RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-17, 12:34 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01rxwhite
Greetings. I've been a forum member for years as my 1st Lexus was an 01 RX300. I had it for 16 years and it had 316k miles on it with the original engine and transmission. I really loved that vehicle, one of my all time favorites. I pulled out in from of a truck last June and as old and with as many miles it had, it was considered a total loss.
We purchased another RX in late October, because they are great vehicles and quite frankly couldn't find anything better than an RX. Our 'new' one is an '08 RX 350 2wd, that had 94k miles. It is the dark burgundy color (can't rememeber the color name) with a tan interior, navigation, rear camera, 18" wheels - Premium Plus package. I liked that it didn't have to have a timing belt service right away, but had it only a couple of weeks and the water pump or lower hose leaked all the antifreeze out. Got it fixed for around $1100 bucks, ouch! I had the water pump and hose replaced, but expected to put some $$ into it. It has better power than my old 3.0 V6, 4 speed and it just as nimble and am actually getting about the same gas mileage in the 21 to 22 mpg range mixed driving. Got 26 mpg on a trip to Atlanta too. I asked my garage about the spark plug replacement coming up and was quoted $650 for a spark plug replacement! They told me the air intake manifold would have to be removed to get to the rear plugs. That's alot, so I'll be looking for a sticky on the DYI this spring to change out the spark plugs. Also, found some grease splatter around the left front axle. The CV boot is intact, but was told it likely needed a new front axle/CV joint. We'll see. It could have already been done and the grease is just evidence there was a previouse problem.

Question: Are there any other normal wear or maintenance items I should be for in the near future with this 2nd gen RX?
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Right before I purchased my 08 RX the previous owner also had to have the water pump replaced. Mine was sitting on 185k when I got it about 4 months ago.. Now it's sitting @ 189k. I am planning on replacing my plugs this coming year as well! There are 2 ways to go about it according to some DIY threads on here. First option is the most lengthy, but doable with pulling the intake. The second option I see is where you leave everything in placed and remove the cowling below the windshield and with the right tools you can get to the back plugs. Equally as challenging if not more since you can't see anything, but can be done. I can't see parting with the labor cost myself. Just recently returned from a Dallas trip, about 350 miles from my house one-way and I got 26.3 on the highway as my top mpg. As I'm new to this like you are, I can't think of any things to keep an eye out for. Like you already know, I'm learning, these vehicles are so reliable and suffer from few prone/known issues. I can share a quick story that I ran into a gentleman in Dallas from Wisconsin, working in Idaho, visiting family in Dallas for Christmas... Anyway he remarked about my model bringing back memories for him. There were on their 2nd RX now the 4th Gen RX350 and they had just sold their 1999 RX300 17 years old with 285k and still had the original exhaust on the car. He loved it so much they couldn't see replacing it without anything other than another RX. I'm sure most owners owners agree with such feelings about the fit, finish, build quality, and reliability of the Lexus brand.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-24-17, 01:40 PM
rickity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, new Lexus owner

Howdy. My sister bought a 2008 RX-350 AWD about 2 years ago and all I heard from her was good stuff about the reliability, comfort, and handling. My wife is driving a 2008 AWD Hyundai Santa Fe, and now it was my turn to retire my 1987 4WD Subaru wagon (279K miles and original owner). So I started looking at the 350s as well as other brands about a year ago, and I was following eBay auctions, local and distant dealers, and talking to other Lexus owners. I had my mind made up that I would buy a 2008 or 2009 AWD model, but wasn't excited about the available colors - black, white, and silver seemed the most popular. I wanted red, but would have settled for black or silver. Most of the red ones for sale were in Florida or Texas, and 2WD. Then in July, my local Lexus dealer, Kuni Lexus of Portland, advertised a single-owner 2009 AWD RX-350, with all the extra goodies that were nice-to-haves. I wasn't going to let this one slip by. So, I'm now the proud owner of a RX-350, Matador Red Mica, black interior, backup camera, navigation, sun roof, premium package, 18" wheels, and towing package, with 105K miles. I was able to get a complete maintenance history from the dealer (brakes, new water pump, oil line replaced, tuneups, and regular oil changes). No indication that the dashboard was replaced, but mine looks fine. I now look forward to the next 300K+ miles.

What's with my avatar? A friend of mine was buying a couch but had no way to get it home. I said let's see if we can fit it into my RX-350, otherwise I have an F150 that I could bring to work the next day. Well, sure enough, it fit in the RX-350. I could call it my baby F150 that gets 2x the mileage and is much more comfortable to drive. I tell my sister over and over again "Did I tell you how much I love my Lexus!"

Here are some other pics:
2009 AWD RX-350
2009 AWD RX-350
Old 12-27-17, 12:01 PM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Wow! That Red is BeaUtiFULL! I think I'm in love!

I just found the owners link on Lexus website where you can register with your VIN number and it gives me an entire history of service from the Lexus dealer(s) it's visited over the last 9 years. That is the coolest! Thanks for sharing the pics!
The following users liked this post:
rickity (12-29-17)
Old 12-31-17, 12:04 PM
AlexRS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, friends!

I've recently bought a Lexus RX330, 2004, with 169 000 km on the clock. The car is beautiful, but it definitely needs some love.
The car is black on black, has tow package and air suspension. This is my first truly luxury car, but i've had a beautiful JDM Land Cruiser 100 (which is basically LX470), so i'm not new to toyota vehicles.

