RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

State inspection headache!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 10:34 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State inspection headache!

Hey guys how's it going, I've recently put my 02 rx back in commission after sitting for a good several month's, anyway's the battery had went dead during that time so i replaced it. A couple of months ago the inspection sticker expired which in return had forced me to go and get a new state inspection, well turns out it won't pass! I've been to 3 shops and they all say drive 40 mile's... well I've driven this car way more than 40 mile's and probably 30 start/stop cycle's within the last month, so obviously the car has been driven enough but it still won't pass, I'll include a picture of the emission's sheet that my last shop gave me... I don't know what's going on with it, no CEL light no code's, car runs strong no problem's, and I've never had a problem with this car not passing... this is the very first time!, I would appreciate anyone's input on to what in the world it could be!!

Last edited by AnthonyMtz; 04-20-17 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 04-20-17, 10:55 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Old 04-20-17, 11:00 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Are the shops getting "channel not ready"?

You have to wait till there is enough data to have the channel [source of each emission error code] ready. One of the most annoying code requires you to run the vehicle at crusing speed for about 45 minutes. So go on intercity trip with 40 minutes of 65mph driving.

Some counties do not require emission test but you may run into proof of residency issue.

Just be patient.

Most likely the shops have not charged you money for inspection, but you can insist on getting a fail notice while paying them for the service and come back in 30 days to prove the repair (if needed) has been done. The fail note will give you a break, if you are stopped by DPS [you may get a citation which can be waived once the proof of repair/pass is provide].

Salim
Old 04-20-17, 02:48 PM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by salimshah
Are the shops getting "channel not ready"?

You have to wait till there is enough data to have the channel [source of each emission error code] ready. One of the most annoying code requires you to run the vehicle at crusing speed for about 45 minutes. So go on intercity trip with 40 minutes of 65mph driving.

Some counties do not require emission test but you may run into proof of residency issue.

Just be patient.

Most likely the shops have not charged you money for inspection, but you can insist on getting a fail notice while paying them for the service and come back in 30 days to prove the repair (if needed) has been done. The fail note will give you a break, if you are stopped by DPS [you may get a citation which can be waived once the proof of repair/pass is provide].

Salim

Thanks for the reply! I just got done doing that, I put 60 miles on it to be exact, no restarts in between. I went back and the same thing happened, it failed. The report shows

Catalyst : Not ready
EVAP system: Not ready
02 sensor: Not ready

everything else passes fine, I'm stumped this cat has been driven over 150 miles throughout all the driving including today, yes I drove it with a sticker out lol!
Old 04-20-17, 07:22 PM
salimshah

If you drive the 60miles at above 2500 rpm then you should have logged enough. You just might be at the cusp.

Salim
Old 04-20-17, 08:44 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Check out the attachment on this post:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ml#post9634877
Old 05-16-17, 11:00 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maxSteel
Reporting back after a little bit, still won't pass the inspection test shows the same not ready as I posted on here, im not sure what else to do at this point, taking it to the dealer is something I didn't want to do and I don't think I will, I may just end up selling the vehicle since this has been almost a year and a half headache, I just don't want to drop $ into this older car.
Old 05-16-17, 11:04 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by maxSteel
If you drive the 60miles at above 2500 rpm then you should have logged enough. You just might be at the cusp.

Salim
Thanks for the reply, this car has never had a issue passing, ever, now all of a sudden it won't pass, no CEL and it runs fine, state inspection machine says no code's present... its getting to be a real PITA going back and forth to inspection shops. This car is driving me crazy!
Old 05-16-17, 11:23 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by AnthonyMtz
Thanks for the reply, this car has never had a issue passing, ever, now all of a sudden it won't pass, no CEL and it runs fine, state inspection machine says no code's present... its getting to be a real PITA going back and forth to inspection shops. This car is driving me crazy!
Are you still getting ??? channel not ready?

Last photo had 2 items as not ready. Any change?
Salim
Old 05-16-17, 12:49 PM
Baetke
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

When you turn the key on (don't start the engine) does the check engine light illuminate during the self test?
Have you put a scan tool on it to see if it reports any trouble codes?
The data you have provided indicates the computer is unable to finish all the readiness checks; unusual given how much you have driven it. Maybe the computer is confused and just needs to be re-booted. Try pulling the 20A EFI fuse for about a half hour. This will reboot the computer and clear all of the memory. You will have to go through all of the drive cycles again. A scan tool will tell you which ones have passed and which are pending. They should all clear within 2 or 3 days of driving.
Old 05-16-17, 02:04 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

if you have done all the scenarios in the readiness document, bring it to the dealer to force obd2 readiness with their monitor/scanner
Old 05-16-17, 02:33 PM
salimshah

Dealer also do state inspection . the rates are regulated by the state

They may be able to use the live update type OBDII reader and can tell you what is going on. They may charge you diagnosis fee ... You can also check Texas state web site .. they offer assistance in getting the vehicle certified/repaired [I dont know much about it, but I know that the process exists].

Salim
Old 05-16-17, 08:53 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a friend who had same problem he was running 87 octane he shifted to 91 octane and the 2001 RX300 passed here in CA he switched to Mobil one motor I don't know if this helped. I have heard
stories about synthetic oil able to clean the inside of the engine somewhat, also using a fuel injector might help not sure. I run my tank to 1/4 empty and add 2-3 bottles of injection cleaner pick your own brand.
or I guess the 02 sensor is shot?????
Old 05-17-17, 03:51 AM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

For what it's worth, I had an A/F sensor on it's last legs that would throw a code and put the car in limp mode. I could clear the code with a scanner and it would be fine for several weeks before coming back. I was able to clear the code and drive about 5 miles to my local testing site and was able to pass (obviously it was "ready"). I wonder if you are having a sensor issue that's not throwing a code, but not giving enough feed back to put it into ready state. Like Bill said above, I would be looking at the bank 2 O2 sensor.
Old 05-17-17, 06:39 AM
AnthonyMtz
Pole Position

Are you still getting ??? channel not ready?

Last photo had 2 items as not ready. Any change?
Salim
Unfortunately she's still showing the same thing...

Quick Reply: State inspection headache!