RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Won't come out of park.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-16, 05:11 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Won't come out of park.

I've been working on two problems: ignition cylinder won't turn and brake lights won't go on. Called in a locksmith for the former and he got the cylinder out, jiggered the things in there and now the engine starts just fine. However, now it won't shift out of Park unless you push the unlocking button on the console. The locksmith thinks the problem is that the brake pedal is not sending a "ready" signal to the computer and when I fix that, all will be well again. I'm thinking it's a security (key) issue. Thoughts?.
Old 09-08-16, 05:55 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

What was the solution to getting the lock cylinder out?
Old 09-08-16, 08:37 PM
Puttster
Driver

It took this expert locksmith nearly an hour, of tap tap tapping and turning the key, tapping and turning. Not sure where the the tapping was, I think in the button underneath, until finally the key would turn enough the button could be depressed and the cylinder pulled out. That is my guess. He must have been making some visible incremental progress or he wouldn't have kept at it so long.
Old 09-08-16, 11:49 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttster
I've been working on two problems: ignition cylinder won't turn and brake lights won't go on. Called in a locksmith for the former and he got the cylinder out, jiggered the things in there and now the engine starts just fine. However, now it won't shift out of Park unless you push the unlocking button on the console. The locksmith thinks the problem is that the brake pedal is not sending a "ready" signal to the computer and when I fix that, all will be well again. I'm thinking it's a security (key) issue. Thoughts?.
Easiest thing is to have an assistant stand at the back and see if the brake lights light up when you depress the pedal. If no, then the brake switch, wiring and fuse need to be looked at. If yes, then you have to trace the release relay.

Salim
Old 09-09-16, 08:10 AM
Puttster
Driver

What is the release relay? I'm looking for the wire/relay/sensor that will let me shift out of park. It is not working and possibly related to the brake lights not lighting up.
The brake pedal switch diagram has a G-W wire coming out of it labelled "To shift lock ECU." Can that switch be adjusted? Maybe its the problem.

Last edited by Puttster; 09-09-16 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 10:39 AM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

What is the release relay? I'm looking for the wire/relay/sensor that will let me shift out of park. It is not working and possibly related to the brake lights not lighting up.
The brake pedal switch diagram has a G-W wire coming out of it labelled "To shift lock ECU." Can that switch be adjusted? Maybe its the problem.
There's another diagram showing the shift lock ECU. That one takes a number of inputs and controls the shift lock solenoid.
One of the inputs is from the stop light switch, so the suggestion to verifying the brake lights work makes a lot of sense.
There are a couple of fuses in the mix as well.

Old 09-09-16, 04:52 PM
salimshah

Little difficult to understand your post ... I am sure mine was a lot more difficult to understand for you.

Did the brake tail lights lit up when you pressed the brake pedal? It seems they did not. heck the fuse and then check out the switch. The adjustment fine tunes the point of switch, but the pedal travels more.

Salim
Old 09-09-16, 06:32 PM
Puttster
Driver

Good idea to re-check fuse. It must have blown while I was messing with the brake module. New fuse, now shifter will come out of park. Problem fixed!
Old 09-09-16, 07:25 PM
salimshah

Good idea to re-check fuse. It must have blown while I was messing with the brake module. New fuse, now shifter will come out of park. Problem fixed!
Take the neg terminal off and wait few minutes before working on anything.

Glad it was only a fuse.

Salim