RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

wont drive. banging sound in drive and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 09:30 AM
matts6887
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

If you plan on buying another lexus; be it another suv or a sedan; I might consider choosing something that isnt as old with not nearly as many miles on it(if your finances allow for it that is) because repairs probably wont be as frequent and probably wont come slamming down on ya all at one time(hopefully it wont).
Old 04-30-15, 11:40 AM
Bobster999
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX300Crys
Good morning, Salim. Thank you for the commendation on my attitude. I realize I was very fortunate to drive my car so many miles before needing transmission work. At this point, the engine is still good. I know a lady who replaced the engine and transmission around 160k. The more reading I do, it seems that both of these items are replaced much sooner. So, I remain thankful. I am disappointed about the repairs but nonetheless grateful.

To answer your question, it is possible that i did the flush and don't remember. Sorry I can't be more helpful. My parents now both have Lexus cars. All of us agree that it is the best car we have ever driven. My parents have owned a BMW and Corvette in the past. My Lexus was driving so good before yesterday that I am very tempted to get the transmission. However, I am concerned that once I put the transmission in the engine may go. 287k miles is a lot. I have been fortunate. I don't want to be greedy. My plan is to buy another Lexus.
If you source the trans yourself. And just find a decent local mechanic to just R&R the trans for you. Then you could have it all done for under $2k... Ask yourself this, can you find another car as good as yours for that price? I mean if the whole car is in great shape then i wouldnt hesitate to do that.
Old 05-01-15, 04:36 PM
RX300Crys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster999
If you source the trans yourself. And just find a decent local mechanic to just R&R the trans for you. Then you could have it all done for under $2k... Ask yourself this, can you find another car as good as yours for that price? I mean if the whole car is in great shape then i wouldnt hesitate to do that.
Bob, what you say is so true. However, that is why I spent the initial $2500 on repairs. I am now more cautious. The engine is the original one. The other parts that were replaced the week before it died were original too. I just couldn't take the gamble that the engine or another part would go. A few of the parts were ones you could only get from the dealer so...

On a great note, a mechanic did buy it from me for $1650. I posted it at 12am. By the next morning I had 7 or 8 offers.
Old 05-01-15, 07:27 PM
matts6887
Racer

Bob, what you say is so true. However, that is why I spent the initial $2500 on repairs. I am now more cautious. The engine is the original one. The other parts that were replaced the week before it died were original too. I just couldn't take the gamble that the engine or another part would go. A few of the parts were ones you could only get from the dealer so...

On a great note, a mechanic did buy it from me for $1650. I posted it at 12am. By the next morning I had 7 or 8 offers.
In more ways than one it is kinda sad to see ya decide to sell the rx; but; since you said you want to get another one; maybe as I said before that you might want to consider one a few years newer due to the fact that there hopefully will be less issues if u find one that interests you that has less miles and one that has been well cared for. Just some food for thought here is all. It is good to see that a actual mechanic bought the previous rx from you because if anyone can fix it they will surely be able to obviously.
Old 05-09-15, 12:21 PM
RX300Crys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Another Lexus

Originally Posted by matts6887
If you plan on buying another lexus; be it another suv or a sedan; I might consider choosing something that isnt as old with not nearly as many miles on it(if your finances allow for it that is) because repairs probably wont be as frequent and probably wont come slamming down on ya all at one time(hopefully it wont).
I hope to buy a RX400h today. A 2008. The reviews are really good from what I have found so far.
Old 05-09-15, 06:05 PM
matts6887
Racer

I hope to buy a RX400h today. A 2008. The reviews are really good from what I have found so far.
Sounds like a good plan to me!. Sometimes I wish i could afford a newer one that gets better mileage etc.; but; alas that is not gonna happen for me anytime soon so I just have to work with what I have for now.