RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Front Right CV Axle

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 06:50 PM
G1RX300B
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Right CV Axle

Hello everyone. Love the forum. Oklahoma based long time reader, first time poster.

Will make this post sweet and simply.

Just this past weekend I changed out the sway bar links on the wife's 2000 rx300 AWD with 243K...only to find a cracked CV axle boot on the front passenger (right) side. What parts vendors (other than Lexus/Toyota) might anyone recommend, had good success with, recommended videos I might watch before tearing into it?

We do plan on keeping the vehicle. Any and all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the assistance.

The following users liked this post:
SilverRX30 (01-18-19)
Old 01-16-19, 07:32 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

I dont know any good aftermarket boot kits. Im sure there are good ones out there.
Some even zip kits so you dont have to take the axles out.
Just dont know how they hold up.

Personally, id use OEM boots. It cost more but you know they will last.
If the boot lasted you 200k+, a replacement OEM would fair well since you mentioned keeping the vehicle for a while.
Only draw back is, its messy, a lot of 4 letter words will fly while working.
Not sure how mechanically inclined you are but it would be a challenge if you havent done one. No offense.
Semi special tool needed as well.
Snap ring pliers. CV boot compression pliers.
Have you ask a shop how much they would charge?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...r-cv-boot.html
Old 01-16-19, 08:01 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I replaced the boot on RX and in a year had to do the other side. I think I posted a DIY.

If you want 50k + miles (estimate) then just by the shafts. If you want another 150K miles, buy the kits. Just dont stretch the cv joint [I had a heck of time collecting the ball rollers and assembling the joint ... incorrectly first and then the right way. Having a vise was a great help].

Salim
Old 01-17-19, 12:01 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Just replace the axle. Axles are cheap and aftermarket boots are not serving long. Also, if you go with a split boot, that is quite an adventure to put on. Now, I think, the right side is the long one, right? That's pain to replace.
Someone makes boots that stretch over the CV joint and then snap in place. At least use that one, if axle replacement is not an option. I can't remeber, where I posted video to that boot...

here ya go

https://www.stretchcvboot.com/cv-boots/
Old 01-17-19, 12:35 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know why anyone would attempt to rebuild or reboot a CV shaft. After the refund of your core deposit the axles only cost $60-70 each from RockAuto.
Old 01-17-19, 03:00 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by JAB
I don't know why anyone would attempt to rebuild or reboot a CV shaft. After the refund of your core deposit the axles only cost $60-70 each from RockAuto.
Everyone has their reasons. I tend to answer the question that is asked as well as give alternatives.

I rebuilt mine as I was bent on keeping my Lexus OEM, down to clips and screws. And I enjoy doing the work .. as well as suffer the consequences.

Salim
Old 01-17-19, 05:57 PM
G1RX300B
Driver School Candidate

Whoa!! My bad!! I didn't even consider anyone would think I simply wanted to replace the boot. After nearly a quarter of a million miles?!? I would expect to replace the entire axlet.

My inquiry was more towards what vendors, name brands might be recommended? I see various names on RockAuto and 1A Auto. Who trusts what? Who swears by what? That's what I was inquiring about.

I called the local Lexus dealer just today and was quoted $1200+ dollars for the part. Yea...Nope! Not happening. Additionally, is an AWD axle different from the FWD?

As to "mechanically inclined," I'll let you tell me if you think I can do it. I currently do or have done:
* Brakes * Strut inserts * Multiple alternators * Multiple starters * A harmonic balancer * At least two tuneups on this Lexus (and we all know what a pain it is getting to the rear spark plugs). I even spent an entire Saturday replacing a rack and pinion on a Toyota Camry. I'm not as handy as some of you, but I'm definitely trying to get there.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-17-19, 06:00 PM
G1RX300B
Driver School Candidate

Corr: I would expect to replace the entire axle.
Old 01-17-19, 06:57 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by G1RX300B
Whoa!! My bad!! I didn't even consider anyone would think I simply wanted to replace the boot. After nearly a quarter of a million miles?!? I would expect to replace the entire axlet.

My inquiry was more towards what vendors, name brands might be recommended? I see various names on RockAuto and 1A Auto. Who trusts what? Who swears by what? That's what I was inquiring about.

I called the local Lexus dealer just today and was quoted $1200+ dollars for the part. Yea...Nope! Not happening. Additionally, is an AWD axle different from the FWD?

As to "mechanically inclined," I'll let you tell me if you think I can do it. I currently do or have done:
* Brakes * Strut inserts * Multiple alternators * Multiple starters * A harmonic balancer * At least two tuneups on this Lexus (and we all know what a pain it is getting to the rear spark plugs). I even spent an entire Saturday replacing a rack and pinion on a Toyota Camry. I'm not as handy as some of you, but I'm definitely trying to get there.

Thanks everyone.
PS rack on your back?
Nuff said. Lol
Poppin a new axle then would be cake.
Dont forget to take the 10mm bolt out for the abs wire bracket so it doesnt get stretched out while pulling out the axle shaft.
AWD and FWD axles are different.