Old 01-01-18, 03:33 PM
Kishanptl1
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Brand New Owner

Hello My name is Kishan, and I am 20, I have so far owned three lexuses. First being a 2003 ES 300, then a 2011 LS 460, and now a 2007 RX 350. The RX 350 is a silver exterior with white interior. It is an AWD with navigation and upgraded audio system. So far the only mod I have done to the RX is a Lexus logo projector puddle light mod. I am happy to be part of an awesome community of Lexus enthusiast.
bwhitsonjr (01-04-18)
Old 01-09-18, 07:44 AM
CBEARD849
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning and HELLO! New Club Lexus member here with a recently purchased 2008 RX350 with 125k miles. I'm the 2nd owner and the car is dark grey with black leather interior. It is the closest thing to a new car we have ever owned and to us it is Sooooo nice and comfortable! I wanted to be a registered member here in order to get help with as many of those at-home repairs as possible to save $$$. I'm disabled and have some mobility issues but I was recently able to replace the original rubber hose oil cooler setup with a replacement all-steel one w/o too much pain or drama. I am also an owner of a 1989 Landcruiser so I have some Toyota repair experience under my belt. I'm looking forward to interacting with this group and reading and learning as much as possible! I live in Medford Oregon in case there are any locals who want to chime in.
bwhitsonjr (01-09-18)
Old 01-09-18, 11:28 AM
bwhitsonjr
Driver School Candidate

Good morning CBEARD849! Glad you joined! I'm a novice myself, but we quickly fell in love with our 08' RX350. I'm now turning 190k and it runs and rides like the day it was built! After this purchase... I'm a Lexus owner for Life! I too like the Land Cruiser... It's the flagship of the fleet concerning Toyota! This has been far the most informative and helpful site concerning Lexus. So much so I haven't gone out in search of other forums. Upload a picture when you get a chance. I would love to see it! Enjoy!

P.S. My Brother-in-law was born and raised in Portland. He talks about Oregon often. Still orders Tillamook jerky every Christmas season.

Last edited by bwhitsonjr; 01-09-18 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 05:51 AM
BeEvil
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi,

New to the Lexus Forum. I've owned a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser for the past 4 years but recently purchased a 2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition for my wife with 160K Km. Then I decided to buy myself a 2003 GX470 with 180K Km. Really like the Toyota/Lexus brand and hope to contribute to this community.

2009 RX350 Pebble Beach Edition in Truffle Mica
2003 GX470 in Ash Blue with Volk TE37 LARGE P.C.D. Face 2 rims.
Old 01-13-18, 01:04 AM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Hi, BeEvil. Welcome to Club Lexus. I'm sure you and your wife will like driving a Lexus.

I would recommend that you go to www.us.lexusownersclub.com/ and register your cars (you will need the VIN). You can get the car's service history, download owners manuals and other things.
BeEvil (01-14-18)
Old 01-14-18, 02:47 AM
RUDANUF68
Driver School Candidate

New member to Club Lexus here with a recently purchased 2007 RX 350 AWD. Came across a really good deal in very good condition and I am the 2nd owner at 142k miles. Only issue 6 months later is the dashboard just started cracking and peeling apart below the passenger airbag. Already looked into the recall but missed the deadline and it appears that most with the same problem will be waiting some time before and if Lexus/Toyota will ever get to them all. Otherwise, the RX is great. Already been to the Grand Canyon and Flagstaff, AZ several times with no issues at all.

Old 01-14-18, 07:25 AM
North
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Beautiful Car and timeless design!

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
Bought it back on March 18... and today it only has about 320 miles

Flint Mica w/ Black Leather ( I luv Flint Mica)
Premium Package w/ 18's (Non Navi/ML)- Hood Deflector/Trunk Tray
2001 Mercedes Benz S500

Some pictures after I detailed my car today:

I love the color. What a great job you did on your detailing. That body style has such flowing lines, it will never get old in my eyes!!
Old 01-14-18, 07:45 AM
North
Driver

Good morning I too am a new member to the forum and am trying to learn how to navigate this forum. So I might accidentally make a few mistakes!! Forgive me but any assistance would greatly be appreciated. I currently have a 2013 RX 350 but am trading next week for a 2013 RX 450h stargazer black. I have always wanted to own an RX 450h. I have had 2 Priuses in the past and the stargazer black RX 450h will be my 4th(and hopefully last Lexus). So much great information and beautiful cars on this forum. What a wonderful reference for so many topics. I will post a picture of my RX 450H when I get it next week. I have to drive from Georgia to Illinois to pick it up! Thanks to all and welcome any comments. Thanks Tim
Old 01-14-18, 12:10 PM
DennisMik
Racer

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by North
Good morning I too am a new member to the forum and am trying to learn how to navigate this forum. So I might accidentally make a few mistakes!! Forgive me but any assistance would greatly be appreciated. I currently have a 2013 RX 350 but am trading next week for a 2013 RX 450h stargazer black. I have always wanted to own an RX 450h. I have had 2 Priuses in the past and the stargazer black RX 450h will be my 4th(and hopefully last Lexus). So much great information and beautiful cars on this forum. What a wonderful reference for so many topics. I will post a picture of my RX 450H when I get it next week. I have to drive from Georgia to Illinois to pick it up! Thanks to all and welcome any comments. Thanks Tim
I hope the RX exceeds your expectations. I bought my 07 RX last year and a month later did a 6000 mile road trip vacation with it. Great car. Enjoy the trip.
Old 01-17-18, 05:58 PM
datu
Driver School Candidate

New member here. This is our first Lexus but I'm not really new to Toyota, have had lots of them and still do. We bought it last weekend. 2005 RX330, 139,600 miles. It has Thundercloud Edition badges on the doors. I've read a little about them and they were supposed to come with different wheels. I don't know why this one doesn't have them. Looking forward to seeing what other owners are up to and hopefully contributing whatever I can.

Old 01-18-18, 07:55 AM
North
Driver

She's really a beaut! Nice color and looks to be in great condition. I really love that body style. Welcome datu!!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! RX330/350 roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE