RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Over driving headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-06, 04:54 PM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Over driving headlights

I find I am constantly overdriving my headlights on dark highways, at speed. I took my car back to lexus and of course the lights are functioning perfectly.
I suppose I could slow down, but, NO!!!!!
Anyone else have this problem or a potential fix.
Auxilliary driving lights? Aftermarket ADJUSTMENT?
Old 03-08-06, 08:18 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems has been reported

here., Do a search of the forum. I think the fix is to adjust upward 2 clicks or turns on the adjuster but search here first.
Old 03-08-06, 08:50 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Does your RX equipped with HID or halogen? I believe the owner's manual covers the "how-to" about height and level adjustments for the lamps.
Old 03-08-06, 09:38 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The low-beam HIDs on my RX are perfect for urban driving, particularly on dark residential streets - but I understand your question about their adequacy on the highway - especially on blacktop roads that just seem to absorb light. They don't seem to throw very far down the road - although the horizontal spread is excellent.

I'm thinking about putting a slightly higher wattage lamp in the high-beams, as a cheap, aesthetic fix. I've had high-candlepower driving lights on a number of cars and trucks . . . and they ARE the solution . . . if you can live with the "Baja" look. Maybe a full brush bar would help conceal the mountings . . . now we go from "Baja" to "Mad Max" . . . .
Old 03-08-06, 11:18 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JZA80MHU38
Does your RX equipped with HID or halogen? I believe the owner's manual covers the "how-to" about height and level adjustments for the lamps.
The Owners manual does indeed include HID adjustment. The dealer said the self leveling was fine and I thought because of computer control, adjusting the assembly wouldn't work, until you pointed out the Manual, (Who reads the Manual!) had instructions for adjustment.
So we will see tonight..
Thanks again!
Old 03-08-06, 12:18 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

I guess the dealer just doesn't want to adjust it for you. As long as they see the beam aiming "correctly", i.e., within legal spec, then they will avoid to adjust it even your request for it.

Let's say if somehow the police pulls someone's car over, saying the beam is aiming too high and issue a ticket to the owner to have it fixed, and if a fine is included, and if that driver/owner is a moron, he may take the dealer's work log/invoice to the court saying it's the dealer's fault. The dealer is just protecting themselves.
Old 03-08-06, 12:53 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Adjustment HID's

Mine is an 05 with the HID's and had the same problem, overdriving the lights. Took to dealer and they adjusted upwards - vast improvement, and I've yet to have oncoming flash their highbeams. Adjustment really does work.
Old 03-08-06, 06:26 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
The low-beam HIDs on my RX are perfect for urban driving, particularly on dark residential streets - but I understand your question about their adequacy on the highway - especially on blacktop roads that just seem to absorb light. They don't seem to throw very far down the road - although the horizontal spread is excellent.

I'm thinking about putting a slightly higher wattage lamp in the high-beams, as a cheap, aesthetic fix. I've had high-candlepower driving lights on a number of cars and trucks . . . and they ARE the solution . . . if you can live with the "Baja" look. Maybe a full brush bar would help conceal the mountings . . . now we go from "Baja" to "Mad Max" . . . .
The horizontal spread on all Lexus vehicles are excellent.
Old 03-09-06, 09:48 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RX_330
The horizontal spread on all Lexus vehicles are excellent.
lexus' and my ex gf!
Old 03-09-06, 03:06 PM
jaydunn
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Orzel
Mine is an 05 with the HID's and had the same problem, overdriving the lights. Took to dealer and they adjusted upwards - vast improvement, and I've yet to have oncoming flash their highbeams. Adjustment really does work.
I agree, the first trip with our new RX330 was back to the dealer about the lights. At least then the Canadian model came with the bixenons adjusted to the bottom of spec.. I asked the service dept. to adjust to top of spec. and we have had no problem since. No flashed hibeams either.
Old 03-09-06, 05:31 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankr66
lexus' and my ex gf!
ROTFLMAO!!!

I'm adding it to my sig!!
Old 03-11-06, 06:10 AM
Todd
Pole Position

Default Wow, that was helpful

Old 03-11-06, 08:59 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X

I do wish that the HID adjustment could be made speed-sensitive. Aim lower at street speed so I can spot potholes or dead raccoons sooner, aim higher for highway driving. Even manual adjustment in the cabin would be fine.
Old 03-11-06, 07:35 PM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got our RX350 this week and had my first long day in it. I noticed this evening that the headlights seem to be aimed much higher and don't have anywhere near the dreaded "curtain of darkness" that we had on the 2005 330. Even when we took it to the dealer they didn't adjust anything - said it was to spec.

Much happier with the lights on the 350. Not sure what else they improved with them but I did find myself commenting on them tonight.

Just a quick $.02!

Jay
Old 03-12-06, 08:08 AM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DigMyM35x
Just got our RX350 this week and had my first long day in it. I noticed this evening that the headlights seem to be aimed much higher and don't have anywhere near the dreaded "curtain of darkness" that we had on the 2005 330. Even when we took it to the dealer they didn't adjust anything - said it was to spec.

Much happier with the lights on the 350. Not sure what else they improved with them but I did find myself commenting on them tonight.

Just a quick $.02!

Jay
And I found the headlights in my '05 (with AFS) to be much better than the headlights in my '04 (without AFS).

--Jay

Quick Reply: Over driving headlights