RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Transmission shifts funny

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 07:04 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission shifts funny

My transmission shifts kinda weird from first to second sometimes. If I accelerate slowly, the car goes, the rpms rise up like normal, then right before it shifts, Its almost like it goes into neutral for 1-2 seconds then finally shifts firmly at the end, almost too firmly. Almost as if someone bumps me from the rear. Its not super noticeable, most people probably wouldn't think anything of it, but I have a very keen sense of things like this. If I accelerate a bit faster, like half throttle, maybe a little less, it shifts quickly and smoothly, like butter. Every other gear is like butter, no matter how fast or slow I accelerate. I have already done about 5 drain and refills with Type IV, and replaced the gasket and filter on the last one. I also took out the "speed sensors" under the battery cleaned them, and switched them, and nothing changed.

Oh Also, if im cursing down the road, lets say at 40MPH, and I let off the gas, the RPMs drop all the way down to idle, then jump back up to cruising RPM, 1500 or so, I've done just about every DIY from here for this car, Cleaned AIC multiple times, MAF, replaced VVT solenoids,

The only other thing I can think of is the check engine light code p440, I've looked all over for a leak, and haven't found anything,

Should I do a couple more drains and refills? what other possibilities could it be? or am I just over reacting?

Anyway, I've posted here a couple times about some issues, most of them were greeted with lots of very helpful tips, and I have completed the suggestions and they fixed the problems, and I greatly appreciate that. But I've made a few posts that just seemed to go ignored. I dunno if Im just annoying, or maybe no ones knows the answer, anyway, This will be my last post about these issues. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-16-18, 11:07 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I suspect your posts went unanswered because no one had anything to contribute. The above problem is beyond me so, ordinarily, I wouldn't say anything (or worse, give a glib answer that might send you off in a totally incorrect direction).
The following users liked this post:
Androman (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 11:12 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I suspect your posts went unanswered because no one had anything to contribute. The above problem is beyond me so, ordinarily, I wouldn't say anything (or worse, give a glib answer that might send you off in a totally incorrect direction).
I agree with you. I have no idea what it could be.
The following users liked this post:
Androman (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 02:27 PM
Androman
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I suppose you are correct. I would much rather have no response then bad suggestions. But thanks for the response anyway.