RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Big mistake leasing a 330.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05, 06:08 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Big mistake leasing a 330.

I should have bought it!

I am a proud new owner of an '05 RX. (Flint/black/nav). Very nice, even in comparison to my GX. The bluetooth feature is AWESOME. I was deciding to get another pickup truck but opted to treat myself. What a car!

Now I can understand why I see so many on the road! It is an amazing car at a good value.

The new gen nav is cool and I can't get over the bluetooth connectivity. The black interior is GORGEOUS and I can't wait until I get to see the flint when the rain stops. I just wish they offered Mark Levinson in my area.

All I have to do is update my sig pic when I get a new pic of this car.

1 quick question: My car has a button that is "AFS Off." Does this mean that my car definitetly has the Adaptive Front lighting System or is it just a dummy button?

Thanks

-Yaro
Old 04-30-05, 06:24 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yaro1

1 quick question: My car has a button that is "AFS Off." Does this mean that my car definitetly has the Adaptive Front lighting System or is it just a dummy button?

Thanks

-Yaro
Your car should have it. Mine has the projector HID, but does not have the AFS option as it was an option in 04 and I DO NOT have that button.
Old 04-30-05, 07:12 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

congrats yaro! the black interior in the RX is perfect, isn't it? it looks so nice with the walnut.

and don't worry about leasing; that just gives you more reason to get the RX350 when your lease is up. i bought mine Feb 03, but i don't know how long i can hold on to it given all the great cars they are putting out.
Old 04-30-05, 11:49 PM
docfnky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFS button is real... you can see the movement when you turn the steering wheel
Old 05-01-05, 05:50 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy, lease - I just want one! It's Lexus country where I live and 330's are all over the place like ants.
Old 05-01-05, 02:02 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexuslover
congrats yaro! the black interior in the RX is perfect, isn't it? it looks so nice with the walnut.
OMG so true! I was always devoted to the ivory leather but now that I see the black with that wood OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now my interior color decission is going to much tougher. Maybe I will do black on the new GS!

What a color!

It is funny having both the RX now and GX comparing them. And the bluetooth is AWESOME! How did I live without it? I just wish could have waited 4 months and got the 05 GX with it. But no biggie! Now I have a perfect driveway!
Old 05-01-05, 06:51 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

The black interior is GORGEOUS
totally... I special ordered mine for that reason. Congrats, you're gonna love it!
Old 05-02-05, 12:04 AM
markpaco
Rookie

I believe that the 05' RX's come with the AFS standard. Haven't you driven the car at night yet? The headlights should do a diagnostic swivel (out, in, up, down) right when you start the car up.
Old 05-02-05, 09:39 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yaro, way to go...

The Adaptive front lighting system works at speeds above 9 MPH. It is a standard '05 feature. The voice command and bluetooth are the other '05 upgrades. Backing up's a little easier too with the back up camera. Are you going to let your son drive the RX?
Old 05-02-05, 05:57 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rockville
The Adaptive front lighting system works at speeds above 9 MPH.
Oh... Only above 9mph... That explains why it doesnt work when I am parked. I expected it to work like that. Darn, now I can't really show it to friends.

Originally Posted by Rockville
Are you going to let your son drive the RX?
Hmmmm. We'll see . Maybe after I get done with it if he needs it but when I get his GS he might not need it. For now hes gonna have the 1990 LS4 I'm getting (as long as nobody else nabs it up before me) as a collector. He wanted to see the car he read so much about.

He is just a fact machine: he can tell you the name of the person that created the engine, drag coefficient, displacement, HP and Torque ratings, and everythign else about the car. He knows more than the salespeople when we go to dealers. At least he can teach me all of the nav and bluetooth features for some of us that aren't computer programmers .

Why should I ever buy a non-Lexus again? (except for Corvette). Such great well-thought-out cars. Geeze; did anybody else notice the comfort thingy for the rear outbord seatbelts? My son showed it to me and it seems pretty cool! (A little plastic guide for the seatbelt that causes it to rest lower on your chest for kids (or smaller adults)).

Now I just need tinted front-side windows to make the car look better and more continuous.
Old 10-21-05, 10:40 PM
Blackwind
Driver School Candidate

I know on some of the Lexus vehicles that may have AFS as an option, that if you turn off the AFS, it will show "AFS OFF" on the instrument panel as an amber warning lamp. If you push the button, and nothing shows on the instrument panel, yours may not have AFS. Best check with your dealer's service department. A technician would be able to tell you with certainty whether you have it or not after seeing the car. I can't imagine having a button to turn the feature off without having some visual confirmation that it is off.
Old 11-01-05, 06:21 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Don't ever drive something like a BMW

I should have bought it!

