RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Comfortable seats in RX330?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-04, 07:54 PM
Mark_LP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfortable seats in RX330?

I recently purchased the RX330 and have overall been very pleased with its features and performance based upon the 2800 miles I have put on it so far. I would not give its seats such glowing remarks though. I am a male, of average build and 6' tall as a point of reference.
These are my current issues with the vehicle's seating (spec. the driver seat)
1- Lumbar support air bladder is too big. I'm a tall person and when the lumbar is inflated it reaches to my shoulder blades. Therefore, I have to reduce. Hence, no lumbar support. My last vehicle the lumbar was adjustable in and out as well as up and down. I'm at the point that I need to have a local trim shop add foam or modify the bladder.
2- The side arm rest is mounted too high on the seat. Your arm and shoulder should rest comfortably on the rest. It is mounted so high that my shoulder is jacked up. The more you tilt the seat back, the worse the situation. The arm rest on the GX is mounted at the right height and even starts at the right height.
3- The front of the seat should go higher and the back should actually go down, not just up.
4- The parking brake is in the way of the dead pedal. It should be a different system altogether.
5- The head rest should be able to be put in such a position that if you lean your head back 2 inches, the rest will be effective. The tilt feature should also be stiffer so that it is not so likely to move
6- The brake pedal should be closer to the gas. It allows for much quicker pedal changes. My foot has also caught on the air vent on the way to the brake pedal a few too many times.
7- The 3 spoke is nice and sporty but the 4 spoke is much more practical for driver control and accomodates many more wheel functions.
8- Add the heated steering wheel option.

Sorry if this sounds like moaning, but I guess I expected a little more thought to have gone into a 2nd gen vehicle. Most of the issues, I can live with but some I can't. No's 1 and 2 are almost big enough that I have considered selling the vehicle if they cannot be remedied. If I didnt do so much driving, it wouldn't matter but I do.... So, any thoughts or ideas on ways to solve some of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Old 04-12-04, 08:20 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Comfortable seats in RX330?

Originally posted by Mark_LP
I recently purchased the RX330 and have overall been very pleased with its features and performance based upon the 2800 miles I have put on it so far. I would not give its seats such glowing remarks though. I am a male, of average build and 6' tall as a point of reference.
These are my current issues with the vehicle's seating (spec. the driver seat)
1- Lumbar support air bladder is too big. I'm a tall person and when the lumbar is inflated it reaches to my shoulder blades. Therefore, I have to reduce. Hence, no lumbar support. My last vehicle the lumbar was adjustable in and out as well as up and down. I'm at the point that I need to have a local trim shop add foam or modify the bladder.
2- The side arm rest is mounted too high on the seat. Your arm and shoulder should rest comfortably on the rest. It is mounted so high that my shoulder is jacked up. The more you tilt the seat back, the worse the situation. The arm rest on the GX is mounted at the right height and even starts at the right height.
3- The front of the seat should go higher and the back should actually go down, not just up.
4- The parking brake is in the way of the dead pedal. It should be a different system altogether.
5- The head rest should be able to be put in such a position that if you lean your head back 2 inches, the rest will be effective. The tilt feature should also be stiffer so that it is not so likely to move
6- The brake pedal should be closer to the gas. It allows for much quicker pedal changes. My foot has also caught on the air vent on the way to the brake pedal a few too many times.
7- The 3 spoke is nice and sporty but the 4 spoke is much more practical for driver control and accomodates many more wheel functions.
8- Add the heated steering wheel option.

Sorry if this sounds like moaning, but I guess I expected a little more thought to have gone into a 2nd gen vehicle. Most of the issues, I can live with but some I can't. No's 1 and 2 are almost big enough that I have considered selling the vehicle if they cannot be remedied. If I didnt do so much driving, it wouldn't matter but I do.... So, any thoughts or ideas on ways to solve some of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
How odd. I just returned from a 4,000 mile road trip. My findings were not the same as yours. My frame is 5"6"" 150 lb.

1. The lumbar support fits the curve of my spine like a glove. It feels like I am molded into the seat back.
2. The arm rests, both on the door and on the seat, are at the same level and they are a perfect fit for me.
3. I have not had any problem finding a comfortable position with this seat. Neither has my better half who is a shade over 5'.
4. While I haven't had any issues with the location of the parking brake, I think it could be positioned a bit higher. I certainly like it better there than on the console.
5. You are absolutely right about the head rest.
6. The brake pedal is perfect for us left foot brakers. I prefer it where it is thank you.
7. I have no issue with the spokes of the wheel as long as it doesn't obstruct my view of the instrument panel. Three or four...what's the big deal?
8. Oh yes I really agree with you here. I wish the wheel was heated. This is a big omission for us northerners.

Overall I found the RX330 to be a fantastic touring vehicle. If there is not enough adjustment for you, then I'd say Lexus needs to improve the adjustability of these items. For me, it feels like they made the RX for my body. I was able to drive very long distances at a time without fatigue. I wonder if your issues are common with other 6' and over drivers? How about it folks?
Old 04-12-04, 10:29 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the forums Mark!
I am sure you will enjoy your stay!

Just by looking at both of your responses I have an observation.
Mark says he is 6 feet tall while jfelbab is about 5"10 150lbs. Mark finds the seats uncomfortable while jfelbab finds them great. My theory is the Japanese tailored their cars to people of "asian size." Sounds about right doesn't it?

