RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

spare parts to take on a long drive cross country ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 10:38 PM
DSRTWGN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spare parts to take on a long drive cross country ?

Hi,

I just got this '00 RX300 to replace a beautiful classic car (immaculate '98 MB S320) that was flooded in last week's historic 2016 Louisiana flood

we are taking it back half-cross-country from Arizona to Louisiana (can't buy a good car there now, obviously ) - what spare parts do you guys recommend to take on the drive ?

I own a '72 Toyota Landcruiser, a '93 Toyota Landcruiser and a '97 Lexus LX450, so what comes to mind are fusible link, EFI fuse, belts . . . anything else ?

I searched but couldn't find the relevant threads here, so any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Claudia
Old 08-25-16, 11:36 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

A spare transmission and 6 gallons of motor oil should get you home. LOL

some, not all rx300 drink oil either by the pcv or piston rings when driven above 70 mph for extended durations. So check your oil level at every fill up of gas. The transmissions have a design flaw which affect many but not all, and causes the planetary gear to tear itself a part.

Otherwise its a very reliable vehicle.
Old 08-26-16, 06:02 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

you shouldn't need any parts. These are reliable vehicles if maintained. Top off or change your fluids before your trip. Check your oil level at every gas fillup as Drcoffee suggested. I'd consider taking a jug of oil and gallon of water for topping off.
Old 08-26-16, 07:32 AM
rickl289
Driver School Candidate

I drove my 2000 to LA in about 30 hours and the only "issue" was oil. Bring a funnel too!
Old 08-26-16, 08:13 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by DSRTWGN
Hi,

I just got this '00 RX300 to replace a beautiful classic car (immaculate '98 MB S320) that was flooded in last week's historic 2016 Louisiana flood

we are taking it back half-cross-country from Arizona to Louisiana (can't buy a good car there now, obviously ) - what spare parts do you guys recommend to take on the drive ?

I own a '72 Toyota Landcruiser, a '93 Toyota Landcruiser and a '97 Lexus LX450, so what comes to mind are fusible link, EFI fuse, belts . . . anything else ?

I searched but couldn't find the relevant threads here, so any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Claudia
Congratulations on your purchase.

Do you have the vehicles history ... that will tell you a lot about the issues with your vehicle. Since it is an old model, usually the dealer history stops when the vehicle is not brought for regular service.

I would freshen all fluids, ensure belts are new and drive the vehicle in town for a day or two and observe for any leaks or drop in levels,

I personally would be hesitant to drive cross country with a newly acquired vehicle in extreme hot/cold weather. If you must in summer I would suggest start your first leg at 2-3am ... least traffic and less heat.

This is what I would carry.
1. Mobile Phone with good coverage plan.
2. Membership to an Auto-Club with long towing option (you can tweak/change/drop later.
3. Flash light.
4. Working spare ,, check the air pressure. Make sure you have the lug wrench and wheel lock adapter if equipped. Loosen all lug bolts and tight them to spec 76 ft-lb.
5. Set of tools (socket and wrenches 8mm - 20mm) Screw drivers (phillips and flat). Channel lock pliers and one adjustable wrench 6-8" handle.
6. Rags. Gallon of water (portable as it will serve multiple purpose). 1 qt of engine oil.
7. Since it is a new car make sure all warning lights work (ignition switch off to ACC to run [before start])
8. Check essential fluid levels before the journey and recheck them after 3 hrs of driving and them 9 hrs then weekly.

Shops who have been in business [Lexus is supposed to do this too but they just may be shocked if you go in and ask] is a road journey check. They lift the vehicle and torque check all the suspension nuts and bolts and give a visual check of things.

Salim

PS: Never add water/coolant to a hot engine. Mechanics have a trick .. but for general public ,,, dont even attempt to open the radiator cap with the engine hot.

Last edited by salimshah; 08-26-16 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-26-16, 08:34 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Congratulations on your purchase.

Do you have the vehicles history ... that will tell you a lot about the issues with your vehicle. Since it is an old model, usually the dealer history stops when the vehicle is not brought for regular service.

I would freshen all fluids, ensure belts are new and drive the vehicle in town for a day or two and observe for any leaks or drop in levels,

I personally would be hesitant to drive cross country with a newly acquired vehicle in extreme hot/cold weather. If you must in summer I would suggest start your first leg at 2-3am ... least traffic and less heat.

