ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003-182/)
-   -   To buy or not to buy.... (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/901542-to-buy-or-not-to-buy.html)

HouseOfToy 10-08-18 09:41 AM

To buy or not to buy....

There's a local Lexus RX300 AWD from 2001 for sale (private party). I drove it and I loved it. It currently has 167,000 miles on it. Cosmetic condition is wonderful. The guy was asking $4,000, and I got him to come down to $3500 but that's as far as he'll go. It definitely needs new tires, at least before the snow flies in a couple of months.

He mentioned that he replaced the transmission 2 years ago. That concerns me. What caused it to go in the first place? Is this one going to go too? I'm reading that the first gen Lexus RX is notorious for having bad transmissions.

I'm quite worried that if I get into this vehicle that about a year or two down the road, the transmission is going to go bad. Other concern, I own a 2002 Toyota Solara and I absolutely hate the oil filter location. I was horrified to see that the Lexus has the same design but an even tighter space, and me being a bigger guy with larger arms will probably struggle trying to get out and put back in the fat filter that goes on the vehicle. Those are about the only things saving me from buying it at this point. I can almost buy it in cash but I will likely get a loan for it just so I still have money floating around.

as a second choice, I did go to a dealership that was offering a more than fair price on a 2007 Lexus GS 350 AWD with 88,000 miles on it. Now, white is definitely not my color but this car drove really smoothly and he's only asking $9,000 for it. I don't necessarily want to get into a loan of more than $6,000 (I can afford it no problem but that's my comfort level because I don't like to have my car payment be more than 10% of my monthly income).

(as a distant third choice, just to muddy the waters a little more, there's also a 2006 RX300 AWD hybrid with 140,000 miles, $8,000. I feel like they're asking too much for it though.)

What's a guy to do here? Thanks!

trhs75 10-08-18 10:05 AM

Hi! I had thought the price might be a little high for the age, but KBB lists a range from $2849-4804 for "very good" condition here in your neighbor state to the east. I would not hesitate to buy another RX300. We have two. It might be good to check whether the tranny was replaced with a rebuilt one or a remanufactured one, which I understand is better from what I've read on here. Also see about oil consumption. One of mine had more of an issue with that than the other one.

ukrkoz 10-08-18 11:29 AM

Buy hybrid. less miles, MUCH better mpg if you figure how to drive it right. Yes, it's a bit pricey. It's just too many miles on your option one, for quite outdated vehicle.

HouseOfToy 10-08-18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by ukrkoz (Post 10327439)
Buy hybrid. less miles, MUCH better mpg if you figure how to drive it right. Yes, it's a bit pricey. It's just too many miles on your option one, for quite outdated vehicle.

I hear you on the mpg, I really enjoyed the Prius I had from 2009 to 2015. And I adapted to the hybrid system real quickly and learned how to drive and coast with regenerative braking. One of my best accomplishments with the Prius was a somewhat short 100-mile round-trip that I averaged 63.1 MPG on.

My wife just bought a 2018 Rav 4 Limited Hybrid off the showroom floor and I'm insanely jealous. It's a beautiful vehicle and she gets 33 to the gallon. I'm assuming that 2006 Lexus will be similar.

But to be honest it's only 5 years newer and 20,000 Miles younger, for a little over twice as much. I would like to think that if I could get it somewhere in the 7's I'd go for it but it's already at $8300. Hmm.

Does anybody have an opinion on the GS350 AWD?

Bill Dowd 10-08-18 08:23 PM

Since he changed the tranny which are known for going out at around 150k when they rebuild it they use better parts. if you buy the 2001 AWD go to a trans shop and have them drop the pan and replace the filter.
Then go to Pep boys or some auto store and buy 2 gallons of MAX LIFE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. I bought a 2001 RX 300 2 wheel drive and had to replace the trans 2 years after buying at 150,000 miles.
Also find what kind or fluid is in the transfer case and rear end and go synthetic for the cold weather. I also recommend using Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil 5W30 I changed my at 130,000 miles and it works fine.
Also if you are a DIY guy get 2 quarts of Max Life and change out the power steering with them use about 1 1/2 quarts to make sure all the fluid is clean.
The motors and rest of the SUV should last at least 300,000 miles I have seen 490,000 and many 300,000 miles on the RX 300. Using synthetic oil in everything will help it last.
Change your tranny fluid and power steering at 30,000 miles and your RX 300 will last many years.
When you do the trans fluid change wait about 2-3 weeks and ask the shop to do a drop and fill for your tranny that is the reason for 2 gallons of fluid it takes 4 quarts to change the fluid
The reason I am suggesting the fluid change spent 40years hanging out at a transmission shop.

HouseOfToy 10-09-18 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd (Post 10328304)
Since he changed the tranny which are known for going out at around 150k when they rebuild it they use better parts. if you buy the 2001 AWD go to a trans shop and have them drop the pan and replace the filter.
Then go to Pep boys or some auto store and buy 2 gallons of MAX LIFE SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION FLUID. I bought a 2001 RX 300 2 wheel drive and had to replace the trans 2 years after buying at 150,000 miles.
Also find what kind or fluid is in the transfer case and rear end and go synthetic for the cold weather. I also recommend using Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil 5W30 I changed my at 130,000 miles and it works fine.
Also if you are a DIY guy get 2 quarts of Max Life and change out the power steering with them use about 1 1/2 quarts to make sure all the fluid is clean.
The motors and rest of the SUV should last at least 300,000 miles I have seen 490,000 and many 300,000 miles on the RX 300. Using synthetic oil in everything will help it last.
Change your tranny fluid and power steering at 30,000 miles and your RX 300 will last many years.
When you do the trans fluid change wait about 2-3 weeks and ask the shop to do a drop and fill for your tranny that is the reason for 2 gallons of fluid it takes 4 quarts to change the fluid
The reason I am suggesting the fluid change spent 40years hanging out at a transmission shop.

