RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

New RX300 owner - misfire problem diagnoses

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-19, 05:01 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by MidniteGX
Well, moving on. Was hoping for a bit of support from the collective but have a few other resources to draw from. Hopefully, this thread will provide some help to the next RX owner experiencing similar issues.

We have decided to remove the front head and are well into the work. Taking some pics for re-assembly. We have access to the FSM as well,
Once the head is off, we’ll have a good idea on how to proceed.

Before taking the head bolts out, please inspect the valve springs on that problem cylinder.
ZERO compression is more than likely a broken or stuck open valve.
Once you get the camshafts out, take the valve buckets off with shims on it. ( keep them in order )
You might find in line with a broken spring, bent valve, worn out keepers or just a broken valve.
I'm hoping for a broken spring or a broken keeper since its easier to replace w/ out taking the head off.

Good luck
Old 06-02-19, 11:46 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Before taking the head bolts out, please inspect the valve springs on that problem cylinder.
ZERO compression is more than likely a broken or stuck open valve.
Once you get the camshafts out, take the valve buckets off with shims on it. ( keep them in order )
You might find in line with a broken spring, bent valve, worn out keepers or just a broken valve.
I'm hoping for a broken spring or a broken keeper since its easier to replace w/ out taking the head off.

Good luck
Thanks, that's appreciated.
For sure, I will be sure to do inspections before removing the head bolts. Anything I can do without taking off the head would be preferable, along with keeping those buckets and shims in order.
Do these engines ever require a valve clearance inspection? I have to do my motorcycle every 20,000 kms.
Old 06-03-19, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

There is a spec for valve clearance.

I have not come across any suggestion to check it at the prescribed service intervals. Leading me to believe, that you let them be till the cam is removed.

Salim
Old 06-03-19, 01:06 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Cams have been removed as per the FSM,
safely stored with caps in order. They are factory stamped with numbers.
bearings look good.
The valve “buckets” lifted out easily with a magnet. Also, stored in order.

Visual inspection reveals nothing obvious.
Old 06-03-19, 01:15 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

If the head has to come off, the most difficult part appears to be the exhaust manifold. Wondering if the two bolts connecting the manifold to the pipe might be the best option.
They will probably have to be replaced, I think.
Old 06-03-19, 03:37 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Well. Can you spot the problem?

Old 06-03-19, 03:37 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

After taking out the 8 head bolts.
Dont use an impact first.
Crack them loose with a breaker bar or ratchet, then put a gun on it.

Dont forget there's an 8mm hex bolt located close to the front of the head.
Old 06-03-19, 03:48 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Well. Can you spot the problem?

Dang, dont you take beer breaks? lol
At least its not a burnt piston.

I think you know where to go from here.
Great work.
Old 06-03-19, 04:51 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Lol, I wish I could’ve gone quicker. Once I’m done I might get cold beer for a month or longer from my son!
Looking forward to that.

So, the plan:
Aquire spring compression tool and remove burnt valve. Expect to see valve seat damaged, but if not, replace valve.
Thinking I may replace everything else in the hole, too. Have to check for lash. Could’ve been a manufacturing defect but the damage may have affected the rest of the valve parts.
The other valves look good, though, and no big compression issues.

Might get get a new valve from Toyota, not sure yet.

Then, new gaskets, maybe head bolts. May do the knock sensors or harness or both. No codes for those have appeared but there they are, easy to service.
Old 06-03-19, 04:56 PM
salimshah

Good going.

I would examine the head of the piston and side of cylinder. My experience is limited, but the burn of would be on the exhaust side. The only burn off I can think of on the intake is a pinhole to start and the owner just kept on driving.

Salim
Old 06-03-19, 06:05 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, I wish I could’ve gone quicker. Once I’m done I might get cold beer for a month or longer from my son!
Looking forward to that.

So, the plan:
Aquire spring compression tool and remove burnt valve. Expect to see valve seat damaged, but if not, replace valve.
Thinking I may replace everything else in the hole, too. Have to check for lash. Could’ve been a manufacturing defect but the damage may have affected the rest of the valve parts.
The other valves look good, though, and no big compression issues.

Might get get a new valve from Toyota, not sure yet.

Then, new gaskets, maybe head bolts. May do the knock sensors or harness or both. No codes for those have appeared but there they are, easy to service.

Skip the head bolts, you can still re-use them.
I know you never mentioned it overheating but slap a straight edge on it just in case.
Intake and exhaust seals on all cylinder of course. <-- a tool for this will save you time and grief.
https://www.tooltopia.com/schley-923...yABEgL4jvD_BwE

Ive always have good luck using this keeper tool:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-04-19, 05:03 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

So, the saga continues:

Have cleaned up the garage/shop from all the disassembly rigmarole. Set up a bench for working on parts, ie. cylinder head/valves.
Found that I could not rent the proper valve spring compressor so went to Princess Auto and voila.
Watched a few videos on YT last night which were enlightening - especially the series called "Cylinder head 101" which continues through 109. This is a machinist showing his techniques for cleaning valves, lapping, dye and so on. I think I'll attempt to be a lapper for this project.
Also, got quotes from Toyota for parts. They want $50 for an exhaust valve. Better price than the $62 quoted from the local Lexus dealer. That's almost a six pack of beer.
Also, did a mock order on RockAuto for jobber parts. After the dust settles, I may order some Toyota and some aftermarket, ie NTN timing belt tensioner is also available on Amazon for a bit cheaper, as well.
But, for parts like the valve, oil seals and the like, I think I'll feel a bit more comfortable using the genuine Toyota parts.
Springs and head bolts are within spec according to the FSM and my vernier caliper.

The plan for today is to clean off those valves, clean the carbon off the combustion chamber, inspect and prepare for lapping. Also, going to throw a straight edge on the head and check clearance.
I'd like to find some decent cleaning solvent to use on this head - any recommendations?
Gunk makes a spray that looks decent.
Old 06-04-19, 05:36 PM
salimshah

I thought it was the intake valve that is broken. Could be the angle of the camera.

Salim
Old 06-04-19, 06:30 PM
MidniteGX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
I thought it was the intake valve that is broken. Could be the angle of the camera.

Salim
Indeed, it was.

After cleaning them, you can see the pitting on the intake valves from the exhaust valve metal. I have to take a closer look at the cylinder wall. Hope it’s okay.

Old 06-04-19, 06:51 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

That looks like a broken exhaust valve to me.
Intake valves are often larger than exhaust valves.

I hear you on that six pack. 😂

Quick Reply: New RX300 owner - misfire problem diagnoses