RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models
View Poll Results: What are you paying for an RX 330 oil change?
$20-$30
27.62%
$31-$40
19.34%
$41-$50
11.05%
$51-$60
8.84%
$61+
29.83%
Free to $19
3.31%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Oil change cost on RX 330

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-05, 08:12 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flatfoot
Hello to all,

I don't have 5k miles on our 400h yet, but the 5k mile srvice on our SC430 was $48.00. This included castrol semi-synthetic oil, tire rotaion, and a loaner. They also will pick up at the house and drop off a loaner free if I give them a weeks notice.

The car is returned washed and vacuumed.

This seems like very reasonable pricing.

Flatfoot
From the guy who changes his own oil: I agree. That is an excellent value for what you get, especially the loaner and the delivery of the loaner.

BTW Our certified 2002 gets a free oil change at 3000 miles. Our 2000, when new, got a free oil change at 3000 miles. I think they do that so they can look it over and check to see if anything's wrong before the customer finds it. Our 2000 had a bad thermostat housing and was leaking coolant. I might not have noticed that. I had a loaner for a few days because they had to order the part.

That is part of how Lexus maintains their position on top of the reliability rankings. Their cars are not inherently more reliable than Toyotas, but their reliability ranking is higher? It's all in the customer's perception and Lexus goes out of their way to make sure that our perception of their reliability is good.

That's the biggest reason why an RX330 costs so many thousands more than a comparably equipped (and admittedly not as attractive) Highlander.
Old 07-08-05, 01:43 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uthorns197
Lextranny...can you please post where you buy the Toyota filters for $3.25. Thanks.
I get it from my local Toyota dealership.
Old 08-14-05, 05:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahamm
From the guy who changes his own oil: I agree. That is an excellent value for what you get, especially the loaner and the delivery of the loaner.

BTW Our certified 2002 gets a free oil change at 3000 miles. Our 2000, when new, got a free oil change at 3000 miles. I think they do that so they can look it over and check to see if anything's wrong before the customer finds it. Our 2000 had a bad thermostat housing and was leaking coolant. I might not have noticed that. I had a loaner for a few days because they had to order the part.

That is part of how Lexus maintains their position on top of the reliability rankings. Their cars are not inherently more reliable than Toyotas, but their reliability ranking is higher? It's all in the customer's perception and Lexus goes out of their way to make sure that our perception of their reliability is good.

That's the biggest reason why an RX330 costs so many thousands more than a comparably equipped (and admittedly not as attractive) Highlander.
true and false. Lexus and higher end Toyota's are built to stricter limits so they should be reliable more than an average "Toyota". Parts they put in them are tested more and have to comply to stricter agreements, have longer life and less failures. Even machining equipment has stricter tolerances, everything is "stricter" as you move up the price ladder.

On the other hand, lexus takes care of customer service so you end up having both quality and good service, which finally brings us to the top rankings in surveys.
Old 08-21-05, 02:34 PM
Domo-Kun
Rookie

Well, in regards to the oil change, you will aways pay more if you go to the Lexus dealer. Some folks are ok with this because, quite frankly they do not have the time or patience to deal with it.

The $90 or whatever you are paying at the dealer is paying for convenience or experience. Not everyone wants to be a grease money and screw around with their vehicle or they are technically challenged and will end up doing more harm than good to their vehicle.

However, if you wanted to do the oil change yourself, extremely easily and super fast.

OEM Toyota Filter - $5
5w30 Dino Oil 5 qts - $6-7
Rhino Ramps - $20 (One time cost since you will be using them again)
Oil Catch Pan - $6-8 (Reusable also)
Oil Filter Wrench 0 $6-10 (Reusabe)

So really it is only about $11-12 per oil change and your time. If the local Lexus dealer could do like an express lube for about $20-25 and have you out of the service dept in about 20-30 minutes, it would be worth it. Anything higher and they are selling you the "honor" of having a dealer do the service.
Old 11-19-05, 11:57 AM
mrfuni
Driver School Candidate

Default oil change

got free oil changes for life when I bot the car. Otherwise I'd do it myself. SYNTHETIC ONLY, and the satisfaction of knowing it was done right

Last edited by mrfuni; 11-19-05 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-02-05, 08:28 PM
vchiu
Driver School Candidate

Default Change the oil yourself

If you change the oil every 5k, it probably doesn't matter what oil you uses (synth or otherwise). You probably want to stick with the same brand though. You can get the OEM oil filter at a Toyota dealership or a case on eBay. OEM is a Toyota oil filter. You can get the drain plug washer at a Toyota dealer too. All the screws and bolts and the filter are accessible without jacking up the car. There's even a built in funnel so the oil doesn't get all over the place when you remove the oil filter (RX330).

I take my Maxima to the local garage for a $17 oil change only because I don't want to jack up the car and get underneath. They give me a generic oil filter and probably don't change the drain plug washer or hand torque the drain plug. You definitely don't want someone using an air wrench on your Lexus drain pan. Once in a while I take the Maxima to the dealer when they have a $20 special. Then I get a new OEM drain plug washer.