You did all that maintenance and still had to replace the transmission after 2 years?

Bill Dowd 10-09-18 08:02 AM

The trans was already making noise when I bought it. I ran a 1986, Toyota Cressida 529,000 ran all synthetic oils and everything was original working perfect.
I also ran a 1991 Lexus 400 to 395,000 and it is still on the road same tranny rear end power steering & motor again all synthetic oils I sold it a couple years ago
I was on the road as a salesman driving tons of miles here in CA the taxis average over 500,000 miles they are maintained every 5-10K miles.
The RX300 can hit 300,000 and more if you just maintain them they are bullet proof I ran into a lady at a Lexus Dealer with 498.000 miles all original nothing wore out.

HouseOfToy 10-09-18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd (Post 10328574)
The trans was already making noise when I bought it. I ran a 1986, Toyota Cressida 529,000 ran all synthetic oils and everything was original working perfect.
I also ran a 1991 Lexus 400 to 395,000 and it is still on the road same tranny rear end power steering & motor again all synthetic oils I sold it a couple years ago
I was on the road as a salesman driving tons of miles here in CA the taxis average over 500,000 miles they are maintained every 5-10K miles.
The RX300 can hit 300,000 and more if you just maintain them they are bullet proof I ran into a lady at a Lexus Dealer with 498.000 miles all original nothing wore out.

So basically a quick transmission pan drop and new tires and I should be good to go with just regular transmission and oil maintenance? and in your opinion it should last me what a typical Toyota would last me (300k)?

To be honest I've been looking at different cars, and today I drove a GS300 all-wheel drive from 2007 with 98000 miles for only $6,300. I love the ride of the RX way better than the GS, but ultimately reliability is King.

salimshah 10-09-18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by HouseOfToy (Post 10329110)
So basically a quick transmission pan drop and new tires and I should be good to go with just regular transmission and oil maintenance? and in your opinion it should last me what a typical Toyota would last me (300k)?

To be honest I've been looking at different cars, and today I drove a GS300 all-wheel drive from 2007 with 98000 miles for only $6,300. I love the ride of the RX way better than the GS, but ultimately reliability is King.

IMHO comparing a sedan with SUV is not a fair comparison.
If both fit the need you have, I would say a GS3 would be a better choice. [individual vehicles can make a difference, but here I am generalizing based on yr and model].
My first gen RX had minimal transmission maintenance and never gave me trouble [1/4million miles +]. Other reported issues with high milage RX is oil consumption at high speeds. Mine never consumed oil. Also check the Lower control arm.

Salim

Bill Dowd 10-09-18 07:09 PM

Salim hit the nail on the head the GS300 is a great car built the same way as the Lexus LS400 great quality and both the RX300 and GS300 taken care of will go way over 300k.
I never knew the GS came in a 4 wheel drive if you buy it do the same thing as I said above all synthetic oil in everything and yes drop the tranny pan and follow the same as the RX 300 info I left above.
Good luck on what you buy.

Audiqv8 10-10-18 08:13 AM

If you're still looking at other cars, then take a pass on the 2001 RX300. Keep looking until you find the one "Got to have".

HouseOfToy 10-10-18 10:22 AM

Yep I'm still on the fence. Have not decided on one yet.

Another (somewhat unrelated) dog in the fight now is a 2011 CR-V EX with 44k, only $8900. Has a small dent from hail on the roof and needs a new battery, but otherwise good. No leather, but can't beat the price. What's your opinions on a CRV? Never owned one before.

All three of these cars are good values in their own right - I just have to narrow down what I'm looking for and see if I want to roll the dice with my luck on that 2001 RX. Does anyone else feel crowded in the GS300? I kind of feel like I'm sitting in a bathtub and it's kind of cramped with minimal headroom.

hypervish 10-10-18 11:03 AM

Actually the 2006 GS300 is definitely not more reliable than an RX300, that particular year GS and engine is known for significant carbon build-up issues. 2007 GS was a GS350 which is far more reliable, and only suffers from oil consumption issues.

Also, I'll add that my first gen RX is still on the original transmission at 257k miles. Ableit I did drain and fills on the transmission every 15k miles until about 240k miles, I haven't touched the transmission since then though.

HouseOfToy 10-10-18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by hypervish (Post 10329728)
Actually the 2006 GS300 is definitely not more reliable than an RX300, that particular year GS and engine is known for significant carbon build-up issues. 2007 GS was a GS350 which is far more reliable, and only suffers from oil consumption issues.

Also, I'll add that my first gen RX is still on the original transmission at 257k miles. Ableit I did drain and fills on the transmission every 15k miles until about 240k miles, I haven't touched the transmission since then though.

Thank you for that information. So I may just rule out that GS300. I called around today and asked if a transmission went out on an RX300 how much it would cost to replace and I got quotes between $3,500 and $4,500.

So tell me are the later 2nd gen RX is more reliable? Say a 2005 through 2007?

sktn77a 10-10-18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by HouseOfToy (Post 10329684)
Another (somewhat unrelated) dog in the fight now is a 2011 CR-V EX with 44k, only $8900. Has a small dent from hail on the roof and needs a new battery, but otherwise good. No leather, but can't beat the price. What's your opinions on a CRV? Never owned one before.

If the CRV is AWD and within your budget, I'd definitely go that direction. The RX is a nice car but it's 16-17 years old, while the CRV is 10 years younger. Don't fret over leather - all Toyota/Lexus leather creases and cracks and looks pretty bad in a car of that age. The CRV has a lower towing capacity in theory but, trust me, you DON'T want to go towing the rated 3000lbs with the RX300!