RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Vsv near fuel rail ticking

Old 02-10-19, 10:02 AM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vsv near fuel rail ticking

Hello again, finished up the valve seals,timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, old hoses, plugs, coils, on my 2001 rx300. Really thinking pulling the head may have been the way to go. That rear bank is so close to the fire wall I had to make a tool to compress the rear springs. Live and learn.
Ok, the Rx started back up after reassembly, happily cause I am a Clublexus/youtube backyard mechanic and I never did valve seals before.
Right on top, middle of the motor next to the fuel rails is what I believe to be the Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid(rock auto). Its a foot long unit that has metal tubes and 3 small valves that have wires and rubber hoses running to them. Standing in front of the car the valve that is on the left side is ticking very loudly. You can feel it when touched. When the throttle is given it goes away but will return when the engine starts to idle. I wish I could take a picture but that hasn't worked for me in the past.
Anyone have an idea what part I am talking about and how to get it to stop ticking. Does ticking mean it needs to be replaced or cleaned or should I be looking for a vacuum leak?
Again thank you for all you have helped with in the past.

Old 02-10-19, 01:12 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Purge valve will almost run the whole time while the engine is running.
If you have no codes, i wouldnt worry about it.
Nays job on the valve seals.
I've been putting mine off since forever. lol
Old 02-11-19, 07:40 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robinsryde
Hello again, finished up the valve seals,timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, old hoses, plugs, coils, on my 2001 rx300. Really thinking pulling the head may have been the way to go. That rear bank is so close to the fire wall I had to make a tool to compress the rear springs. Live and learn.
Ok, the Rx started back up after reassembly, happily cause I am a Clublexus/youtube backyard mechanic and I never did valve seals before.
Right on top, middle of the motor next to the fuel rails is what I believe to be the Emission Control Canister Purge Solenoid(rock auto). Its a foot long unit that has metal tubes and 3 small valves that have wires and rubber hoses running to them. Standing in front of the car the valve that is on the left side is ticking very loudly. You can feel it when touched. When the throttle is given it goes away but will return when the engine starts to idle. I wish I could take a picture but that hasn't worked for me in the past.
Anyone have an idea what part I am talking about and how to get it to stop ticking. Does ticking mean it needs to be replaced or cleaned or should I be looking for a vacuum leak?
Again thank you for all you have helped with in the past.

my car does that same thing, are you sure its not a fuel injector noise? thats what I thought it was. I even posted a video about it. That was awhile ago though and I havent had any major problems.
Old 02-21-19, 04:31 PM
Robinsryde
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Androman
my car does that same thing, are you sure its not a fuel injector noise? thats what I thought it was. I even posted a video about it. That was awhile ago though and I havent had any major problems.
Ok so this sound just stopped. Right now I am writing that down as fixed and moving on to the door locks. Thank you for your thoughts
The following users liked this post:
Androman (02-22-19)