RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Roof Box/Rack - Which Thule?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-04, 02:47 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Box/Rack - Which Thule?

I'm about to purchase a roof rack system for my RX330. The dealership has the Thule Evolution 1600 in stock.

However - the parts person warned me that this roof box prevents keeps the rear hatch from opening 100% (it opens about 85% and then bumps the rear hatch).

Anybody have experience with other Thule racks like the Cascade 1500?
Old 08-05-04, 02:41 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

I have not had a problem with the Thule Evolution 1600. You will need to move the front crossbar on the roof rack all the way forward. There is a rubber spacer piece you need to take out in order to move the bar closest to the front. The hatch will open all the way.
Old 08-13-04, 10:39 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

I put on the 1600 today, and removed the two rubber spacers from the side-rails (1 from each side). And now the hatch opens about 90% of the way.

The spacers I removed were about 2 inches long. And I've pushed the front crossbar is as far forward as it can go.

Was there something else that you needed to remove to make it all work?
Old 08-16-04, 08:59 AM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

As long as you have the cross bar closest to the front of the vehicle and the front of the box mounted to that bar first - that should put the box closest to the front of the vehicle. The front of the box comes up to the top edge of the windshield - but does not overhang over windshield. I just came back from a trip with the box mounted and the hatch opens all the way with about an inch to spare. For some reason - I remember the rubber spacers being about 4 inches long each. It is strange why you are having this problem - maybe the mounting holes on the box you have are in a slightly different position - not allowing it to be mounted closer to the front ? That is the only thing I can think of. With the hatch hitting the box - does it scratch the black plastic spolier and does the power hatch still work OK ? Does the power hatch work and let it go down when the hatch is not fully opened ?
Old 08-16-04, 12:54 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

I'll take a closer look tonight and see if there anything else I might have missed. I bought the Thule box from Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly, VA. Their parts guy said he's installed about 40 of these himself on RX330s. And they all bump the door even with the spacer removed.

...I've slid all the roof bars as far out as they can go. And I've adjusted the Thule box so the U-bolts are as far forward as allowed.

Maybe Lexus redesigned the roof-rack somewhere along the way.?????

>>With the hatch hitting the box - does it scratch the black plastic spolier and does the power hatch still work OK ? Does the power hatch work and let it go down when the hatch is not fully opened ?

Yeah- the plastic spoiler hits the box and will get scratched in the long run. I haven't let the power hatch attempt to open all the way - I'm worried about cracking the rear spoiler.

Old 08-17-04, 05:31 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

I took a measurement - The cross bar closest to the front of the vehicle is 2 1/4 " from where the sun roof starts. Can you see how close your cross bar is to the sunroof ?

If it is the same - I can also go and measure where the holes line up inside the cargo box to see if the holes in the box that I have are in a slightly different position.

I also did check my receipt to verify that have a Thule Evolution 1600 - silver in color. Is your solid black in color ?
Old 08-17-04, 09:22 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

>>I took a measurement - The cross bar closest to the front of the vehicle is 2 1/4 " from where the sun roof starts. Can you see how close your cross bar is to the sunroof ?

Same. I measure 2-1/4" also

>>If it is the same - I can also go and measure where the holes line up inside the cargo box to see if the holes in the box that I have are in a slightly different position.

I was going to give you some measurements in return, but the 1600 has a curved front, so its hard to get an accurate measurement because its not a perpendicular edge.

I currently have the box off, so I could keep the RX in the garage...but I'll find time this weekend to experiment some more and let you know if I have better luck the second time. I'll let you know!
Old 08-23-04, 07:19 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

I wish I had an answer on why mine works. Maybe for some reason my hatch does not extend as far as yours. That would make no sense though. Do you have the all black cargo box or silver one ? Mine is silver.
Old 08-24-04, 09:03 AM
blue_rx330
Rookie

>>Do you have the all black cargo box or silver one ? Mine is silver.

Silver here also. I tried to reposition the box, and triple-checked all 4 brackets and made sure they are all moved to their extreme positions. Still no luck. I'd estimate that if I could just move the box about 1/2" more forward, the rear hatch wouldn't hit the box.

So I had to add a low-tech solution. I bought some all-black outdoor pipe-insulating wrap from Home Depot ($3!) and added a weather-proof "bumper" to the back of the Thule box. So now I can open the door manually, or with the power-switch without worrying about scratching or denting the rear spoiler. Since its black, and the bottom of the box is black, the bumper almost looks like it belongs with the box. (The hatch opens far enough so the power-hatch doesn't retract once opened)

I also may add some plastic coat to the metallic U bolts to keep them from scratching the roof and the bars. Too bad Thule couldn't spend the extra couple pennies and have done that themselves.
Old 08-26-04, 04:32 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

I am glad you found a way to make it work for you. I had the same problem with the brackets scratching the cross bars. I was tempted to take the cargo box and mount it back on the vehicle and take a picture to show you that it works on mine. I still have no idea why. I guess I lucked out. I am sorry - I could not help you more. I am sure you won't be driving too often with the box on top - so it should not be too much of a pain - I hope. Good luck. Talk to ya later.