12 yrs.
Old 08-14-17, 09:19 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Welcome. I'm sure you will enjoy your trip in the RX.

I bought my 07 RX last year and after a month of ownership, used the car on a 6000 mile (9650 km) road trip vacation, visiting national parks and other attractions. Very comfortable for long trips.
Old 08-20-17, 04:04 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First RX 350 in the family

Please join me in welcoming my first RX 350 to the family... Well technically this is our first Lexus ever!

I've been a long time admirer but never had the opportunity to own one. Everyone always says they got a great deal.... You tell me.

2008 Lexus RX 350 185k...... $6500

Well taken care of, serviced at the dealer for it's life so far. Just had the water pump replaced. Everything works on it, and he had all 3 original keys. No body damage. Normal wear on the outside. Inside looks great!

What do you think? I ended up with this when I was on search for another 2 vehicles I had narrowed my purchase to.... Either a BMW X5 or an Mercedes ML 350. I think this was the best choice of the 3!
Old 09-10-17, 05:08 AM
Rickypaul
Driver School Candidate

Default 2008 rx350

Originally Posted by Welcome to CL
Members,

When you get your RX, please introduce yourself and your vehicle here!

Tell us some details about your new Lexus including;

Color or the exterior and interior
Options
Any pictures you might have of your RX
Tell us what you drove previously

and congratulations from Club Lexus!
Its a light blue Beauty with tan interior. Has Everything except adaptive cruise. It has 100k. It looks and drives like a new car. I paid $13k for it. It's my happy place.

[img]webkit-fake-url://985ede4f-dc1b-41e1-b451-9099f2e798eb/imagejpeg[/img]
Old 10-06-17, 07:10 AM
Tucketgirl
Driver School Candidate

Default First Lexus for me

First time Lexus owner here, bought a Bamboo Pearl 2008, 84,000 miles, I'm in love. Such a sweet pleasure to drive. I had a 2016 Toyota Rav4 so I am kind of missing the blue tooth capability but other than that it's a lovely car. looks brand new. How do people drive anything else?

Last edited by Tucketgirl; 10-06-17 at 07:16 AM. Reason: needed to make a new post, new here.
Old 10-06-17, 09:22 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by Tucketgirl
First time Lexus owner here, bought a Bamboo Pearl 2008, 84,000 miles, I'm in love. Such a sweet pleasure to drive. I had a 2016 Toyota Rav4 so I am kind of missing the blue tooth capability but other than that it's a lovely car. looks brand new. How do people drive anything else?
Welcome to the Lexus world.

There is one thing I would advise you to check and that is that the oil cooler line on the engine has been replaced with a metal one. The original ones were rubber hoses that leaked and broke. Lexus made that an extended 10 year warranty. But you have to ask for warranty work, they do not chase you down and tell you to bring the car in.

Another thing you can do is sign up with http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ This is a free thing.
There is various information available, one thing being service history where maybe you might see that the oil cooler line was replaced.
Old 10-08-17, 06:51 PM
Rickypaul
Driver School Candidate

Default Are we twins?

Originally Posted by Tucketgirl
I traded in a 2016 RAV4 too! Lucky mine has Bluetooth but it doesn't stream. I bought a $10 cassette adapter and I'm good.
Old 10-08-17, 07:04 PM
tomr51
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts

cassette adaptor plugged into a portable stereo (that can be powered from the car 12v adaptor) unit that plays a USB stick works great.
Old 10-11-17, 05:57 AM
Tucketgirl
Driver School Candidate

Wink A big thanks

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Welcome to the Lexus world.

There is one thing I would advise you to check and that is that the oil cooler line on the engine has been replaced with a metal one. The original ones were rubber hoses that leaked and broke. Lexus made that an extended 10 year warranty. But you have to ask for warranty work, they do not chase you down and tell you to bring the car in.

