RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time to do my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 08:31 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
have you checked rockauto? they have some at less than 60 each ...ball joints are extra.
I checked them. They have some good prices. Thank you.
Old 09-28-17, 09:44 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chazen
So I just installed the FCS replacement struts for our '99 RX300 - easy job. Minimal removal of parts required. Remove wheel, disconnect sway bar from strut, disconnect brake line mount and ABS sensor line. Adjust height of hub/rotor to easily remove the two large bolts holding strut bottom, remove the three nuts at top of strut in either the rear cargo area or under hood (rear/front respectively). Rinse, wash and repeat X 4.

Anyone have any interest in the OEM struts I removed? Fronts appear to be leaky, rears have cracked dust boots but do not appear to be leaking. PM me and I can send pictures - if I had a set to rebuild I might have gone that route, but the convenience of the bolt in option was a big motivator for me.

Will provide updates as I can regarding ride etc ... but the initial review is a much quieter ride eliminating metal on metal clunks and rattles on typical washboard dirt road. Seems fine on the asphalt, tight and smooth.

Chris in CO

ROCKAUTO order below

Thanks for this.. You didn't find it necessary to replace the sway bar links while doing this? I've heard they are a burden to get off and fairly cheap part.
Old 09-29-17, 10:02 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CaltonB
Thanks for this.. You didn't find it necessary to replace the sway bar links while doing this? I've heard they are a burden to get off and fairly cheap part.
I won't answer for him but I replaced my sway bar end links last year. All I can say is that you should heavily spray all the nuts with PB Blaster beforehand and let it soak in for a few hours. I did a pre spray in the morning before work, then later at night I sprayed them again about two hours before I went to my buddy's house to perform the work then sprayed them one last time right before we started. Probably was overkill but I know it helped. If I remember correctly, the end links had hex nuts and I remember that we stripped/rounded one of them somehow because it was seized and we cut a slot into it and used a screwdriver to help hold and get it off. The other sway bar end link went really smooth and took about 20 minutes total to get it swapped out.
Old 10-02-17, 11:56 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Just wanted to report back and say that after I swapped out the old front strut assemblies with the after market ones, the car is noticeably less bumpy and the "thunking" noise has stopped. It does seem to be that the strut mount had gone bad on the front passenger side.

The jingling metallic noise when riding over "wash board" surfaces such as roads with lots of bumpy cracks in the asphalt has drastically reduced. I'm happy with the improvement.

When I was in the process of swapping out the struts, I noticed that the furthest back bushings on my lower control arms are cracked and worn looking. Since I keep pushing back the purchase of a newer vehicle, I'm considering doing the rest of the suspension both front and rear since it is so cheap doing the work myself.
The following users liked this post:
CaltonB (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 08:18 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Originally Posted by jwigley
Just wanted to report back and say that after I swapped out the old front strut assemblies with the after market ones, the car is noticeably less bumpy and the "thunking" noise has stopped. It does seem to be that the strut mount had gone bad on the front passenger side.

The jingling metallic noise when riding over "wash board" surfaces such as roads with lots of bumpy cracks in the asphalt has drastically reduced. I'm happy with the improvement.

When I was in the process of swapping out the struts, I noticed that the furthest back bushings on my lower control arms are cracked and worn looking. Since I keep pushing back the purchase of a newer vehicle, I'm considering doing the rest of the suspension both front and rear since it is so cheap doing the work myself.
Thanks for the update.. sounds like the fcs ride is as good as the stock or at least close to it? Is the handling any better with the new shocks? Do you think the additional noise you have is related to the control arms?
Old 11-05-17, 05:53 PM
caseyatbt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I replaced all 4 with the FCS quick struts. Everything went smoothly. I did have one issue. When removing the left front strut the CV joint end that goes into the transfer case slid out a little and I had some fluid drip on the floor. It looked like transmission fluid. It stopped after 5-10 seconds and I pushed the joint back in. I checked my fluid level when I was finished and it was still in the acceptable range. It had me a little concerned at first since the other 3 did not have this problem when the CV joint moved a little out of position when I was removing the old strut. I thought I would post this in case anyone had any thoughts.
Old 11-06-17, 12:44 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Thanks for the update.. sounds like the fcs ride is as good as the stock or at least close to it? Is the handling any better with the new shocks? Do you think the additional noise you have is related to the control arms?
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, it seems pretty similar, decent I thought. A week after I did the work, I went and bought some used tires to keep me going for a few more months since call of mine had very worn tread. They are some crap name brand. Can't even remember right now. They made my ride feel bumpy and they squeal easily when turning on smooth surfaces. I might go back and buy a different brand. We'll see how much it bothers me. But for the week or so before I got the cheap used tires, the suspension was a definite improvement. I suspected that my right front strut was blown as well.

I'm not sure where the additional noise is coming from. It might be related to the control arms. I'm not much of a mechanic. If I end up doing the control arms and the ball joints etc. I will definitely report back with the results.
Old 11-07-17, 08:02 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, it seems pretty similar, decent I thought. A week after I did the work, I went and bought some used tires to keep me going for a few more months since call of mine had very worn tread. They are some crap name brand. Can't even remember right now. They made my ride feel bumpy and they squeal easily when turning on smooth surfaces. I might go back and buy a different brand. We'll see how much it bothers me. But for the week or so before I got the cheap used tires, the suspension was a definite improvement. I suspected that my right front strut was blown as well.

