RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Time to do my suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 06:14 PM
chazen
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The struts from FCS were of the three stud variety .... bolt in w/o modification. No issues with the install. The first one took 1.5 hours and the rest took .5 hour each - it always works that way for me. I'll update as I learn more but the vehicle will be going back to Boulder in a few months and I don't drive it much now - as my daughter reports in I'll forward along comments to the group. With that said, so far it all seems to be a worthwhile investment in a vehicle worth about $3500 (or less).
Old 03-29-17, 05:53 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chazen
The struts from FCS were of the three stud variety .... bolt in w/o modification. No issues with the install. The first one took 1.5 hours and the rest took .5 hour each - it always works that way for me. I'll update as I learn more but the vehicle will be going back to Boulder in a few months and I don't drive it much now - as my daughter reports in I'll forward along comments to the group. With that said, so far it all seems to be a worthwhile investment in a vehicle worth about $3500 (or less).
Thanks for your confirmation. Please write your review on the FCS struts on this aftermarket parts review thread as times goes on. Hopefully your experience good or bad will be useful feedback for those looking for a relaible but economical alternative than OEM https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ew-thread.html
Old 05-31-17, 04:18 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally ordered the left and right front quick struts. Had shoulder surgery and a long recovery process and I'm finally good to work again.

Since I first posted on this thread, my front end has become even more ridiculously noisy (metal chatter and thunking noises), bumpy, and loose feeling. The crappy part is that I'm planning on getting a newer vehicle in August or September now but there is no way I'll be able to sell this thing with the way it drives right now. Hopefully I can get by with just replacing the front end.

I'll post again after I get them installed and report on the drive etc. Unfortunately I won't be able to do a review after a full year.
Old 05-31-17, 05:09 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,098 Likes on 988 Posts

Lower control arm is more susceptible to wear. Make sure that it is checked before you get the alignment done.

Salim
Old 06-05-17, 09:26 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by salimshah
Lower control arm is more susceptible to wear. Make sure that it is checked before you get the alignment done.

Salim
Any suggestions on how I can check it myself?
Old 06-05-17, 09:31 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

You need long pry bars, sometimes it helps to get the wheel off the ground. You can even find out by good visual, but nothing beets long pry bars. Be careful in selecting anchor (pivot) points and be prepared as the pry bar can slip.

Salim
Old 09-12-17, 07:07 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

I still haven't finished this repair. My summer was crazy and it was ridiculously hot in my area (Sacramento CA had a long heat wave this year) and I avoided the work all season. I'm going to do it myself now. I got tools, new 6 ton jack stands (US Jack), and I'm buying a floor jack in a couple days. I have a breaker bar, PB blaster, 6 point sockets short and deep, tension wrench. I think I'm covered for tools but always looking for suggestions.

Salimshah, you recommended checking the lower control arm and gave me a suggestion on how to check it. If I get it jacked up and remove the wheel and try to jiggle it, is that good enough of a test to see if the bushings in the lower control arm are bad?

That is what was recommended in this video regarding replacing the lower control arm:

If it looks like the bushings on the lower control arm are bad, then I read that I need to buy an all new lower control arm as they don't sell the bushings separately. I see this on a couple parts websites: http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f80379423 Does that sound correct?

I also read on another older thread here that the lower control arms from a Camry of the same year is exactly the same and costs a fraction of the Lexus lower control arm: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...arm-plate.html <-- can anyone else confirm this? (or maybe get the Highlander version?)

If I end up having to replace the lower control arm, I'm assuming that it wouldn't hurt to replace the ball joint as well. This is starting to sound like a big job at this point though so maybe I should just focus on the quick struts first and then look into the lower control arm and ball joints later as it seems that they are separate procedures from each other.

Your advice is appreciated.
Old 09-12-17, 10:22 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Video is fairly good to test, but the shaking from 3-6 Oclock position can be due to worn tie rod ends. To be fair, the camera did show give in the control arm. Also for suspension, I torque all the bolts with the wheels on the ground.

