RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Thieves covet Lexus RX330's headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-05, 07:05 PM
shortbear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you can afford an RX330, you probably dont need to rip the HID off a civic.
Old 01-30-05, 11:32 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toy4two
Don't Lexus RX330 HID lights ONLY fit in other RX330's? Or do HIDs fit in any car?

I just don't see RX330 owners going out and ripping off HID lights. If you can put Lexus RX330 lights in a Civic, then I think we have a problem.

I thought HIDs had lot sof extra stuff like ballasts etc that you can just take the headlights.
They are pretty much all the same. All OEM HIDs for all manufacturers use a 35W ballast and a D2S or D2R HID bulb. D2S for projector housings and D2R for reflector housings. The D2S/D2R HID bulbs are standard center pin type connections used on all OEM manufacturer cars so they are all interchangeable. Philps and Osram are the most ppular OE suppliers and they still the same connection. The ballast design may vary from manufacturer, but it basically is just a trasnformer and they are all 35W so if you can hook up a positive and negative connection you can hook it up in any car if you wanted. Now that is just for the actual HID lighting system. The OEM projectors are also popular as retrofits into other cars or as replacements. In this case, once they rip our your headlights they open them up and take the projectors and discard the rest of the housing. People are just stealing the RX330 HIDs because it appears to be easier than other OEM equiped cars. Anyway, even if they just got the HID bulb it can be worth some money. Dealers will charge you about $150 for each HID replacement bulb, while you can often buy the same HID bulb on ebay for $50.
Old 02-04-05, 09:27 PM
joako
Driver

Originally Posted by Domo-Kun
These soccer moms are frickin' idiots. Time to move to a better neighborhood. They are trying to live ghetto-large. One of them was saying "I hate Lexus for doing this, making it so easy to pop out the headlights. . .blah, blah, blah."

What's next?

"oh, I hate the Glock Co.! They made it sooo easy to shoot that .45 underwater, submerged in mud, after it's frozen, etc, etc! Who knew I would end up with an exit wound the size of a grapefruit in my forehead when I pulled the trigger! It's ALL Glocks fault!"

"Man what is up with this HOT coffee, you mean if I spill this molten lava java on my lap I will burn myself? The horror, obviously this is ALL the fault of McDonalds! They made it so cheap and easy to Burn myself!"

"How come I can't lock my infant in the back of my suburban in Arizona in the summer when the temp is 120 F? I was at the Jamba Juice for just a couple of minutes. They should have designed the vehicle to let more air in when all the doors are shut and the windows closed. It's all GM's fault for letting my infant cook to dead in the suburban roaster, NOT my fault."

"You mean to tell me that if I drank a gallon of drano that it could possibly kill me? They made it so easy to pour out the drano. Anyone can pour it out and drink it and die. This is obviously the fault of Drano not me."

Absolutely no accountability for the owner's actions nor their ignorance to the amount of technology vested in their vehicles. Move all that christmas decoration crap out of your garage into the dumpster or selfstorage and put the SECOND BIGGEST INVESTMENT AFTER YOUR HOUSE IN THE DAMN GARAGE. Your not gonna leave your Rolex out on the front porch, why your RX?
Sorry, I agree with all your points besides the car related ones. Yes, there are going to be break ins and there are areas with worse crime problems than others.

I have not had a chance to review the mouting of headlights in an RX330, nor does mine have HID lights so I don't even know if the halogen lights are mounted in the same fashion. BUT if indeed the system for mouting these headlights was not as secure as it should have been, Lexus should NOT be held accountable, but they should be responsible enough to determine a way to better secure the lights and offer that solution to customers at low/no cost.
Old 04-09-15, 03:46 PM
FiOSDave
Driver School Candidate

I have an idea! Since you can get your windows etched, why not etch the headlights, as well? That seems to be an inexpensive solution. With etched headlights, there will be less incentive to steal them. If the etching is where the police can read it, those who install them in their own cars would have a lot of explaining to do!
Would be interesting to see if this has cut down the theft of auto glass.