This is what I would carry.
1. Mobile Phone with good coverage plan.
2. Membership to an Auto-Club with long towing option (you can tweak/change/drop later.
3. Flash light.
4. Working spare ,, check the air pressure. Make sure you have the lug wrench and wheel lock adapter if equipped. Loosen all lug bolts and tight them to spec 76 ft-lb.
5. Set of tools (socket and wrenches 8mm - 20mm) Screw drivers (phillips and flat). Channel lock pliers and one adjustable wrench 6-8" handle.
6. Rags. Gallon of water (portable as it will serve multiple purpose). 1 qt of engine oil.
7. Since it is a new car make sure all warning lights work (ignition switch off to ACC to run [before start])
8. Check essential fluid levels before the journey and recheck them after 3 hrs of driving and them 9 hrs then weekly.

Shops who have been in business [Lexus is supposed to do this too but they just may be shocked if you go in and ask] is a road journey check. They lift the vehicle and torque check all the suspension nuts and bolts and give a visual check of things.

Salim

PS: Never add water/coolant to a hot engine. Mechanics have a trick .. but for general public ,,, dont even attempt to open the radiator cap with the engine hot.
Salim,

The only thing you left off the list was his Holy Book and a shotgun. WAAHAAA I crack myself up.

LOL
Old 08-26-16, 02:50 PM
maxSteel
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

In my trunk I keep:
  • A good spare and working jack
  • A can of fix-a-flat
  • Long, good quality jumper cables
  • Antifreeze
  • Motor oil
  • Transmission fluid
  • Bungee cords
  • A rain parka
  • Glass cleaner
  • Paper towels
  • A code reader
I don't carry many tools any more. Found I was never using them.
Probably use the glass cleaner the most.

Before leaving:
  • Check/change fluids, check tires, etc
  • Check the battery and alternator. I've gotten stuck twice this year on these two. Fortunately was not far from home.
  • Make sure you can break the lug nuts with the lug wrench in the car. I had to get towed by flat bed once because the guy that rotated my tires (free rotation where I bought the tires) way over-torqued them when he put them back on. I couldn't budge them. Called AAA to change the tire and the wheel lock key snapped. I had to tow it to the tire shop and order new keys to get the wheels off.
Have a good trip
Old 08-26-16, 05:30 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
Salim,

The only thing you left off the list was his Holy Book and a shotgun. WAAHAAA I crack myself up.

LOL
MaxSteel showed us that my list was not complete.

Salim
Old 08-27-16, 01:13 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Agree on taking the OBDII reader.
Check the codes before you leave to see if there are any old codes stored. If you don't have one, go to an auto parts store and have them read them for you. That might tell you about any lurking problems.
Also take more than a quart of oil. As Dr Coffee said, some of these RX's will burn it like crazy. Mine burns it at around 300 mi/qt when I drive at 80mph. Note your typical speed during the initial leg of the trip. When you check the oil at your first fill-up, if you are burning alot of oil and you may need to slow down to lower the rate of burning. Or at that point stock up on oil for the rest of the trip.
Old 08-27-16, 10:20 PM
DSRTWGN
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the input

just some random pre-trip preparation happenings/observations - mind you, I just bought the car on Thursday and my husband is driving is back to Louisiana this weekend:

Lexus dealer's parts person could not distinguish aftermarket from OEM wiper arms - [I'll spare you my three-letter comment here]

only one of the belts supposedly was available in the entire 4 Million people Phoenix market - nearby Toyota dealer approached with correct parts number "confirmed" supposed non-availability of belt common to many Toyota models - [I'll spare you my three-letter comment here] - so I picked up aftermarket belt at the local autoparts shop

new-to-us OBDII-iPhone compatible reader that just shipped from Amazon yesterday turned out to have a problem in connecting firmly to the OBDII socket - consequently made no connection to the iPhone, nor the iPad, so back to Amazon it went

apparently, some headlight bulbs are not supposed to be replaced ever ? - (on account of not being accessible even to small-handed people -unless you feel like a whole radiator/battery removal ?) - at least we got new HID main bulbs installed

otherwise, I can report that the first 700 miles went without any problems - much of it at ~80mph - no oil consumed

PS: floppy visor issue temporarily fixed by velcroeing the visor shut - after all, the trip is east, not west with the sun in your eyes

PS2: the car also has the "hot feet" issue but there just wasn't enough to time to get and change the firewall gasket for the steering column

Last edited by DSRTWGN; 08-27-16 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 10:28 PM
DSRTWGN
Driver School Candidate

and for your entertainment, this is the vehicle - photographed Thursday night right after purchase:
Attached Thumbnails spare parts to take on a long drive cross country ?-rx300-mud-size-2-1.jpg  
Old 08-28-16, 09:27 AM
salimshah

No need of visor traveling East ----> No early morning drives eh? Those are the best hours to drive (and for photography).. unless going through a big city during rush hour.

Salim