RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rx330 brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 12:02 PM
vigad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rx330 brakes

Anyone have a problem with the brake pedal on an RX330 making a clicking noise when releasing the brake pedal quickly or side stepping from the brake to gas pedal ? I have to turn on the music to mask the noise - it is quite annoying.
Old 12-06-04, 11:49 PM
MLB
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 2005 RX330 BRAKES

PURCHASED A NEW 2005 THAT HAS THE SAME PROBLEM. I THOUGHT I WAS OVERLY CRITICAL - BUT THE NOISE PROBLEM EXISTS.

ANOTHER PROBLEM; WHEN YOU APPLY THE BRAKES THE FIRST TIME AND THEN LEAVE OFF THE BRAKES AND REAPPLY - BRAKE PEDAL BECOMES MORE FIRM AND STOPPING "SEEMS" SHORTER.

DEALER BLEW ME OFF ON BRAKE PROBLEM.
Old 12-07-04, 02:27 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Lightbulb Higher Court!

If your dealer simply "blows you off", it's time to take your problem to a higher court. Call Lexus' customer service at 1-800-255-3987, prompt #4; Monday – Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., PST.

Tell them about your problem - and the treatment you've received from your dealer. They are dead serious about customer satisfaction and will work with you to make it right. Some dealers are more responsive than others, and may require a little "encouragement" from the home office. The Lexus organization works hard to provide owners with "the Lexus experience" whether you drive a brand new vehicle or a "pre-owned" Lexus. If you're unhappy and can't get a problem resolved - or at least explained to your satisfaction, let the guys at corporate build a little fire under 'em.
Old 12-30-04, 09:44 PM
GSLEX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vigad
Anyone have a problem with the brake pedal on an RX330 making a clicking noise when releasing the brake pedal quickly or side stepping from the brake to gas pedal ? I have to turn on the music to mask the noise - it is quite annoying.
I noticed this sound from the brake pedal too. It really has a cheap sound quality. I was very suprised to hear it. I'm not sure it can be fixed. I will get under the dash and see what exactly is making that sound.
Old 12-31-04, 03:24 AM
cantsleepnk
Driver

Default Soft Brake Pedal

MLB
I have the same soft pedal problem you're talking about. At13K mile I took our RX330 to the dealer to fix the problem. The tech test drove it and confirmed the soft pedal. They kept the car for 4 days and replaced the ABS/VSC actuator.The pedal felt firm for about month and then it became soft again.A couple of months ago at the 15k mile service I complained again .Tech wrote that pedal felt OK.
Every RX loaner I've driven seem to have a nice firm brake pedal.
My car's brake pedal seems soft with a low activaton point.You have to press it hard to get any decent braking and you cant really slow down just a little bit cause the first few millimeters yield no braking. If you pump it once it becomes a lot better.
Next time I am at the dealer I will go with the service for a test drive.
Old 12-31-04, 07:01 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

1st issue noise:
Do a bit of detective work regarding the clicking noise. Assuming it is coming from inside the cabin, crawl below the brake pedal (yes head down and legs on the seat). Pull the pedal down and let up the pedal. There is typically a pin connecting the pedal arm to the rod of the master cyclinder. See if you can locate the source of noise.

2nd issue:
Pumping the brakes always helps and the travel of the pedal becomes less on subsequent pump action. [normal for hydraulic brakes]. Spongy brakes are altogether a different issue pointing to some problem in the brake system. [it can be as simple as bad or old (moisture) brake fluid].

Salim
[PS: my wife and family gets upset at my pump-brake action and insist that I should learn to do smooth braking. Old habits are hard to give-up ]
Old 12-31-04, 09:17 PM
macpl
Driver School Candidate

Default 05 RX330 Brakes

I also have noticed the brake issues mentioned here. The brake pedal is noisy when releasing quickly. I also thought I was being a bit picky about this. My larger concern is the seeminly mushy and unresponsive breaking that I have experienced. There have been a few times when I almost rearended someone at a stop light until I Jammed the break pedal as if I was in an emergency stop situation. The normal breaking pressure does not seem to stop the vehicle very well. I have not had my dealer look at it yet but, will bring it to their attention the next time I am there. I also have the window noise (weatherstripping warped upon window closing) issue. I also have random, intermittant dash noises/rattles.

I have had my 05 RX for just under 2 months and have been unpleasantly surprised at the lack of quality I had expected. I traded a honda pilot for this vehicle and am beginning to sense that I have actually taken a step back in quality. The last new vehicle I owned that demonstrated this many niggling problems within two months of purchase was a GM product and I vowed never to purchase anther GM as a result.
Old 12-31-04, 09:54 PM
Rx900
Lexus Test Driver

strange, after driving several loaner 330s (at a certain time when my GX had problems), i never experienced anything like that! don't tell me their quality has gone DOWN on the 05s!