RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-18, 10:53 AM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kudos to you datu! Always nice to see a member of the family! Pictures are my favorite...Thanks for sharing! P.S.Love the color!
Old 01-19-18, 09:40 AM
DArn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Lexus!

I just purchased a 2008 RX 350 AWD w/o NAV, with 128k miles. Exterior is Brandy Wine Mica with Ivory leather interior. It is my new favorite color combo. I was actually looking at Highlanders and Pilots when I saw this one-owner beauty. Dealer made an error when posting online and I emailed him within minutes. They honored the price, but were not very happy about the sale. The salesman told me I was the first customer in 28 years to crawl completely under a car from every side -- LOL. I have every service record since the car reached the original dealer with 6 miles on it, including oil changes and tire rotations. Most of the work was completed by Lexus and one other local shop with a great reputation. This cars runs, drives and looks new. I don't think the back seat was every used. I know the first aid kit (and probably the rear storage bins under the mat) was unopened. Thanks to ClubLexus, I learned I could register the car with Lexus and get detailed service information with mechanic notes (like the fact that both headlamp lenses and lights were replaced 6000 miles ago because they were foggy after a carwash). I'm really excited about the DIY threads and realize that there are a lot of picky people on here. Don't worry, that's not a condemnation, that's recognition for doing things right. Looking forward to making it my own. The first project will be adding mesh on the air dam.There was freezing rain followed by 2 inches of snow the day I brought it home. Then six more inches of snow. I can't believe how much better it handles than my wife's 2016 Chevy Traverse AWD. The weather has been single-digit highs for the past week, but when I wash it, I'll post photos.
All in all, I excited about this car like I haven't been since I was 16. My other cars are 2016 Chevy Traverse AWD and 2009 Ford Focus.
Some notable other cars I have owned; 2004 Jaguar S-Type (great car when the electronics worked). 1998 Toyota Avalon XLS -- bought with 130k, drove it up to 230k, sent it to college w/ my son who drove it another 60k. When I sold it, it ran and drove great and even the A/C worked!
I really love this RX! With your help, I can keep it running and looking great until I can afford a new Lexus (I will, of course, pass this one on to one of my now preteens).
A couple of pics.
My first Lexus -- Clean again after 8 inches of snow/ice!
I need a better backdrop!

Last edited by DArn; 02-02-18 at 08:07 AM. Reason: fix pictures
Old 02-02-18, 07:38 AM
vicmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool New (to me) RX 350

Just brought home my first Lexus, the RX350, 2007. She has 85,000 miles and is near cherry condition, one owner, northwest coast owned. It's going to take me quite awhile to learn about all that is included in this amazing car. I may have a lot of questions. Tan interior. She replaced my good old RAV with 162,000 miles. The other car in the household is a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Turbo.
Attached Thumbnails Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-peacock-9.jpg   Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE-_edited.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
PNWMelissa (02-23-18)
Old 03-08-18, 02:40 PM
sbrown329
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New member

2004 RX33 with 92,000 miles and 1 owner. He was getting rid of it before all those major 90-100k services and I used this site to understand what to look for.
Thanks for all the threads!
Old 03-21-18, 02:32 PM
inchley313
1st Gear

Default Greetings from the Isle of Man

I have owned my 2004 Lexus RX300 for over a year now and love it now as much as the day I bought it!

I have plans for 20" wheels and (if I can get my hands on one) a Rowen body kit!

I bought the car for an unbelievable £1000 and have spent a bit of cash having the cam belt replaced, full service and other serviceable bits but with only 71k miles on the clock when I bought it, it was an absolute bargain!

My RX with my friends IS

Moody dark rear shot

Just cleaned

Covered in snow

The Rowen body kit I need in my life!

