RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

MP3 or XM in your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-05, 03:33 AM
Nikolai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MP3 or XM in your RX?

Today I took the stereo out to have a look if I can easily cut in a connector
for a laptop or an MP3 player as I used to do before. This is not complicated
and I can give instructions to anyone who wants to do this since I already
did the preliminary measuring work. One idea is to hardwire a switch,
another - to use 4000 series logic chips to go from radio to the new "AUX"
by a press of the tape eject button. The cable with 3.5mm jack can go
nicely through the glove compartment.

For those who were wondering what the connectors the stereo has - it
has 3 connectors. One for audio signal & data - 20-pins. Another for
steering wheel controls - also 20 pins. And third for the "CAN" network,
12 pins, only 2 used by the connector, but more used inside the stereo.

The actual stereo has a "Toyota" label but also has markings that it was
made by Pioneer. I can attach pictures for those who are super-curious.

My question is not that though. I am realising that this "workaround" would
take almost entire day to do. So as a more expensive but better alternative,
has anyone tried that SoundLinQ thing: http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html or
something else to get an MP3 player or something else in terms of audio?

Fake tape and FM transmitters are not viable options. They make the
sound go much werse than direct hookup into the amplifier as I explained
above. In particular both lack highs and channel separation.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-05, 05:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I have an XM Radio in mine (works in Mexico and I stick the antenna in the sunroof area) with the tape unit and the sound improved a lot after I installed the Sun Automobile Hypervoltage and Hyperground systems. The bass sounds more crisp and clear.

However, for even more perfect sound...you are right about the direct connection.
Old 11-30-05, 06:00 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just ordered the SoundLinQ SLI for my GS300 so I should be getting that in two weeks. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-05-05, 07:21 PM
RyanLBart
Driver School Candidate

Default SLX installed over the weekend

Hi! I had the SLX installed over the weekend. I previously had just the XM Terk Commander installed- the sound quality was terrible and using the remote control was a pain (the buttons were a too small to use). The sound quality is 100% better than previously. I have yet to get the channel display/artist/song to display correctly- but mine was installed as in the MD changer emulation mode (not CD changer mode). According to the store that installed it, it has to be installed in this mode because I have a 6-Disc changer. I have posted a question to VAIS to see if this is true (personally, I don't think it is seeing how the pictures on their website show a 6-Disc changer- but Lexus did change the radio from 2004 to 2005). The MD changer mode is a bit tricky to get used to (there is no direct entry, there are only 10 presets, there is a 10+/- channel option, etc.). Overall, I am pretty pleased with it because of the increased sound quality and the ability to use the steering wheel controls. Not being able to see the song information is a bit of a bummer though... Good luck!
Old 02-15-06, 06:08 AM
artaquio
Driver School Candidate

Could you please send me the directions to make the aux input? I a trying to connect the Ipod but I don´t want to loose the CD changer. Should be a nice way to cut some wires and have a double RCA input. It is just a matter f know wich wires should be cutted.

Also I am trying to make a video input to the nav screen and driving myself crazy. If any results come, I will post.
Old 02-15-06, 06:36 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanLBart
Hi! I had the SLX installed over the weekend. I previously had just the XM Terk Commander installed- the sound quality was terrible and using the remote control was a pain (the buttons were a too small to use). The sound quality is 100% better than previously. I have yet to get the channel display/artist/song to display correctly- but mine was installed as in the MD changer emulation mode (not CD changer mode). According to the store that installed it, it has to be installed in this mode because I have a 6-Disc changer. I have posted a question to VAIS to see if this is true (personally, I don't think it is seeing how the pictures on their website show a 6-Disc changer- but Lexus did change the radio from 2004 to 2005). The MD changer mode is a bit tricky to get used to (there is no direct entry, there are only 10 presets, there is a 10+/- channel option, etc.). Overall, I am pretty pleased with it because of the increased sound quality and the ability to use the steering wheel controls. Not being able to see the song information is a bit of a bummer though... Good luck!
That's not true... you can, and should use the CD emulation mode if you have the 6-disc changer. It works fine in my car and I can see the album/song titles.
Old 08-24-17, 11:27 PM
Hinchered
Driver School Candidate

Default Sorry sir

Originally Posted by RyanLBart
Excuse me sir, sorry to bother you, but it seems that you know a lot about XM and MP3 issues, I have a related problem may I ask you about. In fact, I want to convert XM to MP3 with this XM converter as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/ti … erter.html". It mentions that it is capable of reducing audio size. But I have no idea why, after conversion to mp3, the XM file gets a little bit bigger. I do not have much space in my portable player. Is MP3 file much bigger than XM?
Old 08-25-17, 05:32 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You might want to check the date of the post you're replying to. Clicking on a user name will take you to the user's profile page where you can also view the user's last activity date.