RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Getting a new key made for 99 RX300

Old 08-28-16, 07:25 PM
rnostkrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a new key made for 99 RX300

Okay guys so I only have a key for my ignition on my 99 RX300 and last night the remote part of it fell out and broke so now I can't even get into my car to drive it since I don't have a spare or door keys.

I asked so local locksmiths how much it would be to make a key for the door and they said $180 for the key but when I asked them about the remote they said they would have to reprogram the key and it would cost me near $700 for a new key with the remote portion?! I feel like this is a bit too much for a key of any kind.

They also told me that the car wouldn't start if I just got the door key because the remote portion that I lost tells the car it is okay to turn on? This isn't a factory Lexus key either so someone had this one remade as well before when I bought the car used.

Any help or ideas on what I can do and what I should expect to pay would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-28-16, 09:25 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

The electronic component with the door remote and security chip is pretty sturdy.
How did it fall out and break?

Old 08-28-16, 09:52 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by rnostkrs
Okay guys so I only have a key for my ignition on my 99 RX300 and last night the remote part of it fell out and broke so now I can't even get into my car to drive it since I don't have a spare or door keys.

I asked so local locksmiths how much it would be to make a key for the door and they said $180 for the key but when I asked them about the remote they said they would have to reprogram the key and it would cost me near $700 for a new key with the remote portion?! I feel like this is a bit too much for a key of any kind.

They also told me that the car wouldn't start if I just got the door key because the remote portion that I lost tells the car it is okay to turn on? This isn't a factory Lexus key either so someone had this one remade as well before when I bought the car used.

Any help or ideas on what I can do and what I should expect to pay would be greatly appreciated!
Please read the sticky 'having problems start here'. There is a section on key and key remote.

Salim
Old 08-28-16, 10:37 PM
rnostkrs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the sticky without any luck on what I need to do. It does sound like without the remote portion of the key inside of the fob my key won't be able to work with the car anymore?

I still have the blade part and everything the screw on the back that holds it all together came loose and the remote buttons and board fell out and got smashed so I can't open the doors to even see if I really do need that new remote key programmed.
Old 08-29-16, 09:12 AM
salimshah

Without a master key [slug in the key] with magnetic signature matching the stored signature in the ECU, you are out of luck my friend. The protection we build to keep out unwanted people driving away also prevents us to drive away. If the sticky did not make it clear, then please suggest a better way and I will update it.

Go through the pieces you have and see if you have the tiny slug. It can be in the molded plastic base of the key blade and not in the electronic sub-assembly. Hyper can confirm this.

If not then you have to get a new ecu.

Check with dealer ,,, most likely it will be expensive, but you never know.

Buy a used ECU with set of master keys or at least one master key. Getting a complete set of keys (although not a must) will reduce your overall cost. Then have all locks changed to match the newly acquired key(s). You can check with a locksmith if re-personalizing new key blades vs changing the cylinder would be cheaper.

The broken shell key, should be able to operate the locks. Unless the key never belonged to the RX.

Having only ONE master key, is never a good idea.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 08-29-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 09:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

How badly are the internals damaged of the master key? Have you tried starting the car with the chip held up right next to the key? Sounds like you still have the key shell itself, so you can get into the car by manually unlocking it.
Old 08-29-16, 05:17 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had a different situation. I had two master keys, one broke and I discovered the other (my spare) had a bad electronic-magnetic module.

There are people on eBay who will make keys (minus the electronic-magnetic module) for about $28 each. I gave them the key code, but some will work from a photograph of the key pattern.

I think used OEM electronic-magnet modules sell used on eBay for maybe $50-$70 (usually sold as part of a used key).

The instructions for teaching the RX300 to identify the new module, which are readily available on the internet, worked like a charm.
Old 08-29-16, 06:22 PM
salimshah

Hyperwish:

Is the magnet part of the electronics (remote) or it is part of the base shell? I dont have my keys with me and it has been a while since I opened the shell.

Salim
Old 08-29-16, 07:53 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Hyperwish:

Is the magnet part of the electronics (remote) or it is part of the base shell? I dont have my keys with me and it has been a while since I opened the shell.

Salim
It is part of the electronics, the shell is just plastic.
Old 08-29-16, 09:02 PM
salimshah

Thank you Hyper. You are always there helping out folks.

Back to OP's problem ,,, the slug is almost indestructible, I hope you have the crushed electronics even if the remote is destroyed.

Salim
Old 08-31-16, 05:57 AM
99rx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Buy a new blank key and remote on eBay. I bought a brand new denso one for my GS for ~$22. I still had another master key to help with the cutting of the new key, but the programming process is the same. I got it all done for under $100 by a local locksmith. You'd probably be looking at a little more since they may have some extra labor involved to get the key programmed correctly. But not $700 more. I'd say a good locksmith could get you taken care of for under $200. My guy actually plugged a computer into the vehicle and did all the programming electronically.
Old 09-07-16, 03:58 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about removing the key cylinder and replacing it with a used one with keys, would that work?
Old 09-07-16, 06:53 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttster
What about removing the key cylinder and replacing it with a used one with keys, would that work?
My understanding is it's not about the cylinder, it's the immobilizer chip. 99rx wrote : "I still had another master key to help with the cutting of the new key, but the programming process is the same. " I think as long as you have at least one working remote you can program another, but if you have no remotes you need to replace the whole thing.
Old 09-10-16, 09:29 PM
Puttster
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through a similar situation. One of the choices was the locksmith could buy a new cylinder for $195, install it for $45 and program the keys to the CPU for another $45. However, I'm not sure where that left the door locks, maybe some more programming would be necessary(?). I said, "Everything for $300" and he nodded... but I had a funny feeling there would be more, so I didn't go that route. I did see later though that the cylinders do cost $195 (ebay).
Old 09-11-16, 12:18 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Puttster
I just went through a similar situation. One of the choices was the locksmith could buy a new cylinder for $195, install it for $45 and program the keys to the CPU for another $45. However, I'm not sure where that left the door locks, maybe some more programming would be necessary(?). I said, "Everything for $300" and he nodded... but I had a funny feeling there would be more, so I didn't go that route. I did see later though that the cylinders do cost $195 (ebay).
Complete fix would require changing lock cylinders on front 2 doors, rear hatch and glove compartment.

Salim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting a new key made for 99 RX300