LOL Its getting late i'd better hit the sack.
Old 04-13-04, 05:25 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Good fit...for a 52-long

At 6’4” and 285, I’m a little larger than the average Asian – probably in the upper range of sizes the Japanese designers might have anticipated – unless they are furnishing vehicles to Sumo stars. My RX300 was very comfortable and fit me well, except that my seated height is such that I have to recline the seat a bit more than I would like to keep my head out of the moonroof. The armrests were slightly low for me, and the center armrest a little close. The lumbar support and headrest were perfect.

My RX330 is similarly comfortable, except for the same issues. The only difference is the headrest in the 330 cannot be tilted quite far enough forward, and the lower dashboard looks much closer to my shins, although I’ve never had any interference with it. Pedal placement is fine, with the 330’s console giving me a bit more room for my right knee. Overall, I’m very happy with the fit of my RXs. Now, when I’m jammed in a friend’s ES330, I fit like a grizzly in a phone booth; but that’s another story...
Old 04-13-04, 08:00 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Comfortable seats in RX330?

Originally posted by derek985
You brake with your LEFT FOOT?!?
Of course, doesn't everybody?
Actually time for a poll.
Old 04-13-04, 08:18 AM
dms666
Rookie

Default Parking brake placement

I've found that the foot parking brake is way too low. In fact, it's almost exactly right in the way of where I want to place my left leg.

It needs to be a few inches higher.
Old 04-13-04, 12:36 PM
blue_rx330
Rookie

>>My theory is the Japanese tailored their cars to people of "asian size." Sounds about right doesn't it?

bizzy928 --

Just for kicks -- here's my counter-theory. Maybe this was true in the past...but I think the opposite is now true. The RX330 appears to be specifically designed for non-Japanese markets. I remember reading about limitations on how wide a car can be in Japan because of their tight streets. I did a quick Google search and came up with this article:

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_cornerstone_strategy/

The previous generation 4-runner mentioned was 66" wide. The new 4-runner is 73" wide (for comparison the RX330 is 72" wide). So if you follow my logic, the vehicle was probably not designed with Japan in mind because its too wide for their streets without requiring a penalty.
Old 04-13-04, 07:58 PM
brent0226
Driver

Default Re: Comfortable seats in RX330?

Both our GX and the loaner RXs we have gotten are the same way. I don't understand why Lexus won't let the front of the cushion go higher. I like the front to be really high and the back to be low, effectively making a "cup" that holds you in place.

I saw that too. I wonder why it isn't just a handbrake in the console area..??

They probably did this to avoid "unintended acceleration" fiascos like Audi a while back. I just read a story about an older woman in an ES330 whose car accelerated "unintended."

I too prefer 4 spoke steering wheels. Three spoke steering wheels are considered to be more "sporty," though, and I think the RX's image is geared toward sport.
Old 04-14-04, 06:42 PM
Mark_LP
Driver School Candidate

Thank you to all for the comments. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who could see some improvement in this area. Hopefully, Lexus will read all our posts and continue to improve upon a great vehicle.
Old 04-14-04, 08:53 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

i too am 6 feet tall and am not as comfortable as my 5-5 wife. she says it fits her perfectly. i would be much much more comfortable if the front of the seat would go up higher. i had the same problem with our RX300 but learned to live with it (i am not the primary driver).

i did remove the front 2 bolts of the seat and placed 4 washers under the seat frame and put the bolts back in through the washers. it made a huge difference in my comfort level (my longish legs would rest on the seat instead of above it) but the bolts are too short to get enough thread engagement. i had to remove the washers. i haven't yet been able to find longer bolts because they are special fine thread types. i also wonder if there are any safety implications in adding the washers even if i am able to find a longer bolt. your thoughts?
Old 04-14-04, 08:56 PM
Fastenator
Driver School Candidate

also... i didn't like the way the new headrests tilt in the 330 - from below and not from the top like the RX300 - and once tilted they are too easy to move like someone else had mentioned. the problem was solved when we installed the epic headrest monitors. they tilt like the RX300.
Old 04-14-04, 09:05 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also feel that my RX300's seat cushion seems too short. I get virtually no thigh support.

It would be nice if auto makers start to offer "big and tall" seats as an option. If we could select options such as upgraded stereo, rear spoiler, navigation, etc.... why not seats?
Old 04-15-04, 07:46 PM
Mark_LP
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone found aftermarket seat suppliers? Does Recaro make something?
Old 04-15-04, 07:59 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah, racing seats only fit 18-year-old kids.
Old 07-19-06, 11:18 AM
rx330_ca
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 Seats not for average Male

I'm 5' 11" and I find these seats extremely unconfortable. Probably the most uncomfortable I've ever driven in. There's just not enough leg support,
the seat is too short compared to european cars (My other car is an Audi A6, had Volvo 960 before the RX330). Also, the thickness of the seat is far too tall. It doesn't go down far enough,
and definitely not enough upper thoracic support. Arm rest is too high. I get tired after just one hour of driving.
Not enough seat memories either, and you can't set them whilst your driving as I can with my Audi, (I have 3 recalls there, and can set and recall while driving.)
I bought the car for my wife primarily, but I'd like to enjoy it also on long trips.

Asked the dealer about changing the seats and he just stared at me as if I was crazy. Asked about Recaro, and the saleman didn't even know about them. Told me to go to a shop that 'Pimps your ride' they can help. Like, sure I'm gonna go there. I'm sure the seat rails are the same across similar models, and if not, I'm sure an adapter can be made easily.

I don't know where Toyota got their design research, but it was definitely not from experienced drivers or any european car comparisons.

I have many other issues currently with my RX330 and am contemplating giving it back to Lexus as they've already replace the engine's small block which didn't fix my engine rumble noise,
and the transmission's adaptive algorithm is extremely poor, no power when you need it.

Quick Reply: Comfortable seats in RX330?