Another thing you can do is sign up with http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/ This is a free thing.
There is various information available, one thing being service history where maybe you might see that the oil cooler line was replaced.
Thank you so much, I will jump on that site and make sure that has been exchanged. I learn so much from this group. I had that weird window problem on the passenger side not being controlled by the driver's side and I did what this forum recommended and Viola! it worked, it sounded so strange, but it did the trick.
Old 10-12-17, 01:10 PM
jostapf
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Broken timing chain

Does anyone have a lead on a used engine for a rx350 2007, timing chain broke. No warranty need to pay out of pocket and pay loan.
Old 10-14-17, 08:54 PM
NZdriver
Driver School Candidate

Default Driving down in Godzone...

Hi everyone.

I've had a 2011 IS350 F-Sport for a couple of years now, and it's fantastic! But, as my wife leaves for work before me in the morning, I never get to drive it. But now that my "extremely well used" 1997 Honda Accord has been retired, it seemed to be the right time... So in addition to the IS350F (that I never get to drive), I now also have a 2007 RX350. Nothing flash, but a great addition to the fleet - and one that I may (finally) get to drive!
Old 10-14-17, 09:11 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Welcome to Club Lexus. I also have an IS and a RX, 2010 and 2007 respectively. The IS is a fun car to drive and to zip around in while the RX is a comfortable car to drive on long trips. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
NZdriver (10-14-17)
Old 11-13-17, 09:44 PM
SirLance
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SuperJeff
I just bought my wife a gently used 2004 RX330 with 78,000 miles.. Black Forest Pearl (wife hated the color at first, but LOVES it now!! - everyone compliments us on the color!), in pristine condition and a perfect Carfax history I did my homework for this one. Already used ClubLexus to fix the previously non-working stereo. I got the dealership to knock off $2000 because of the stereo not working, brought it home, unhooked the battery for 20 minutes to reset the computer while I finished mowing my lawn... Hooked it back up, stereo comes back to life and my wife is left with a big smile on her face!

This Lexus replaces my wife's 2002 Ford Exploder that was on its fifth (yes 5th) transmission, and the timing chain "slapped" (whatever that means), ruining the engine for good. Good riddance I say! We're movin on up!
I saw your comment about the stereo not working. Was it not turning on or was some of the functionality lost? On mine I can use the power and tuning know but all the buttons don't work. I believe this problem happened when the battery was changed. Thinking i might have to try your trick of disconnecting the battery and see if that resets it? Either way, appreciate you sharing that tip
Old 12-17-17, 01:20 PM
01rxwhite
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recently purchases my 2nd RX - 08 Premium Plus RX 350

Greetings. I've been a forum member for years as my 1st Lexus was an 01 RX300. I had it for 16 years and it had 316k miles on it with the original engine and transmission. I really loved that vehicle, one of my all time favorites. I pulled out in from of a truck last June and as old and with as many miles it had, it was considered a total loss.
We purchased another RX in late October, because they are great vehicles and quite frankly couldn't find anything better than an RX. Our 'new' one is an '08 RX 350 2wd, that had 94k miles. It is the dark burgundy color (can't rememeber the color name) with a tan interior, navigation, rear camera, 18" wheels - Premium Plus package. I liked that it didn't have to have a timing belt service right away, but had it only a couple of weeks and the water pump or lower hose leaked all the antifreeze out. Got it fixed for around $1100 bucks, ouch! I had the water pump and hose replaced, but expected to put some $$ into it. It has better power than my old 3.0 V6, 4 speed and it just as nimble and am actually getting about the same gas mileage in the 21 to 22 mpg range mixed driving. Got 26 mpg on a trip to Atlanta too. I asked my garage about the spark plug replacement coming up and was quoted $650 for a spark plug replacement! They told me the air intake manifold would have to be removed to get to the rear plugs. That's alot, so I'll be looking for a sticky on the DYI this spring to change out the spark plugs. Also, found some grease splatter around the left front axle. The CV boot is intact, but was told it likely needed a new front axle/CV joint. We'll see. It could have already been done and the grease is just evidence there was a previouse problem.

Question: Are there any other normal wear or maintenance items I should be for in the near future with this 2nd gen RX?

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE