RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door stuck on lock, won't open

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 09:52 AM
emckenzie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door stuck on lock, won't open

Hi everyone,

I own a 2001 RX300 and I've attempted to replace the door actuator on the front passenger side. I've reattached the door lock mechanism but I missed out connecting the lock cable to the actuator and now the door is shut and locked.

Is there a way for me to get my door opened by messing with the latch assembly? It doesn't seem to budge when I tried to pry it open. On a good note, I have not put the door panel back yet.
Old 08-15-17, 12:21 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Try the door lock key (mechanical) potion to unlock. That just might work.

Inside-door **** --> cable sleeve mechanism [you did not mention which end is unhooked. If it the door lever side you can for the cable.]
Remote -> door lock actuator
Door Key outside -> electromechanical.

Salim
Old 08-16-17, 05:35 AM
emckenzie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
Try the door lock key (mechanical) potion to unlock. That just might work.

Inside-door **** --> cable sleeve mechanism [you did not mention which end is unhooked. If it the door lever side you can for the cable.]
Remote -> door lock actuator
Door Key outside -> electromechanical.

Salim
I should also mention that my keyless entry system is not working.
The cable is unhooked from the actuator's end so flipping the unlock/lock switch from the door handle didn't work.
Do you know if I could unlock it if I pry the latch using a flat head screwdriver? I tried to give it a go but it didn't work. So I'm not sure if missing any secret tricks to it.

Edit: The "door key outside" didn't work for some reason

Last edited by emckenzie; 08-16-17 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 08-16-17, 08:15 AM
salimshah

The million $ question is where to apply the force with a screwdriver or a lever.

These the options:
Open the other door up and see which point you can apply the pressure.
Go to a locksmith.
Wait for suggestions from other members.

Salim
Old 08-17-17, 06:14 AM
Nick26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default try this

Try this method; using the hard key, insert in the outside door lock, then, at the same time, lift the handle and turn the key. It worked for me.
Old 08-17-17, 06:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Locksmith. Most of them have Slim Jims.
Old 04-29-21, 09:06 AM
derenwinn
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 RX300 - door will not open (inside or out)

All,
I just replaced the front drivers side door actuator. I put it all back together including the door panel, and unintentionally closed the door without testing it. I have a gut feeling the handle rod from the inside i put in the incorrect hole. Additionally, I think when i replaced the actuator, something happened.
Does anyone know how to open the door? My key will not unlock the door. I'm having to get in and out now via the passenger door.

Originally Posted by emckenzie
Hi everyone,

I own a 2001 RX300 and I've attempted to replace the door actuator on the front passenger side. I've reattached the door lock mechanism but I missed out connecting the lock cable to the actuator and now the door is shut and locked.

Is there a way for me to get my door opened by messing with the latch assembly? It doesn't seem to budge when I tried to pry it open. On a good note, I have not put the door panel back yet.
Old 04-29-21, 09:07 AM
derenwinn
Driver School Candidate

Default 2003 RX300 - Door not open

All,
I just replaced the front drivers side door actuator. I put it all back together including the door panel, and unintentionally closed the door without testing it. I have a gut feeling the handle rod from the inside i put in the incorrect hole. Additionally, I think when i replaced the actuator, something happened.
Does anyone know how to open the door? My key will not unlock the door. I'm having to get in and out now via the passenger door.
Old 04-29-21, 09:53 AM
salimshah

That is a big oops! Our DIY states that even after testing, leave the panel off for few days.

I think the lock is messed up and not the release. Have you tried the inside electrical button and the thumb release and outside key and remote. [the remote and inside electrical button have common links to the lock, but the other two are independent machoism. The problem could be that the one of the mechanical links is preventing the movement.

You can also get into the situation where the electrical part unlocks and then immediately locks it self ... you should be able to hear that. if that is happening you have to time it perfectly with momentarily unlocked condition to open the door with the handle (inside/outside) release.

You can open the inside covers and see if you can use long-long pliers to manipulate the lock rods.

Worst to worst, you have to gently bust open the panel. Check salvage yards if you end up creating too much damage.

Salim
Old 04-29-21, 10:15 AM
derenwinn
Driver School Candidate

The manual button on the inside of the door (the electrical button AND thumb release) don't seem to be the issue either. the remote doesn't work.
I really believe the manual mechanism is the issue.
Old 04-29-21, 03:49 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by derenwinn
The manual button on the inside of the door (the electrical button AND thumb release) don't seem to be the issue either. the remote doesn't work.
I really believe the manual mechanism is the issue.
Message is not clear.
Thumb lock release is mechanical and the key is mechanical as well as electrical. You can disconnect the battery and it will be mechanical only. The key operates the rods and the thumb operates the cable ... two different ways.
Similarly the door handle operates the release by rods and the inside lever operates by cable.

I am not clear if the lock is the issue or the release. If lock is stuck in lock position the release should not be able to open the door.

[the key has a switch on the barrel of the door handle. You can lock all doors and even roll down windows]

Salim