RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Sunroof Drains

Old 09-03-18, 03:58 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Sunroof Drains

Just a heads up for everyone, CHECK YOUR SUNROOF DRAINS! Our RX300 is primarily driven by my grandparents. They've been out of town for about 2 months and we've been getting some pretty bad storms here in Tampa Bay, FL. I checked on their car a couple weeks after they left and there was tons on water pooled in the driver's front foot well and the rear on the driver's side. Also began to notice some mold starting to grow in the rear on the door panels. So I have an assumption that the drains have been leaking for a little longer than 2 weeks. So got that all cleaned up/dried up/sanitized, and cleared the front sunroof drains. Drove the car for about a month and during that time, all was well. Decided it was good to drop it off at their house and left it for another 2 weeks. Went today to check on the house, and BOOM, more water, but only this time it was in the driver's rear only. But there was A LOT. Turns out I didn't clear the driver's rear drain and it backed up, drained down the B and C-pillar, and pooled under the carpet.

So I took the car back to my house again and have begun cleaning up this mess. I made sure to clean out the rear drains and double check that ALL the drains were cleared and draining properly. The problem I'm now running into now is the jute pad under the carpet is soaked. I pulled the body plugs on the driver's side in hopes that will help. I've got a Damp Rid container in the car (did this last time too and it helped), and I'm trying to soak the water up with towels. Short of removing the rear seats (which I really don't want to do), does anyone else have any recommendations?
Old 09-04-18, 03:08 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Another good spot to clean is above the rear hatch and of course corners under hood.
Old 09-04-18, 06:06 PM
goomz
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks. I had this issue as well, only my sunroof doesnt move at all. I hear a motor wining when i try to open it, but nothing. Anyway i removed the drain tube on both driver and pass kick panels and blew it out with a compressor. Saw gunk fly from the sunroof area. Also checked the 2 in the trunk in the quarter panels. Fine ever since but try a real good wet vac or have a detailer with a good vac get that water out.
The following users liked this post:
southpark (10-18-19)
Old 09-04-18, 06:55 PM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I ended up taking out the rear seats this evening. Jute pad was SOAKED. Peeled that off the back of the carpet and letting it air out now. Going to Home Depot tomorrow to by some more jute padding and also going to air it out with a fan tomorrow. After that it should be back to normal! What a pain though.
Old 09-06-18, 02:48 AM
Australian
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 99rx
I ended up taking out the rear seats this evening. Jute pad was SOAKED. Peeled that off the back of the carpet and letting it air out now. Going to Home Depot tomorrow to by some more jute padding and also going to air it out with a fan tomorrow. After that it should be back to normal! What a pain though.
I had same problem when first bought my car it was smellying of mould till cleaned the drains.