Salim
Old 09-13-17, 06:51 PM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99rx
Unfortunately they do not make what are affectionately know as "quick struts" for the RX300. So you're left to piece it out. KYB is, as much as I've understood, the OEM struts just rebranded. I've done the two RX's we have in the house now with KYB struts and Monroe mounts and all seems to be well. I did not to them myself, but purchased all the parts myself and had my mechanic install. The one RX had 110k miles when I did the struts and the other 67k miles. This was all within the last 6 months.

So now it seems like you have lots of information from knowledgable members. So let us know what you decide! Find a good Indy mechanic to do it for you, don't waste time at the dealer.
I have seen quick struts available online for the rx300 for a very low price... I am not sure of the quality but I believe they are fcs brand.

Also is changing the strut mount and keeping the same strut in that much extra work? No whoever asked that earlier.

Last edited by CaltonB; 09-13-17 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 09:54 AM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CaltonB
I have seen quick struts available online for the rx300 for a very low price... I am not sure of the quality but I believe they are fcs brand.

Also is changing the strut mount and keeping the same strut in that much extra work? No whoever asked that earlier.
I am about to put in a pair of the FCS quick struts. They are cheap.

I believe that swapping out just the strut will require you to compress the spring. This is considerably more work in my opinion and you have the risk factor of the spring popping free while you're working which can potentially be very dangerous.
Old 09-14-17, 09:55 AM
CaltonB
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwigley
I am about to put in a pair of the FCS quick struts. They are cheap.

I believe that swapping out just the strut will require you to compress the spring. This is considerably more work in my opinion and you have the risk factor of the spring popping free while you're working which can potentially be very dangerous.
The quick struts to my understanding already come with the spring attached so it is merely pulling out the old one and putting in the new one yes? My main concern is having to compress springs etc.

Last edited by CaltonB; 09-15-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 02:29 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

I still haven't finished this repair. My summer was crazy and it was ridiculously hot in my area (Sacramento CA had a long heat wave this year) and I avoided the work all season. I'm going to do it myself now. I got tools, new 6 ton jack stands (US Jack), and I'm buying a floor jack in a cou
If it looks like the bushings on the lower control arm are bad, then I read that I need to buy an all new lower control arm as they don't sell the bushings separately. I see this on a couple parts websites: http://www.autozone.com/repairguides...96b43f80379423 Does that sound correct?

IIRC...Energy suspension sells inner rear lower control arm bushings and Moog sells the rear side bushing... however it is cheap enough and less labor intensive to buy a used or aftermarket control arm with new bushings pressed in. It really comes down to your time to press out the bushing shells and decision to reuse your known factory control arms.
The following users liked this post:
jwigley (09-18-17)
Old 09-18-17, 04:27 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CaltonB
The quick struts to my understanding already come with the spring attached so it is merely pulling out the old one and putting in the new one yes? My main concern is having to compress springs etc.
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, the quick struts come with their own spring already attached. Yes, you just pull out the entire strut assembly and put in the new one. No need to compress the spring with the "quick struts".
Old 09-18-17, 04:31 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
IIRC...Energy suspension sells inner rear lower control arm bushings and Moog sells the rear side bushing... however it is cheap enough and less labor intensive to buy a used or aftermarket control arm with new bushings pressed in. It really comes down to your time to press out the bushing shells and decision to reuse your known factory control arms.
At this point I'm only doing this work so that I can drive the car for a few more months and then sell it after the holiday season. I don't mind if I get aftermarket lower control arms. The best I've seen is $99 for each. I saw that the Camry lower control arms are the same and read that the price is cheaper but they are the same price too it seems. Any suggestions for a better price?
Old 09-25-17, 04:48 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

At this point I'm only doing this work so that I can drive the car for a few more months and then sell it after the holiday season. I don't mind if I get aftermarket lower control arms. The best I've seen is $99 for each. I saw that the Camry lower control arms are the same and read that the price is cheaper but they are the same price too it seems. Any suggestions for a better price?
have you checked rockauto? they have some at less than 60 each ...ball joints are extra.

Quick Reply: Time to do my suspension