RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

!!RECALL!!-15,000 '04-05 RX330 Radiator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-04, 02:18 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by LEXTECH
I'm not knocking Lexus, all I'm saying is there's been a noticable drop in initial quality. Lexus has dropped to 6th behind Saturn in customer satisfaction. Lexus is now scrambling to find a new survey system in order to get the information they need to do better, with that they will get a better idea on what their customers want and be able to draw in new customers, I attended that meeting 3-4 weeks ago. Lexus is going through a transition period right now, they're going through the first steps to "separate" from Toyota to become a real luxury car manufacturer yet still be a division of Toyota Motor Corporation. Let a few years pass and Lexus will up to speed kickin' *** and takin' names.
Nice signiture
Old 11-13-04, 02:55 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received a letter today about the limited service campaign to replace the radiator. Good timing, too, as I was already planning to drop it off next week for the 15K service and a/c groaning TSB.
Old 11-14-04, 09:43 PM
grnstreak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holy crap doing a rad on an rx330 is a PITA
Old 11-18-04, 05:31 PM
jayskinner
Driver

Originally posted by jayskinner
I received a letter today about the limited service campaign to replace the radiator. Good timing, too, as I was already planning to drop it off next week for the 15K service and a/c groaning TSB.
Update to my post from the 13th. I dropped the vehicle off yesterday evening, and got it back this evening, after the 15k service, radiator replacement, a/c groan tsb, and glove box rattle tsb were performed.
Old 11-18-04, 09:29 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Come on guys, for those of you that mentioned that Lexus has fallen down customer satisfaction are not looking properly or not obtaining the proper facts. Lexus is still number 1 for vehicle dependibility in J.D power associate and is still number 4 in Customer satisfaction index. FOr gods sake, don;t ever say that Lexus is below saturn in customer satisfaction! Besides Buick and and Lincoln have such an aging lineup thus their products are quite dependible and customers are satisfied with them because their dealerships are doing everything they can to hold on existing customers. I am sorry for those who have problems with their lexus, but every company is bound to have lets say 10 out of eveyr 3,000 cars or so that has mulitple problems, thats life and no ones perfect. But you have to hand it to lexus for doing a fantastic job since coming to USA in 1989.
I have a Canadian Built Lexus RX330, and believe me, when I bought it I had to make sure that everything was like its Japanese counterpart, and it was. I had no problems with the car and the transmission is very responsive and eveyrthing is perfectly done. I got the radiator replacement under the service bulliten and thats all.
Old 03-17-11, 12:46 PM
JamesHuang
Driver

Old thread I know but has anyone had this issue recently? I just found out my radiator is leaking on my 2004 RX330 with 99K miles. If it's just due to the high miles than that's fine but figure these radiators would last a lot longer before failure.
Old 11-12-11, 01:03 PM
Bobr31
Driver School Candidate

I know this is an old thread, but the radiator in my Lexus RX330 just started leaking. The dealer noticed it when I had it in for the carpet retaining clips in Nov. They advised it would be $1,100 to replace it. The vehicle has 63,000 miles on it. It was a dealer demo we bought in Dec 2004 with 23,000 miles on it. We were the first owner other than Lexus.

After doing research on line, I discovered the Limited Service Campaign info and determined by serial number that my RX330 is included in the "recall". When I contacted the dealer, they agreed that the vehicle was covered by the "recall", but the recall details provided coverage for 7 years from in service date or 90K, whichever came first. They acknowledged that the vehicle had low mileage, but denied coverage because I was outside the 7 years.

I saw a posting that indicated that Lexus sent out recall letters to affected owners. Can anyone confirm they got a letter? When were they sent out? I never received a letter so had no idea about the recall. I live in Boston, so I would qualify as a cold weather owner.

I am wondering if the letter was sent out while Lexus was using my vehicle as a demo, before they sold it to me, and they never made the repair. I also question the in service date, as I was the first owner, other than the local Lexus dealer. Wondering if I can successfully argue that the in service date was when I bought it in Dec 2004, which would be just inside the 7 years.