Unfiltered shot at 9am in December on Douglas Promenade after battling 20miles of extreme weather including fog, snow, ice and pelting rain all in 30 minutes!
Old 03-27-18, 09:28 AM
DarthDad
Driver School Candidate

New member. Just bought our first Lexus, 2008 RX 350 2WD with nav system. It has a 106k miles, but was a personal lease and the service records shows it was well serviced. Not sure what color the RX is. Seems to change based on lighting. At times it appears to have a green tint, sometimes it looks tan others silver. It is registered as being grey, which is a great disservice to how it really looks.
This is the wife's vehicle. Love all the features. Still discovering what all it does.
I typically buy used cars and run them until they cross 220k. Looking forward to having this one around for a long time.
Owned several Toyota vehicles over the years (2 - '91 Camry, '97 Avalon, '03 4Runner, '08 Highlander) as well as a '98 Volvo S70 GLT and '06 Honda Pilot.
Old 04-09-18, 06:48 AM
AngelMarie
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello everyone! New member here, just purchased my first Lexus, an '07 RX 350 AWD 'Base' Model with about 110K miles on it. Despite the Dealership's statements, it appears to have been through a few hands, but seems sound and stable. The Champagne tint still seems pretty shiny, but clearly it lived under an oak tree at one point in its life. It has some bumps, bruises, scrapes and scratches, and could use a little TLC (and new TPMS sensors!). Even came with a broken antenna base that I'll have to replace one of these days. Thanks to this forum I just completed the Bluetooth motion bypass, and GPS motion selector switch mods with relative ease. Also purchased one of the Mini-VCI USB cables, a few key/fobs (and aftermarket switchblade cases!) and plan to program them in myself along with tinkering with a few other settings.

Future plans include the VASI iPod/Bluetooth interface, maybe the XM Radio Kit, and I saw an aftermarket remote starter that I can integrate into the car and still use the factory remote. I do however have a nice, older, Viper SST Security/Starter unit that I pulled out of my aging Mustang. Maybe I'll opt for that instead. Sky (and money)'s the limit! ;-)
Old 04-09-18, 08:41 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by AngelMarie
Hello everyone! New member here, just purchased my first Lexus, an '07 RX 350 AWD 'Base' Model with about 110K miles on it.
Welcome. Sounds like you will be giving your car a lot of TLC. If you take highway trips, this is a great car to do it in, very comfortable.
Old 04-21-18, 08:29 AM
spinellib
Intermediate

Received 175 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi everyone, yesterday I just bought a 2009 RX 350. It's my first Lexus. It's in nice shape with 33K miles. Pebble Beach edition, truffle mica.
Has original tires on it, and they're worn out. So I'll need new tires, but other than that it's all set to go.
Old 04-21-18, 09:15 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by spinellib
Hi everyone, yesterday I just bought a 2009 RX 350. It's my first Lexus. It's in nice shape with 33K miles. Pebble Beach edition, truffle mica.
Has original tires on it, and they're worn out. So I'll need new tires, but other than that it's all set to go.
Only 33K miles - wow- it's just barely broken in. Enjoy your ride.

Welcome to Club Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
spinellib (04-22-18)
Old 04-22-18, 07:35 PM
joemahma
Driver School Candidate