I am a proud new owner of an '05 RX. (Flint/black/nav). Very nice, even in comparison to my GX. The bluetooth feature is AWESOME. I was deciding to get another pickup truck but opted to treat myself. What a car!

Now I can understand why I see so many on the road! It is an amazing car at a good value.

The new gen nav is cool and I can't get over the bluetooth connectivity. The black interior is GORGEOUS and I can't wait until I get to see the flint when the rain stops. I just wish they offered Mark Levinson in my area.

All I have to do is update my sig pic when I get a new pic of this car.

Thanks

-Yaro
We own a 1992 LS400 (since 1993), a 2003 BMW 330i, and recently added a 2004 RX330 with Nav, Levinson, DVD. The RX is for my wife. I have been driving the 330i and let me tell you one thing, if you love your RX and enjoy driving at all, never even consider driving a BMW. You will never view your RX the same way again. I confess that I don't like driving the RX even as much as I do our old LS. I don't even think it drives as well as the 2000 Yukon XL I traded in on it. But, my wife likes it and that's enough. She has never driven the 330i and I'll have to keep it that way.
Old 11-03-05, 07:06 AM
pachebel9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nopcbs
We own a 1992 LS400 (since 1993), a 2003 BMW 330i, and recently added a 2004 RX330 with Nav, Levinson, DVD. The RX is for my wife. I have been driving the 330i and let me tell you one thing, if you love your RX and enjoy driving at all, never even consider driving a BMW. You will never view your RX the same way again. I confess that I don't like driving the RX even as much as I do our old LS. I don't even think it drives as well as the 2000 Yukon XL I traded in on it. But, my wife likes it and that's enough. She has never driven the 330i and I'll have to keep it that way.
I currently drive a 323i, and my husband drives a 325ci. We're looking for an SUV, and are straying from the BMW brand because I think the X3 and X5 are unattractive. I had an X3 as a loaner last week, and while I was happy with the way it felt, I just can't see myself driving a vehicle I think is ugly. The RX330 is my top choice so far based purely on looks (won't get serious and do some test drives until January). Are you saying that I should expect to be disappointed with RX? Or is it just unfair to compare the feel of a sedan to an SUV?

I have a 330i loaner today (my dog keeps chewing up my seatbelts, hence the parade of loaners from the dealer), and it is enough to make me wish I didn't need an SUV. However, the aforementioned dog just doesn't fit well in a sedan.
Old 11-03-05, 08:21 AM
willinak
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pachebel9
I currently drive a 323i, and my husband drives a 325ci. We're looking for an SUV, and are straying from the BMW brand because I think the X3 and X5 are unattractive. I had an X3 as a loaner last week, and while I was happy with the way it felt, I just can't see myself driving a vehicle I think is ugly. The RX330 is my top choice so far based purely on looks (won't get serious and do some test drives until January). Are you saying that I should expect to be disappointed with RX? Or is it just unfair to compare the feel of a sedan to an SUV?

I have a 330i loaner today (my dog keeps chewing up my seatbelts, hence the parade of loaners from the dealer), and it is enough to make me wish I didn't need an SUV. However, the aforementioned dog just doesn't fit well in a sedan.

I too drive a BMW and while it was just in for it's 30k inspection (All free :~) ), I asked for an X3. After recent test driving the RX330 and 400h, I was really amazed at how the X3 handled, and it made me realize why I am a BMW roadie. Compare the X3 to the FX if you want to see fugly, and yes, both my wife and I can agree, the RX wins the beauty contest!

My wife, on the other hand, couldn't find a convenient place to stash her purse, her tote bag or her breifcase , and loves the creature comforts and space of the RX's

The difference I see is that I don't have to think about driving the X3. I feel a part of it (It had the harsher Sport Pkg.) sort of that "one withe the road" feel.

The RX's on the other hand, I felt that I was riding on top of them, sort of guiding them down the road. If I wanted to take a sharp turn, I had to think about. Body roll, would it be too much? Would it make it? Whew, that was a close one.

It's also about RWD. No FWD or FWD biased AWD comes close to RWD & RWD biased AWD.

I really liked the X3 BUT......... where in H3LL am I going to put my purse .

Just my $.02

Last edited by willinak; 11-03-05 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-03-05, 11:24 AM
SteveRX330
Rookie

Oh... Only above 9mph... That explains why it doesnt work when I am parked. I expected it to work like that. Darn, now I can't really show it to friends.
I believe my Owner's Manual says 30 mph, not 9 mph.

Quick Reply: Big mistake leasing a 330.