RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Misfire only @ 65 to 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-20, 09:35 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Although my hunch is against bad ECU, but if you go with a different ECU, makes sure the seller provides you a Mater Key for the ECU that they are selling. Even better would be to get cylinders for all locks ..ignition, two front doors, rear hatch and the glove-box. If cylinders are not available, you can try to move the electronics to the old shell.

Salim
Old 02-25-20, 01:51 PM
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem solved. Air fuel sensors, (both) were Pretty good looking Chinese copies that had a toyota box but the dealer finally solved it, the mechanic said he changes these all day long and mine just don't look right. The guy at the auto parts store gave me a break on two REAL Denso Air/Fuel sensors, the dealer put in the downstream O2 sensor new plugs and a mass flow sensor. Now it runs like a swiss watch
Old 02-27-20, 04:26 PM
salimshah

Dont know what to trust and what not to trust.

Glad it worked out for you.

Salim
Old 02-27-20, 06:01 PM
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Dont know what to trust and what not to trust.

Glad it worked out for you.

Salim
Everything was very convincing except, the crimps were different and the name "Toyota" was acid etched instead of embossed and fairly light, kinda hard to see. Also the real Densos come with a tube of Anti-Seize, copper, the Chinese fakes just had a plastic cover in the threads with a little silver Anti-seize on the threads.
Old 02-27-20, 11:08 PM
salimshah

Your experience reinforces my belief. When it comes to sensors, only buy from Lexus dealers. The savings you get from purchasing elsewhere, may haunt you! The actual savings is DIY.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 03:27 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Your experience reinforces my belief. When it comes to sensors, only buy from Lexus dealers. The savings you get from purchasing elsewhere, may haunt you! The actual savings is DIY.

Salim
I am with you with sensors you replace a broken one with another broken one and think it can't be that can waste so much more time.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (02-28-20)
Old 02-28-20, 08:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 865 Likes on 693 Posts

+1 on all posts above! So many good posts on this thread as it happened to me too- dead giveaway was no anti-seize included that Denso uses.

Here is zoomed in on under my soldering microscope- my Fake Denso for comparison. They are getting better at cloning.

Showing Crimped fttings Tenaclubz noticed.

Old 02-28-20, 01:24 PM
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate

Salim
No that's not true, you won't get any copies or fakes from a major parts chain like Advance (where I got these), O'Reilly, NAPA. Those places get all their parts from the main Hub and distribution centers, the corporate purchasing gets the product. They don't get them from JoShmo in China. I got the ***** copies on Ebay
Old 02-28-20, 03:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 865 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by TenaClubz
No that's not true, you won't get any copies or fakes from a major parts chain like Advance (where I got these), O'Reilly, NAPA. Those places get all their parts from the main Hub and distribution centers, the corporate purchasing gets the product. They don't get them from JoShmo in China. I got the ***** copies on Ebay
Wow dude lol
I think the poster was just saying they need to be legit- I got mine from Oriellys.
Old 02-29-20, 09:36 AM
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Margate330
Wow dude lol
I think the poster was just saying they need to be legit- I got mine from Oriellys.
no there's no "Wow"; he implied the ONLY place you can get the real ones is a Lexus dealer. And of coarse that is simply not true. I got Real Denso's at Advance Auto Parts, a national chain. Just because someone says you can ONLY get something at a dealer that should guarantee you doesn't mean that's absolute gospel. I'm sure if I tried one of the $180 dollar sensors in Ebay they very well could be the real thing. I'm willing to bet if I ordered from Rock Auto they probably would have been Densos too. Can't just say this stuff with a broad brush.
Old 03-01-20, 07:23 PM
salimshah

Let me clarify ... The only place that you are guaranteed the correct part is from Lexus dealership matched to your vin. Even OEM parts vary based on vin.

That does not mean you can not get a working part from other sources.

Granted I end up paying more but I dont have worry if the sensor could be sub-par. That is just me. [**** about seals, gaskets and torque ... you will find many who unlike me dont do this and there are plenty to repaired vehicles on the road ... I am proving myself wrong].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-02-20 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Strike trough only
Old 03-01-20, 07:38 PM
TenaClubz
Driver School Candidate

Let me clarify ... The only place that you are guaranteed the correct part is from Lexus dealership matched to your vin. Even OEM parts vary based on vin.
Again, this is not true, you can go right to Denso (the real manufacture along with NGK of the sensors) and give them your "VIN number" and get the correct sensor. You can go to a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN number and get the correct sensor. You can go to a major Auto parts store and give them your VIN Number and get the correct sensor (And I did this for this job). Parts lookup systems are all inter-matched now, this isn't the 1960's. Everyone has the same parts queue. I had the correct part number for my sensor in Toyotas part number and Denso part number. To say that "ONLY" Lexus has and will give you the correct part number is simply either foolish, uninformed, or somebody trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
Old 03-02-20, 12:21 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by TenaClubz
Again, this is not true, you can go right to Denso (the real manufacture along with NGK of the sensors) and give them your "VIN number" and get the correct sensor. You can go to a Toyota dealer and give them your VIN number and get the correct sensor. You can go to a major Auto parts store and give them your VIN Number and get the correct sensor (And I did this for this job). Parts lookup systems are all inter-matched now, this isn't the 1960's. Everyone has the same parts queue. I had the correct part number for my sensor in Toyotas part number and Denso part number. To say that "ONLY" Lexus has and will give you the correct part number is simply either foolish, uninformed, or somebody trying to pull the wool over your eyes.
Lets remain civil as we disagree or keep misunderstanding. Forum decorum requires we give each other opportunity to explain their point of view.

Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I have corrected my post to remove ambiguity [my intent was that you will not get a fake product from Lexus dealership].

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 03-02-20 at 12:26 AM.