Vincent
Old 12-16-05, 03:48 PM
gsenthil
Pole Position

$27 for 6qt pack of Mobil 1 from Costco
$6 for Oil filter/gasket from Toyota
$11 for oil change labor from Toyota (30 min)

My Toyota dealership also gives a free wash and vacuum for oil changes!

And btw, I can get the nmain history from the dealership as well. Please use the Lexus dealership only for 30k services

And for those who say Lexus and Toyota are same- I would have to use the same analogy for man and monkey
Old 12-22-05, 04:06 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Did you really think the Latte, muffins, and cozy waiting room are free?

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Hi, my Lexus dealer tells me an RX 330 oil change is $58. Seems high to me given that the car takes 5.8 qts of what I assume is regular, not synthetic, oil. My other cars are in the $20-$30 range for an oil change. What are others paying for an oil change?

They are not.
Old 12-22-05, 04:09 AM
nopcbs
Driver

Default Better still, go buy Wal-Mart house brand full synthetic in 5 gt...

Originally Posted by mmahamm
I do it myself (RX 300)

Oil filter: $5.00 tops.
5 Qts Oil: $10.00 tops

...Satisfaction that I know it has been done correctly (i.e., the correct amount of the right oil, the right filter, tightened correctly, drain plug not stripped...)
...priceless.
...container, it's $10. Plus $4 for a filter.

- GRL
Old 12-22-05, 07:05 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Is Cheaper Better ???

Originally Posted by nopcbs
...container, it's $10. Plus $4 for a filter.

- GRL
Why not go really cheap, just get some recycled drain oil when u are a qt. low. Never change the filter & get a new vehicle every 30K, let someone else have the problems u will get with cheap oil & cheap filters.

Why do people think cheap when they have such a expensive piece of machinery. U didn't think "cheap" when u bought the vehicle did u??

Use good oil & a good filter and get the long life u expect from a Lexus.
Old 12-22-05, 03:32 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob99b5
Hi, my Lexus dealer tells me an RX 330 oil change is $58. Seems high to me given that the car takes 5.8 qts of what I assume is regular, not synthetic, oil. My other cars are in the $20-$30 range for an oil change. What are others paying for an oil change?
The reason you find $58 expensive is you are getting the price from Lexus and all the frills that come with the oil change, ie: granite waiting area, free coffee and doughnuts, hot receptionists that smile at you for no appearant reason... maybe thats not one of the benefits... or is it... but you get my just...

Try pricing the same service at Toyota and see the difference and if you don't want to take your Rx to Toyota, then just fork up the $58 like xfirechief says, after all you bought an expensive car now deal with the maintenance cost.

Just curious, is the fuel consumption also a concern... I once knew a Mercedes salesman that said when a customer came to him and asked the fuel consumption of a particular car, then chances are it was not a guaranteed sale...
Old 12-22-05, 03:37 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gsenthil
$11 for oil change labor from Toyota (30 min)

I hope this labour rate is wrong $11 for 30 minutes means $22/hour

You must mean flat rate oil change price - labour $11
Old 12-23-05, 07:58 AM
xfirechief
Lexus Test Driver

Default Old Saying

Originally Posted by Fern
The reason you find $58 expensive is you are getting the price from Lexus and all the frills that come with the oil change, ie: granite waiting area, free coffee and doughnuts, hot receptionists that smile at you for no appearant reason... maybe thats not one of the benefits... or is it... but you get my just...

Try pricing the same service at Toyota and see the difference and if you don't want to take your Rx to Toyota, then just fork up the $58 like xfirechief says, after all you bought an expensive car now deal with the maintenance cost.

Just curious, is the fuel consumption also a concern... I once knew a Mercedes salesman that said when a customer came to him and asked the fuel consumption of a particular car, then chances are it was not a guaranteed sale...
THE SAYING GOES, "If you need to know the MPG then you can't afford the car"
Old 12-23-05, 10:58 AM
gsenthil
Pole Position

I dont think it is an hourly rate. They charge me a flat fee of $9.85 for labor. Then few $ and cents for shop consumables. It is probably a 10-15min job for them
Old 12-24-05, 01:37 PM
vchiu
Driver School Candidate

Default Changing the oil.

Originally Posted by xfirechief
Why not go really cheap, just get some recycled drain oil when u are a qt. low. Never change the filter & get a new vehicle every 30K, let someone else have the problems u will get with cheap oil & cheap filters.

Why do people think cheap when they have such a expensive piece of machinery. U didn't think "cheap" when u bought the vehicle did u??

Use good oil & a good filter and get the long life u expect from a Lexus.

I don't think we're disagreeing about changing the oil and filter. I don't think it matters whether the oil is cheap or not as long as you're using the right grade and change it every 5k. I would insist on using at least the oem Toyota filter though. I think the complaint is about the labor charge to get it done. The new RX330 design makes it easy to do it yourself. But if you're not mechanically inclined, then take it to a Toyota dealership for the oil change. $58 for the base oil change at the Lexus dealership is not that bad. $189 for A service is nuts.

Quick Reply: Oil change cost on RX 330