RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Help: Considering 2000 RX300 170k mi

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-17, 02:36 PM
BosJC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Help: Considering 2000 RX300 170k mi

Hi All,

Current owner of 2013 IS250 but helping my family select a reliable daily driver for my younger sister to get back and forth to college and work [20-40 miles daily].

Test drove a 2000 RX300 yesterday, in great shape cosmetically but with a few flags I'm concerned about -- I have no experience buying a used car so would appreciate any advice or thoughts:
  1. There was an audible repeating squeak/squeal when he pulled up. Owner said the belt needs replacement. It's the belt that's visible on passenger side when hood is open -- is that the drive belt? This is the photo I took of it: https://ibb.co/ngdsuv -- guess I also need to find out if timing chain has been replaced [last proof was 86k mi]
  2. The ABS indicator light was on. Owner says it's been on 2 years and his mechanic couldn't find anything wrong. Any one experience this issue?
  3. One of the four tires needs replacement, the other three look almost new. Is it okay to replace a single tire?
  4. The radio doesn't work. Owner says it's the amp and claimed it was a $99 part. Again, how much would I expect to pay for this repair [assuming his diagnosis is correct]?
Otherwise the car was cosmetically in great shape, inside and out. It drove comfortably and completely straight, AC was cold, shifted smoothly. I pulled a Carfax and it was Lexus serviced for the first 10 years up to 115k miles, then transferred to current owner who used his own mechanic. Anything else major I should be looking for?
Old 08-07-17, 04:50 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey!

Run away! I say that just based on the picture of the belt that is ready to break...the fact the owner has not yet replaced it, worries me about what else the owner has skimped on.

There are plenty of other RX300 on Craiglist in NJ. haha
Old 08-07-17, 05:13 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Judging by the condition of the engine bay and that belt in particular, I'd pass. If those fixes were as simple as the owner says, he should have fixed them himself. Probably has been neglected since he bought it (sludge, brakes, timing belt, water pump, etc, etc), Squealing when coming to a stop is not usually a belt and ABS problems are ALWAYS expensive. Fixing the radio may be possible but would you know how to remove the console/dash components to get it out to send it off to be repaired (or take out the back seat to get at the amp to get that fixed)?
Old 08-08-17, 06:43 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Was the squeak when he braked, or was it constant while the engine was on? If it is constant it is likely a belt. there could also be a pulley/bearing squeak mixed in with the belt, but you won't know that until you replace the belt. There is also a separate power steering belt in addition to the serpentine belt you showed in the photo.

Is the bad tire a different model/age from the other three. Are the other three the same age/model? If it is the same model and age, that is a red flag on the suspension. If the other three are roughly new (meaning the tread depth is 9/32" or higher, replacing one tire is ok. One other option is to replace two, and put the good one you remove on the spare.

Buying a used amp on ebay is easy, replacing it is not easy as the rear seat has to be removed. You might consider getting an aftermarket radio that has bluetooth and hands free calling.

Also check the oil level and the tailpipe. If the oil level is low it is likely an oil burner and you will need to replace the rear valve cover with a 3rd gen model. A dark tailpipe is also a clue it burns oil. Check the transmission fluid and see if it is a reasonable pinkish color. If really dark, the tranny might not be in great shape.

You will need to do the timing belt service if you buy the car.

If you have a trusted mechanic, see if the seller will let you take it for a quote on how much it would be to fix the issues, and if there are any other issues that might be lurking.