RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Water Discovered in Right Rear Well under Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 01:27 PM
lexrally
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Discovered in Right Rear Well under Antenna

Whenevr it rains alot, water builds up in the right well under the antenna assembly. The hoses look good, there
are 2, one smaller black one for draining the antenna housing, where water might leak inside the antenna unit
thru the mast if it rains, and another larger clear hose coming from the roof somewhere, but do not know where
it originates from. This is the place where water is appearing, and if it grows larger enough, it splashes
into the wheel well, and sometimes even to the other side well under the gas cap.

Where could this water possibly be coming from?
Old 09-19-18, 10:02 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

The other tube is moonroof drain. It is draining OUTSIDE, right? Is it wet to touch on tube outside? It may be clogged and water is overflowing on the tube outside surface.
Otherwise, you have one of the glass seals leaking. The only way I know how to check is to shut doors/windows closed, turn hvac full blast inside to create positive pressure and spray soapy water onto the seals. Where it bubbles.....
Old 09-19-18, 02:50 PM
lexrally
Rookie

looks to be a gap in the moonroof seal

the narrow black rails along the outermost perimeter of the moon roof is where water flows into the drain holes. I took a cup of water and poured it in nearest the corner I wanted to test

The right rear was clogged, water started coming out from underneath the chassis (this was taken after I fixed the drain, hence you also see water from the drain too where it supposed to exit)

The straw duct tapped to the drain. Kudos to one of the forum members who came up with this idea! It doesnt require alot of air, I noticed some small resistance at first, then I must have pushed out all of the gunk.

water is free flowing now. Thanks to my little helper for confirming it was fixed
Ahh so it is the moonroof drain, dangit. I tested by ouring water into the small grooves on the sides with the moonroof open. The 2 front drains, and the
rear left drain were working. The right rear drain was not. Some water was actually leaking from underneath the chassis in front of the right rear wheel.
This was probably building up in my carpet area, as well as the wells inside the cargo area.

So I read thru some of these forums and saw someone used a straw to clear the drain. So I attached a straw to the rear drain tube, and used that to blow air
(from the bottom out thru the top) and got any s!@# in there blocking the passgeway. Poured water again into the black groove nearest the right rear corner
of the moonroof, and vouilla, she's a working again :-)
Old 09-19-18, 04:48 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Good. Problem is, it's fall and getting colder. Drying out the damage will be arduous task, or it will develop mold. I'd rent one of them fans they use to dry out water damage in buildings, it's about large suitcase size with flat exhaust, and set it inside the vehicle for a day or two.
Old 09-19-18, 05:36 PM
lexrally
Rookie

Ok will have to do that too. Thanks for the advice
Old 09-20-18, 10:11 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Yeahhh.. sorry... carpeting and sound insulation, when it gets wet, becomes nursery for mold. Mid summer, it's different. You simply pull it all out in the morning and let it grill in the direct sun for a day.. UV also kills everything. But this time.. Unless youa re in FL and it's still 90 day long.
Old 09-21-18, 06:34 AM
lexrally
Rookie

Definitely needs a cleanup after something like this. Got the inside dried up, now Im gonna
get some lysol and vacumm it up and wipe it down. Im allergic to mold so it will be worth it.

Checking the sunroof drains should be part of annual maintenance after a car has 100K on it.
It is easy to check (now that I know how of course). And easy to repair.

I had some old cars in the past with sunroofs that must have been leaking cause
they smelled inside of the moldy water and you could tell it was damp in there after
it rained. I betcha that could have been prevented if the drains were checked and cleared.
Old 09-21-18, 11:14 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Musky smell also often comes from rotten AC exchanger fins. Mold builds up on condensate left there after engine shut down. Also, MANY cars leak into trunks with pooling water, smelling like old potatoes. I forgot how many times I simply drilled drain holes in trunk bottoms.
Old 04-19-19, 10:53 PM
vscalais
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also use a portable dehumidifier. It will take the water out of the carpet. Just stand it up in the rear of the car and let it run overnight.