I'm not sure where the additional noise is coming from. It might be related to the control arms. I'm not much of a mechanic. If I end up doing the control arms and the ball joints etc. I will definitely report back with the results.
Thanks for the input. I've not known a tire to make a squealing noise but I have known a control arm or other suspension part to do that especially when turning the wheel.. does it make the noise while the vehicle is not moving?. What brand were the tires?
Old 11-07-17, 09:51 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Thanks for the input. I've not known a tire to make a squealing noise but I have known a control arm or other suspension part to do that especially when turning the wheel.. does it make the noise while the vehicle is not moving?. What brand were the tires?
No. Such a noise is from the rubber of the tire meeting the road. It isn't coming from the control arm or suspension. It sounds like I'm taking a corner too fast and skidding or slamming on the brakes and making the tires squeal. It typically happens in my parking garage at work where the cement is smooth. Happens on smooth surfaces too when I make sharp turns. Same thing happens to lots of other people in my parking garage, I hear it every day. It just never happened to me until I got these different tires. I shouldn't have brought this detail up because you're now thinking something is up with my suspension making that noise, it has nothing to do with my suspension. Sorry for the unnecessary detail. I was originally stating that after I replaced my struts, the thunking noise went away along with a majority of the jingling metallic noises and I should have left it as that.
Old 11-07-17, 01:51 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

No. Such a noise is from the rubber of the tire meeting the road. It isn't coming from the control arm or suspension. It sounds like I'm taking a corner too fast and skidding or slamming on the brakes and making the tires squeal. It typically happens in my parking garage at work where the cement is smooth. Happens on smooth surfaces too when I make sharp turns. Same thing happens to lots of other people in my parking garage, I hear it every day. It just never happened to me until I got these different tires. I shouldn't have brought this detail up because you're now thinking something is up with my suspension making that noise, it has nothing to do with my suspension. Sorry for the unnecessary detail. I was originally stating that after I replaced my struts, the thunking noise went away along with a majority of the jingling metallic noises and I should have left it as that.
Oh no big deal.. the wording threw me off normally I'd call that noise a skid noise or a screech. But i know what you're saying now, probably the cheap tires.
Old 11-07-17, 10:29 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

What should I do with my old strut assemblies?

I have them sitting in my garage still assembled and I don't want to mess with them. I can't throw them in the trash for fear that the springs will somehow pop free and hit someone in the face or worse. The whole point of getting the "quick struts" was so that I wouldn't have to compress any springs.

Will an auto parts store take them for recycle?
Old 11-07-17, 10:54 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

What should I do with my old strut assemblies?

I have them sitting in my garage still assembled and I don't want to mess with them. I can't throw them in the trash for fear that the springs will somehow pop free and hit someone in the face or worse. The whole point of getting the "quick struts" was so that I wouldn't have to compress any springs.

Will an auto parts store take them for recycle?
I'm pretty sure they will gladly take them at most mechanic shops may even try to rebuild them. Or autozone pepboys etc.. they usually take stuff like that if it's a safety concern. Or just put em on craigslist if you don't mind people coming to your house there's a section for people to pick up free stuff.
Old 11-08-17, 08:05 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

There is a proper way of disposal ..

1. Shocks .. you have drill a hole to allow pressurized stuff to leak out (this prevents unexpected build up).
2. Any thing under tension needs to be uncompressed ,,, the springs on the strut.

Usually the shops have a core deposit/refund for the parts they recycle. If that was not offered at time of purchase, you are on your own.

Honestly it will take you 1/2 the time to uncompress and dispose properly, of what it would have taken if you were to replace the shocks.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Puttster (12-16-17)
Old 11-20-17, 11:10 PM
Andro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chazen
So I just installed the FCS replacement struts for our '99 RX300 - easy job. Minimal removal of parts required. Remove wheel, disconnect sway bar from strut, disconnect brake line mount and ABS sensor line. Adjust height of hub/rotor to easily remove the two large bolts holding strut bottom, remove the three nuts at top of strut in either the rear cargo area or under hood (rear/front respectively). Rinse, wash and repeat X 4.

Anyone have any interest in the OEM struts I removed? Fronts appear to be leaky, rears have cracked dust boots but do not appear to be leaking. PM me and I can send pictures - if I had a set to rebuild I might have gone that route, but the convenience of the bolt in option was a big motivator for me.

Will provide updates as I can regarding ride etc ... but the initial review is a much quieter ride eliminating metal on metal clunks and rattles on typical washboard dirt road. Seems fine on the asphalt, tight and smooth.

Chris in CO

ROCKAUTO order below

So Will these struts also work on my 2001 RX300? Just making sure.
Old 01-29-18, 06:32 AM
donner454
10th Gear

Hi. are there any more feedback or review on these struts?

Quick Reply: Time to do my suspension