RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Removing Scuff Marks from Exterior Plastic Door Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-05, 01:52 AM
Rob_Rx330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Scuff Marks from Exterior Plastic Door Runner

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Is there anything that can remove scuff marks from exterior plastics.

Right near the bottom of the car. Running just under the car doors. there is a black plastic strip - probably to protect the paint work from people who get into/out of the car.

Well, I was only wearing tennis shoes and getting into the drivers side, I managed to hit this plastic with the heel of my tennis shoes. It wasn't all that hard, but it has left some scuff marks on this black plastic. I tried to use just water and it hasn't come off.

Is there anything you guys can recommend that would get rid of these marks. I tried really rubbing hard with just plain water and you can still see the residue from the tennis shoes. Can you recommend what I could use around the house to remove these marks.

Thanks
Rob
Old 07-31-05, 06:19 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Get some "Forever Black Bumper & Trim Cleaner and Reconditioner" .
The package comes in two bottles .A cleaner and a reconditioner.
The reconditioner is basically black paint for the plastic trim.
I do all the plastic trim every time I detail my car and it comes out looking brand new.
I've never seen it at the local stores I always get it online .
See www.foreverblack.com.
Check autopia.com and you'll find a couple of vendors who sell it.

Last edited by cantsleepnk; 07-31-05 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-31-05, 01:37 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rob_Rx330
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Is there anything that can remove scuff marks from exterior plastics.
I use plain 'ol Armor All, on all 4 tires, 4 skirts, bumper pad & rear window wiper. It doesn't get the wet-shiny look, but rather brand new shiny. I love it!
Old 08-01-05, 01:53 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I use plain 'ol Armor All, on all 4 tires, 4 skirts, bumper pad & rear window wiper. It doesn't get the wet-shiny look, but rather brand new shiny. I love it!
Watch out for Armor All....I stay away from that. It cracked my front dashboard vinyl and tires. I switched to P&S 802. Good stuff. Dealers use it.
Old 08-02-05, 01:25 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Watch out for Armor All....I stay away from that. It cracked my front dashboard vinyl and tires. I switched to P&S 802. Good stuff. Dealers use it.
I've heard this before, so I switched to a product called Premium Clear from a auto paint shop, but I noticed that it also dried out the tires (I believe it was a silicone product).

Do you think by keeping my tires Armor-alled constantly (which I do), it will keep it "moist" and not dry it out?

What brand is P&S?
Old 08-02-05, 05:54 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I heard, the old Amrol formula did dry out the rubber or vinyl, but they supposedly reformulated their formula so it shouldn't be a problem anymore. Eitherway, I use that Aerospace 303 product for the dash and other interior vinyl. It doesn't leave a glossy shine, but more of a matte finish. I use it in car shows and I know a lot of other participants that use it as well. On the tires I just use anything that gives a good wet shine look since that works for car shows. My tires don't last long enough for me to worry about it drying out since I use high performance summer tires that don't last 30K miles If my tires last 2 years or 20K miles I'd be extremely happy. So far after about I would guess 20+ sets of tires I've gone though in the last 15 or so years I've never had a problem with any product cracking or drying out the tires within the time frame that they have lasted before needing replacement.

As for removing actual scuff marks, it depends on what trim you are talking about. If it is a painted part I just remove scuffs as I would do for light scratches or swirls on any other paint. if it is on the black plastic, it should just rub off unless it is a deeper scuff in which I don't believe there is much you can do.
Old 08-02-05, 07:27 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Vinylex" is a substitute of the 303 Aerospace Protectant ..
Old 08-02-05, 01:49 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied
I've heard this before, so I switched to a product called Premium Clear from a auto paint shop, but I noticed that it also dried out the tires (I believe it was a silicone product).

Do you think by keeping my tires Armor-alled constantly (which I do), it will keep it "moist" and not dry it out?

What brand is P&S?

P&S is the brand name. Good Stuff. I've been using it for the last 10yrs with good results. No cracking or drying!!

http://www.pssales.com/
Old 08-03-05, 01:16 AM
Rob_Rx330
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
As for removing actual scuff marks, it depends on what trim you are talking about. If it is a painted part I just remove scuffs as I would do for light scratches or swirls on any other paint. if it is on the black plastic, it should just rub off unless it is a deeper scuff in which I don't believe there is much you can do.
You know what, you were absolutely right. I tried everything except trying to rub it real hard with my thumb. I have a blister to show for it, but was absolutely worth it.

Thanks
Rob