RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

State inspection headache!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-17, 06:43 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baetke
When you turn the key on (don't start the engine) does the check engine light illuminate during the self test?
Have you put a scan tool on it to see if it reports any trouble codes?
The data you have provided indicates the computer is unable to finish all the readiness checks; unusual given how much you have driven it. Maybe the computer is confused and just needs to be re-booted. Try pulling the 20A EFI fuse for about a half hour. This will reboot the computer and clear all of the memory. You will have to go through all of the drive cycles again. A scan tool will tell you which ones have passed and which are pending. They should all clear within 2 or 3 days of driving.
Thank you for the advice, ill try that today, better then burning through 2 tanks of gas already, for nothing...
Old 05-17-17, 06:46 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
if you have done all the scenarios in the readiness document, bring it to the dealer to force obd2 readiness with their monitor/scanner
Yes... it pains me to say but I think I may just have to take it to the dealer, just to find out what in the hell is going on cause this gots me stumped!
Old 05-17-17, 06:50 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by carguy07
For what it's worth, I had an A/F sensor on it's last legs that would throw a code and put the car in limp mode. I could clear the code with a scanner and it would be fine for several weeks before coming back. I was able to clear the code and drive about 5 miles to my local testing site and was able to pass (obviously it was "ready"). I wonder if you are having a sensor issue that's not throwing a code, but not giving enough feed back to put it into ready state. Like Bill said above, I would be looking at the bank 2 O2 sensor.
I do have close to 200k, on the original sensors I think, never had a code/issue with them but it's possible & worth a shot with my obd2, will I be looking for voltage from the sensor or do I need my multimeter and check ohms? Thanks
Old 05-17-17, 06:54 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
I have a friend who had same problem he was running 87 octane he shifted to 91 octane and the 2001 RX300 passed here in CA he switched to Mobil one motor I don't know if this helped. I have heard
stories about synthetic oil able to clean the inside of the engine somewhat, also using a fuel injector might help not sure. I run my tank to 1/4 empty and add 2-3 bottles of injection cleaner pick your own brand.
or I guess the 02 sensor is shot?????
Thanks! Carguy07 said the same thing about my o2 sensors.. could they just crap out one day? I'm going to try and test for voltage or ohms whichever it is lol, but I'll give it a shot, I'll probably go get some of mopars combustion chamber cleaner and give her a few sips, I really appreciate all you guys help and support!
Old 05-17-17, 01:02 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Unfortunately she's still showing the same thing...
That means the ECU is not getting any update from the sensor ... sensor is dead/disconnected/wire_has_break/ecu_not_responding

I would say examine the connectors and get a live OBDII monitoring device. Should be fairly quick at the dealership and may be worth the higher price you pay, but your diagnosis time may be less.

Salim
Old 05-18-17, 06:59 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
That means the ECU is not getting any update from the sensor ... sensor is dead/disconnected/wire_has_break/ecu_not_responding

I would say examine the connectors and get a live OBDII monitoring device. Should be fairly quick at the dealership and may be worth the higher price you pay, but your diagnosis time may be less.

Salim
Thank you, Salim, I will try to drive it up on my ramps today and look at the connections for any damage, I do have a obd 2 scanner, what info do I look for, I was looking at the sensors on the live data but is like 0.009v on one and the other one jumps up and down when I hit the the gas, I appreciate all the help, thanks!

-AnthonyMtz
Old 05-18-17, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

.009v seems to be dead.

Bank 1 .. next to the firewall
Bank2 .. next to the radiator.

Make sure the connectors are fully engaged ,,, disconnect and reconnect and listen for the click.

Salim
Old 05-20-17, 07:04 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
.009v seems to be dead.

Bank 1 .. next to the firewall
Bank2 .. next to the radiator.

Make sure the connectors are fully engaged ,,, disconnect and reconnect and listen for the click.

Salim
Thank you, Salim, I'll go look at her now, I almost forgot to mention that my VSC light illuminated and my ABS light as well, I was just driving down the road, once I got home I restarted the car and no lights came on, I just thought it was strange.
Old 05-20-17, 09:10 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the computer is getting turned off, resetting the codes, then and turned back on, all when you are not noticing. Don't know how that could happen, though.