RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Door lock issues on 1999 RX300, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 09:09 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Door lock issues on 1999 RX300, help needed

There are so many problems it seems with the electronic door locks on the first gen RX300. I have a '99 worth $4000 I don't need the security system anymore. So here is my issue. When I lock the doors with the key fob, the automatic headlights don't turn off but the doors stay locked. When I unlock the doors with the key fob, the first push no sound, and door unlocks, two pushes on the fob and it beeps to let me know all the doors are unlocked. The drivers door did unlock with the first push, just no beep. If I leave the door open, the car will re-lock in 30 seconds as if it does not know the door is open. Same for the front passenger door. If I open the rear 3 doors, no re-lock. Everything is normal.

I replaced the front left door actuator with an OEM new unit. same problem. I took the door panel off this morning and pulled it out and reconnected the electric plugs and observed the function through all its possible operations. I can't seem to find anything obvious that's causing an issue. Here is where I am at.

I disconnected the latch sensor wire, the smaller, two wire connector on the latch mechanism. So the chime no longer chimes when the door is open. I'm okay with that. The door locks no longer appear to mysteriously re-lock themselves while the door is open.

--->> My question is this. What else than does that latch sensor control? Does it affect the security system or vital computer functions?
Old 07-24-16, 09:36 AM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it also controls the dome light.
Old 07-24-16, 09:43 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

DrCoffee;

I generally try to focus on the technical side, but I disagree with your chain of thoughts on loss/safety [You just focused on the loss].

Due to immobilizer you dont have to worry too much on some one stealing the RX. Without the lock your contents more likely to be stolen.

You will compromise the safety by allowing some one to enter unlocked vehicle. <== Please do not overlook that possibility.

Salim
Old 07-24-16, 10:44 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

would it be beneficial to reprogram the key fobs? I wonder if when I disconnected my battery, if that affected the lock system.
Old 07-24-16, 05:04 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

My comments in orange.

Salim

Originally Posted by Drcoffee
There are so many problems it seems with the electronic door locks on the first gen RX300. I have a '99 worth $4000 I don't need the security system anymore. So here is my issue. When I lock the doors with the key fob, the automatic headlights don't turn off but the doors stay locked. [If you lock the second time the headlights if set on auto, should turn off ... so things look ok to this point]. When I unlock the doors with the key fob, the first push no sound, and door unlocks, two pushes on the fob and it beeps to let me know all the doors are unlocked [this is command not understood as it is not an expected. If you hold the unlock button down then the windows should roll down] . The drivers door did unlock with the first push, just no beep.[This is a setting that can be done by ABEST programming by the dealer] If I leave the door open, the car will re-lock in 30 seconds as if it does not know the door is open. Same for the front passenger door. If I open the rear 3 doors, no re-lock. [Normal would be if you unlock and do not operate a door, then the RX will lock itself ... user intended to lock but accidentally pushed the wrong button ,, safety] Everything is normal.

I replaced the front left door actuator with an OEM new unit. same problem. I took the door panel off this morning and pulled it out and reconnected the electric plugs and observed the function through all its possible operations. I can't seem to find anything obvious that's causing an issue. Here is where I am at.

There is an option that if you drive the doors lock. There maybe a CBEST option that locks up the RX? Once again Hyper is the encyclopedia on locks.

I disconnected the latch sensor wire, the smaller, two wire connector on the latch mechanism. So the chime no longer chimes when the door is open. I'm okay with that. The door locks no longer appear to mysteriously re-lock themselves while the door is open.

--->> My question is this. What else than does that latch sensor control? Does it affect the security system or vital computer functions?
Old 07-24-16, 05:40 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's my understanding that the RX300 does not have a CBEST option to lock the door locks when the car is in motion.
Old 07-25-16, 06:20 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

I bought a cable and software for the Toyota CBEST system and wouldn't you know, it operates on XP and WIn7 32bit. I have two laptops that both are 64bit

Now what it is doing is when I stop for gas, I get out fill up, get back in, close the door and the door locks cycle with two clicks. I will try re-programming a fob and see what comes of it.
Old 07-26-16, 06:37 PM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

What would happen if I disconnect the engine hood courtey switch? The switch that knows if the hood is open or closed. Would this defeat the security system? I am tired of chasing ghosts. The doors keep re-locking unless I open the rear doors. If I disconnect the hood switch, I assume the security stystem does not activate. Is that correct?

Reprogramming the fobs made no difference. None of this started until I disconnected the battery. Did I put the system into passive mode and if so, how do I change it back?

Last edited by Drcoffee; 07-26-16 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-27-16, 09:18 AM
Drcoffee
Intermediate

Default Great news

So far so good. I seemed to have stumbled on a way to disable the ridiculous security system with all the issues I have discussed above. The doors relock even when the drivers door is open. The locks cycle lock unlock as I drive off from park. Alarm sounds unless I unlock all doors with the fob with two presses.

What I did was unplug the engine hood courtesy switch on the backside of the hood latch. It needs continuity when the hood is open. Which means I shorted the harness plug by pushing a short wire, bare on both ends into the female plug. I also sealed the end of the plug with hot melt glue to seal it from water and zip tied it out of the way. Now the computer believes the hood is open and the security system will not arm until it knows its closed. At least so far. I tested it two different ways and the doors do not re-lock as they previously did. All lock functions work as they should.
Old 08-25-16, 03:32 PM
caphook
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver rear door wiil not lock with key fob

My driver door will not lock with the key fob. All other doors lock. I can manually lock the door with the inside rocker type ****.
Then the key fob will unlock it but not re lock it.

Any suggestions.

Cap hook
Old 08-25-16, 09:17 PM
carguy07
Lexus Champion

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by caphook
My driver door will not lock with the key fob. All other doors lock. I can manually lock the door with the inside rocker type ****.
Then the key fob will unlock it but not re lock it.

Any suggestions.

Cap hook
It's the actuator: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-write-up.html