RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

How much weight have you towed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-06, 08:23 PM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do Robert. I own an auto repair shop that specializes in Automatic Transmissions. I also belong to ATRA (automatic transmission rebuilers association) located out of California. I called and talked with them on the CVT transmission before my purchase. They said as long as im not hauling up long grades for a lond period of time there wont be any proble. He said the trany in the 400h is a hopped up version of the Prius and there havent been any problems with that. I need to get the boat out of winter storage and rip into the motor soon anyway. So I might as well take her for a spin down the road and see how the Lexus pulls.

Take care, Bob
Old 01-22-06, 07:34 AM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

I tow 1 jet ski (700 lbs) no problem. I have a 400h, too. I saw a 330 towing 2 jet skis on the highway and he passed me when I was doing 75
Old 01-22-06, 07:35 AM
jrudley
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
You should do fine with 2500-3000 lbs with electric brake. I tow a flat bed with 2 ATVs, less than what you plan on doing.

If you are new to towing, I'd suggest that you find an empty parking lot and practice backing up with the trailer. Trust me, it ain't easy. Welcome to the club.

The backup camera does come in handy at the launch ramp for my jet ski
Old 01-22-06, 04:56 PM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jrudley
I tow 1 jet ski (700 lbs) no problem. I have a 400h, too. I saw a 330 towing 2 jet skis on the highway and he passed me when I was doing 75
Was it transmission slip that you were passed by the 330 carrying twice the weight? It couldnt have been lack of power.
Old 01-22-06, 10:11 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I dont have any personal experience with towing in the RX330, but a quick FYI. If your looking for an RX330 now and can hold off a few months, the RX350 will be out. You will definitely see a nice increase in power and a little bit easier on towing, but other factors such as braking(which seems to be a bigger problem expressed here) will not be affected unfortunately(well based on what we already know).
Old 02-09-06, 12:20 PM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Well I had a chance to hook on to the boat and see how the 400h pulls it. I just took it down the road and ran for a total of 6 miles, city and hwy combined. I was very pleased at how well it pulled and stopped concidering I have no trailer brakes. The only thing I have noticed going from a Pickup as a tow vehicle to the Lexus, is hearing the receiver noise in the back of the SUV. But you hear that in any SUV so I am very happy so far.

Hope this helps, Bob
Old 02-09-06, 03:31 PM
rxnext
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Bob.......That's encouraging to hear. So, if the trailer had electric brakes and an adjuster installed in the 400h, sounds like you would be set to goooooooo! How was the shifting "up and down" while towing?

I'm selling my '55 Porsche Speedster in a couple of weeks, after that the BIG trailer goes. Then I'll be trading the Tahoe for an RX. Probably will be patient enough to wait for the 350 though. But still considering the 400 too.

Cheers,
Robert
Old 02-09-06, 05:27 PM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

I was really supised at the CVT Trany. I figured it would wind up with a load behind it, but it didnt. It just up shifted like my boat wasnt even there. I was worried I would end up installing surge brakes on my trailer. Then every time I would have to back it up hill into my garage I would have to jump out and put the pin in so they dont apply. Either that or splice into the back up lights so the accuator unit would by pass it in reverse. But I really didnt want to cut into any wires. One more test will be to see if the electric motors have enough power to get the boat into the garage. The engine doesnt help along in reverse.

One thing I dont like is where the wire harness is located on the factory recever hitch. Its so far to the left side of the vehicle that the trailer wiring gets pulled out on a right turn. The right way would be to put it as close to the center as possable.
Old 02-12-06, 06:14 PM
loubob
Driver School Candidate

Question Verify Tow Package is on our RX330

We just purchased a used '04 RX330. How can I check to verify there is a tow pkg. on it as the sales mgr. claimed? I looked in the engine compartment & could not locate the tranny-oil cooler nor could I tell if the radiator was h.d. Any/all help appreciated.
Thanks...Loubob
Old 08-14-06, 10:44 AM
ocdavid
Rookie

Originally Posted by loubob
We just purchased a used '04 RX330. How can I check to verify there is a tow pkg. on it as the sales mgr. claimed? I looked in the engine compartment & could not locate the tranny-oil cooler nor could I tell if the radiator was h.d. Any/all help appreciated.
Thanks...Loubob
Call 1-800-25-Lexus and have your vin number ready. Tell them that you want to find out if you have the Towing prep package on your car and they will ask for your vin and tell you in about a minute!
Old 06-07-08, 05:54 AM
Frankr66
Pole Position

anyone know what the max tounge weight is for the rx330 with factory towing package?

im looking to get a dirt bike carrier that attaches to the reciever

it should be about 300lbs total
Old 06-07-08, 06:44 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Maximum tongue weight is almost always 10% of towing capacity--as it is in this case. 350lbs. You should be fine.
Old 06-08-08, 06:47 AM
Chris_H
Driver School Candidate

Just bought an 05 RX330 with factory tow package yesterday. I took it for an extended test drive and brought it home and hooked up my boat (19' ski boat ~3000Lbs, no trailer brakes). It tows fine, no issues. The rear dropped exactly one inch which isn't too bad. I towed down to the ramp and dipped the boat in to test its pulling ability, then did a short ride on the highway. Again , no issues. I had a Range Rover before which was very strong (6000 Lbs capacity) and the RX did fine by comparison.
Old 06-11-08, 04:02 PM
Frankr66
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Maximum tongue weight is almost always 10% of towing capacity--as it is in this case. 350lbs. You should be fine.
thanks for the info!
Old 06-11-08, 05:42 PM
Junkxus
Rookie

God! I would not tow a lawn mower with and RX, you may tear the thin body of this car in two! I also agree if you have a 330 it may not have enough power to pull over 2000 lbs up hill if anyone is in the car with you. Also, the transmission is the weak link in these cars. Can you say Toyota Camry, economy car!!! I would have kept your Land Rover and tow your house and boat at the same time. My GMC Yukon XL would tow a Sherman tank. Maybe have the boat tow the RX!! These cars are very light duty, on road only. Like a Camry wagon. I would keep an eye on the transmission fluid for changes in color and oder (burning).

Last edited by Junkxus; 06-11-08 at 05:49 PM.

Quick Reply: How much weight have you towed?