Default First Lexus Rx350 w 3.5L, probably my last - Has Engine Issues

Our first Lexus - 2007 RX350 with 130K on odometer we love the car, but... After our first trip in the mountains it knocks/rattles like skeletons making love in a trash can (only under load (1000-1600 rpm). Running premium, all maint done including recalls & SB's. VVTi solenoids rattling bad with no engine codes, but only under light load. Very unhappy with that & will probably never get another Lexus/Toyota, our Nissans have been flawless. POS 3.5 engine design leaves me cold, unless we can get this fixed reasonably. I'm open to any suggestions for an inexpensive fix (under $1000) Going to try Plugs & replace both RH VVTi Solenoids next & if that doesn't fix it I'll probably run it into a guard rail & collect insurance to replace it with a Nissan.
Old 04-23-18, 02:14 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Originally Posted by joemahma
Our first Lexus - 2007 RX350 with 130K on odometer we love the car, but... After our first trip in the mountains it knocks/rattles like skeletons making love in a trash can (only under load (1000-1600 rpm). Running premium, all maint done including recalls & SB's. VVTi solenoids rattling bad with no engine codes, but only under light load. Very unhappy with that & will probably never get another Lexus/Toyota, our Nissans have been flawless. POS 3.5 engine design leaves me cold, unless we can get this fixed reasonably. I'm open to any suggestions for an inexpensive fix (under $1000) Going to try Plugs & replace both RH VVTi Solenoids next & if that doesn't fix it I'll probably run it into a guard rail & collect insurance to replace it with a Nissan.
Well Joe, sorry to hear that your Lexus is making noise. I have a similar background to you, having driven Nissans since the 1970's and Maximas exclusively (4 of them) since the 1994 model. I now drive a 2007 RX350 since 2016 after my 2000 maxima was totaled. Why did I not buy another Maxima? Because I couldn't find a 2003 Maxima (or older) that was in decent enough shape to suit me. And why did I not want to buy a 2004 Maxima or newer? Because of reliability. The worst thing was (and still is) the p.os. CVT transmission that they began to use. Unless you drive the car like the proverbial little old lady, you can expect to sweep the pieces up off the road at about 40K miles. Nissan extended the warranty on the transmission so that the 2nd time it pukes, they will cover it. But the 3rd time and thereafter is on you is on you. Seats that rattle when no one is sitting in them (they may have finally fixed this in 2015), the electrical problems, the floorboards rusting out and the list goes on.

So now I drive a RX. A month after I bought it, I went on an extended road trip. About 5K miles into it, I had to take a extended pit stop in Denver while the car got some repairs. We all feel your pain. Nothing is perfect, so deal with it and move on.

I seriously doubt that the spark plugs are the problem. While they should have been changed at 100K miles, They are not the cause even if they are still the originals. While I don't know what is causing the engine noise, I hope it won't be too terribly expensive. If you are considering taking it to a lexus dealer - here is a tip. Take it to a toyota dealer. They don't charge as much as a Lexus dealer. But here is another thing for you to hate Lexus & Toyota on. There is a rubber hose for an oil cooler that bursts and if you are on the highway when it does, you don't have enough time to shut the engine down before the engine becomes a big, greasy paperweight. Speaking of leaking oil lines, the VVT oil hoses also leak and burst.

Good luck.
Old 04-23-18, 06:05 PM
joemahma
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Dennis. Already knew about the oil cooler & VVti line on the rear (Right) bank & replaced them. Bad, bad designs... I know the (R) bank solenoids are hammering by stethoscope & figgered if I have to remove the intake to change them, change the plugs too - they're way overdue. What worries me is the other TSB for the same symptoms (known knock sensor/oil control valve issue, with codes), only with no codes, saying the entire upper end may be trashed because of their poor quality parts used (ie; Cams, variable cam gears). I'll post in the appropriate area, so as to not abuse the intro area... But I understand all mfr's have their issues.
Old 04-28-18, 07:20 PM
Chapp
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 05 rx330

I bought my wife a 2005 RX330 last year.
It is silver and she loves it.
I am a Full time Chaplain at a maximum security male prison.
Before that I was a corrections officer for ten years at a maximum security female prison.

I look forward to all I can learn from everyone here.
I am currently getting ready to drain and fill tranny (4x)-thinking about doing filter change as well as transfer case and differential.
In fact the info I have found about the above is what has motivated me to join.

Last edited by Chapp; 04-28-18 at 07:22 PM. Reason: more detail
Old 05-18-18, 09:22 PM
tran1
Driver School Candidate

Just bought my wife 2009 RX350 with 185K miles.
Nice car.
Have to replace Rack and pinion.
Dropped trans pan, replace trans filter and fluid.
Do I have to replace timing chain?

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE