RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 IPOD of Aux Hookup

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-04, 11:54 AM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Rx330 IPOD of Aux Hookup

I just took delivery of my new 2004 Black Rx330 with Nav, Rear Entertainment and have a question regarding how to hook up my IPOD or other devise utilizing the Aux inputs in the back and have it play through all of speakers.

After putting a dvd in the rear ent. system I have been able to make the ipod work on the rear ent. headphones, but not through the speakers, the dvd plays through the speakers not my IPOD. Does anyone have any suggestions or directions?

This is my first post, although I have been a member for a while. I appreciate all the info and thanks in advance for any help.

Regrex

By the way, I liked my Rx300, but I Love my Rx330.

(sorry, I initally posted to wrong forum)
Old 02-21-04, 02:17 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rx300

does the rx300 have this in the 2000 model with the "Lexus Premium Strereo System"?

I currently use an FM transmitter I got for $10 bucks form www.siig.com its the Wireless Audio Link and the best part is no wires. I use it to play DVDs on my laptop over my stereo system, listen to my talking GPS navigation system on my laptop (wireless bluetooth recieve of course) and play MP3s off my laptop.
Old 02-21-04, 07:45 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

I have tried the fm transmitter and it does not work well and the sound quality is poor when compared to a direct connection with the IPOD.

I have a 2004 Rx330 with Navigation and Mark Levinson and Rear Entertainment. There is a aux. jack in the back that you can hook up a playstation, vcr etc., to the Rear Ent. System. I can get the IPOD to play on the wireless headsets, but I cannot get my IPOD to play on the cabin speakers when using the aux. hookup. I figure I am doing something wrong.

If anyone has hooked up an IPOD on a Rx330 and knows how to make it play through the cabin speakers, I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-04, 01:47 PM
mikey00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Irock works great with the Ipod.
http://www.myirock.com/players/irock400fm.asp
Old 02-22-04, 04:02 PM
nyca
Driver School Candidate

this is becoming a glaring omission with almost all manufacturers, no external input to the head unit. Mercedes has it (on 2004s only), and most aftermarket headunits have it, but most OEM units do not. The cassette adapter is not a great option, and the FM transmitter is marginal. I wonder however if anyone has ever pulled this headunit and checked for a rear hookup?

Last edited by nyca; 02-22-04 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 06:09 PM
GS Doug
Driver

I've been doing some looking, and the Acura MDX and Chrysler Pacifica both have auxillary inputs that allow an iPod to play thru the main speakers. I believe that the Infiniti FX does also. I have a GS and my iPod sounds awful with a cassette adapter. I agree that all high-end car makers should include an easy-access auxillary input.
Old 02-22-04, 06:44 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx330 Ipod hookup

Thanks for all the replies. I am still hoping that I am missing something. Why would Lexus have an aux hook up if you cannot hear the output through the cabin speakers.

With all of the features that this car has, you would think you could hook up your own Ipod or other mp3 player, especially since the systems does not play mp3 files.

When anyone has it figured out, let us all know.

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-04, 07:35 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx330 Ipod Aux Hookup

Thanks for your info Derek. I guess my confusion can be attributed to the fact that I can listen to whatever is playing on the dvd from the rear entertainment system on the cabin speakers, not just the headphones, when someone is watching a dvd. I just assumed that if the dvd output could be heard on all of the cabin speakers, then the aux input must also. I did not know my choices would be limited.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-04, 12:00 PM
maddmax
Driver School Candidate

Default re: Ipod Hookup

Derek985 - if you get around to splicing into your RX300 I would really appreciate hearing how it works out and the steps you took. What I've been missing on my 300 is my XM satellite radio and although I have a Delphi hookup that I could use with the FM modulator, I'm concerned the sound won't be as good. I am hoping that your solution would probably work for the XM too. Thanks!
Old 02-24-04, 11:25 AM
HiTechRX
Driver School Candidate

Hi folks -

The RSES in the RX330 *will* play the auxiliary audio source through the main stereo system. You need to connect the iPod to the audio jacks in the rear cargo area, and then turn on the RSES. Select "Video" on the RSES (you'll be be able to hear the audio on the wireless headsets at this time, but you can turn the headsets off). Now, select the CD-input on the main stereo system, and hit the DISK button. It will switch modes to the "Aux" setting, and you'll hear the iPod through the stereo system (you may need to turn up the volume a bit higher).

I know, a lot of steps, but no wiring hacks or FM/cassette modulation - should sound great.

Regards,
- HiTechRX

Last edited by HiTechRX; 02-24-04 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-24-04, 06:17 PM
johnnieliu
Driver

Originally posted by HiTechRX
Hi folks -

The RSES in the RX330 *will* play the auxiliary audio source through the main stereo system. You need to connect the iPod to the audio jacks in the rear cargo area, and then turn on the RSES. Select "Video" on the RSES (you'll be be able to hear the audio on the wireless headsets at this time, but you can turn the headsets off). Now, select the CD-input on the main stereo system, and hit the DISK button. It will switch modes to the "Aux" setting, and you'll hear the iPod through the stereo system (you may need to turn up the volume a bit higher).

I know, a lot of steps, but no wiring hacks or FM/cassette modulation - should sound great.

Regards,
- HiTechRX
HiTechRX,

I spent about 30 minutes playing with the RSES. Here is what I found. With a DVD in the RSES, pressing the front stereo's "DISC" button will give you the "AUX" setting. When you push "SOURCE" on the RSES, the screen will show "Headphone" source as well as "Speaker sound: xxxxx" source. If you have a DVD in the RSES, the RSES screen will show "Speaker sound: DVD" when you depress "SOURCE". If there is NO DVD in the RSES, the "Speaker sound: xxxx" read out will show CDCH if you have the front stereo set to CD.

If you select "VIDEO" from the RSES, and push "DISC" on the front stereo, you will NOT get the "AUX" setting, like you get when you have a DVD playing on the RSES. What you get is the front CD player. The RSES screen will also show "Speaker sound: CDCH".

I hooked up an MP3 player as well as a camcorder to the "Input Terminal Adapter". Video shows fine on the screen on the RSES, and audio is find using the headphones, but no audio thru the "cabin" speakers.

JL
Old 02-25-04, 06:53 PM
Regrex
Driver School Candidate

Well I still cannot get my ipod to play through the cabin speakers, only through the headphones.
Old 02-25-04, 07:18 PM
nyca
Driver School Candidate

how sure is everyone that there is no input at the rear of the head unit? sometimes a special adapter cable has to be used with the harness to expose it.
Old 02-26-04, 07:25 AM
johnnieliu
Driver

Originally posted by nyca
how sure is everyone that there is no input at the rear of the head unit? sometimes a special adapter cable has to be used with the harness to expose it.
I was thinking about the same thing, and was browsing at some 04 Sienna forums looking for some ideas. I found these threads: http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...showtopic=2150 ; http://www.siennaclub.org/forum/inde...showtopic=2839 . Since these models share some of the same hardaware, if the Sienna folks come up with a mod, maybe we could use it. In the same line of thinking, I'll try browsing at some Highlander forums.

JL

Last edited by johnnieliu; 02-26-04 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-26-04, 07:35 PM
nyca
Driver School Candidate

good find. this is the right track to be on, one of these solutions is the way to go, but someone needs to get details of what the standard head unit (or even the Mark Levinson) model is and how its connectorized. or just wait until someone "officially" comes out with a supported configuration.

Quick Reply: Rx330 IPOD of Aux Hookup