I would be interested in any suggestions on how to handle this with Lexus, other than paying for the repairs myself.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-12-11, 01:08 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobr31
I know this is an old thread, but the radiator in my Lexus RX330 just started leaking. The dealer noticed it when I had it in for the carpet retaining clips in Nov. They advised it would be $1,100 to replace it. The vehicle has 63,000 miles on it. It was a dealer demo we bought in Dec 2004 with 23,000 miles on it. We were the first owner other than Lexus.

After doing research on line, I discovered the Limited Service Campaign info and determined by serial number that my RX330 is included in the "recall". When I contacted the dealer, they agreed that the vehicle was covered by the "recall", but the recall details provided coverage for 7 years from in service date or 90K, whichever came first. They acknowledged that the vehicle had low mileage, but denied coverage because I was outside the 7 years.

I saw a posting that indicated that Lexus sent out recall letters to affected owners. Can anyone confirm they got a letter? When were they sent out? I never received a letter so had no idea about the recall. I live in Boston, so I would qualify as a cold weather owner.

I am wondering if the letter was sent out while Lexus was using my vehicle as a demo, before they sold it to me, and they never made the repair. I also question the in service date, as I was the first owner, other than the local Lexus dealer. Wondering if I can successfully argue that the in service date was when I bought it in Dec 2004, which would be just inside the 7 years.

I would be interested in any suggestions on how to handle this with Lexus, other than paying for the repairs myself.

Thanks,

Bob
Call Lexus Customer Service. Phone number is in the Owner's Manual. They can tell you what the extended warranty was for this item and can perhaps help with the dealer as needed.

As for the leak, depends on where it is leaking. The recall and extended warranty was for a leak at the bottom of the radiator if I remember correct.
Old 11-14-11, 10:48 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXTECH
I agree with Fern, when I found out in March '03 that Lexus was going to build RX's outside of Japan, in the same factory where the Toy Matrix and Corolla are built. I felt maybe it wasn't such a good idea. It has to do with the whole Toyota-General Motors complex. I've done pre-delvery inspections on Canadian RX's most of them arrive filthy from sitting around on a lot somewhere and tend to have more problems mostly minor ones that can be fixed before it's sold to a customer.
Just to be clear, the Lexus plant is a separate building on the Toyota property in Cambridge, Ontario. Totally separate facility and assembly menthods/processes.
Old 01-10-12, 07:08 PM
compdr59
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am an original owner of an effected 2004. I never received a letter and I was informed of a $1000 repair bill because it's over the 7 years. After contacting customer service they agreed on paying half. I'm still working on a better resolution.

Last edited by compdr59; 01-13-12 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-11-12, 07:32 PM
compdr59
Driver

I just received a letter stating that I will be reimbursed for the radiator and anti-freeze. I'll install it myself.
Old 01-12-12, 04:52 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Good for you, it should not be a bad install.
Old 01-13-12, 06:15 AM
compdr59
Driver

What pisses me off is I asked the service department several times if my VIN was effected.
They said no. After I actually found the leak is when I started to scream. I had to call them with the NHTSA reference numbers to find the TSB.
Old 01-16-12, 06:16 AM
Bobr31
Driver School Candidate

I finally heard back from Lexus dealer on my radiator issue in late December. They agreed to cover the full cost of the radiator replacement and antifreeze...$1,000. I was within the 90K miles but beyond the 7 years as noted in my post above. The vehicle was a dealer demo when we bought it and Lexus had received the recall letter on the car before they sold it to me. They told me the Campaign was performed in October 2004. I bought it in Dec 2004. What this meant is that they inspected it but never did the replacement as it wasn't leaking. My agrument was that they did not notify me of the recall and 7 year warranty. The Regional Service and Parts Manger got involved and approved the "Goodwill" replacement. All in all a good result and fairly handled by the dealer.
Old 01-16-12, 06:45 AM
compdr59
Driver

I wish that was my case. I knew my car was leaking because I had to add antifreeze every few months. The dealer and Lexus used the excuse that I didn't ask to have the car inspected by them. With the lack of a paper trail couldn't prove I asked about radiator coverage. On a high note, it never leaked fast enough to puddle on the ground and I never overheated because of it. It's a good thing I like to work on cars, so now I have a new project.

Quick Reply: !!RECALL!!-15,000 '04-05 RX330 Radiator Replacement