RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

RX300 2001 Remote unlock slow to respond

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 10:01 AM
LondonLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX300 2001 Remote unlock slow to respond

Hello everyone,
New to the forum. My RX300 2001 has developed a fault & seem to be getting worse. It started with the doors not unlocking by remote. So I put WD40 / spray grease on all 5 locks. No change.

Then I disconnected the battery for 1 hour to reset any gremlins. No change.

When I press the unlock from remote it is slow to respond. However, the locking is very quick to respond. I have also replaced the battery on the remote key fob as well & it is the same slow response to both keys when unlocking.

When unlocking from inside drivers door switch it is very quick to respond. So it is not a fault with the door locks sticking as the door lock actuators is very fast to respond.

The issue is always when unlocking by remote. I am worried that something is on its way out as sometimes I cannot get into the car at all as it does not respond to the remote key. It gets worse when I have to stand with my little son in pouring rain trying to get into the vehicle.

If I use the key to unlock the drivers door lock, the alarm goes off. Also the security disarm red light on dash below the clock does not go off which means that when I unlock by key the alarm is not deactivating. So I have to use the unlock button in key to unlock & disarm the factory alarm.

There is no after market alarm fitted as well as everything is operated by original RX300 key.

Is there an alarm/door unlock relay that could be going faulty?

Thanks to the valued forum members, I now know that the remote receiver is located at the rear quarter panel behind filler cap. Could this be going faulty.

I have tried all options & do not know what to do about this.
Please help.
Old 01-11-16, 11:52 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Have you tried another key-remote? This may help us narrow down if the problem is with the transponder or the receiver.

Out of desperation you can always try to make the RX receiver re-learn the transmitted signal from the key. Instructions are floating the net and here in CL-RX300 by 'hyperwish'

Also remember that RX has a lock out mode, where if it receives signal from a another RX-key it will disable unlocking. You have to use your key-blade to unlock and enter the RX (rain or shine).

Salim
Old 01-11-16, 12:25 PM
LondonLex
Driver School Candidate

Hi Salim,
As always there to help. Thanks. I have tried both keys & it is same. Also after removing the battery terminal, I thought that the problem will go away as suggested in previous threads.

I cannot use the key to open doors as the factory alarm goes off.

There is a red LED flashing on dash below the clock which is an original feature. Only when I unlock by remote the alarm disarms & the flashing red LED goes off.
Old 01-12-16, 09:53 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by LondonLex
Hi Salim,
As always there to help. Thanks. I have tried both keys & it is same. Also after removing the battery terminal, I thought that the problem will go away as suggested in previous threads.

I cannot use the key to open doors as the factory alarm goes off.

There is a red LED flashing on dash below the clock which is an original feature. Only when I unlock by remote the alarm disarms & the flashing red LED goes off.
Once you insert your factory key in the ignition, the alarm should go off. There is a procedure where you use both master keys to reset/re-initialize the setup. Sorry I don't know where I read that.

I was hoping hyper would comment on your thread here. Try using PM.

Salim
Old 01-12-16, 01:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Once you insert your factory key in the ignition, the alarm should go off. There is a procedure where you use both master keys to reset/re-initialize the setup. Sorry I don't know where I read that.

I was hoping hyper would comment on your thread here. Try using PM

Salim
I've been following the thread, but don't have any useful advice to add that you haven't already provided.

In terms of re-initialzing the system:
1. Insert master key (non-remote master) into driver's side door.
2. Remove key.
3. Insert master remote key into driver's side door.
4. Remove key.
5. Insert master key (non-remote master) into ignition.
6. Remove key.
7. Insert master remote key into ignition.
8. Remove key.

Last edited by hypervish; 01-12-16 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 10:21 AM
cbr900
Driver School Candidate

hypervish, when you typed 'non remote master", do you mean the Valet key or the metal "credit card" key? Thank you.

LondonLex, I'm sorry to say that I had the same symptoms, and yesterday the remote lock/unlock stopped working. All troubleshooting so far appears to point to the remote receiver.
Old 04-23-19, 04:56 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr900
hypervish, when you typed 'non remote master", do you mean the Valet key or the metal "credit card" key? Thank you.

LondonLex, I'm sorry to say that I had the same symptoms, and yesterday the remote lock/unlock stopped working. All troubleshooting so far appears to point to the remote receiver.
Sorry, I was referring to the valet key.
Old 04-24-19, 10:40 AM
cbr900
Driver School Candidate

hypervish,
Thanks. I tried that and it didn't work so I was clinging to some kind of hope that there was another way! I think my receiver is bad...everything else works (all door actuators work, no alarms go off when I open any of the 3 doors with keyholes with the key after the alarm is armed) and the system confirms the presence of 2 remotes, but I cannot "add" or "rewrite" a transmitter.