Checking for a bent rim - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking for a bent rim

Old 01-31-17, 11:32 AM
opelmanz
Driver School Candidate

Default Checking for a bent rim

So I've had a mild shake while driving at speeds. Previously caused minor steering wheel shimmy and now causes a mild vibration (having rotated wheels front to back).

My question is this, does putting the car in neutral mean I can spin each tire freely? I would need to buy a Fowler gauge and arm, but I'm wondering if the AWD prevents me spinning the tires because the differentials might need to be spinning to work or? Also, would you check for bent rim at home or always have a shop do it? I'm kind of a starving student atm so trying to avoid expensive shop fees and "oh you need to buy a new rim" mechanics...

I'd like to fine the bent rim and put my spare rim in rotation, after removing the odd tire from it and installing 4 new tires I just bought. I'll then put the old spare tire on the bent rim for my spare.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Checking for a bent rim

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: