RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Power steering line removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 07:04 PM
bw1337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering line removal

Hey guys, the line that snakes behind the intake manifold is leaking where the hose crimps to the hard line. I'm going to just take it off and have a hydraulic hose shop replace the hoses and re-crimp it as a new one is $300 from the dealer. My question is are there any tricks to removing it? As far as I can see it is held on by a few brackets? Does anyone have a old/ leaky line I could buy to have repaired so I can just swap in the line and not have the car sitting for a day or 2?
Old 02-17-15, 03:58 AM
CharBaby
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my High Pressure P/S Line in IIRC, ~2010!

Yes, it is difficult to remove from the rack/pinion area as it is bent in certain ways that don't allow the line to come out very easily from between the RX's own suspension parts.

It took me over 15 hours with fiddling around(disconnect the wire from the A/F sensor and let it hang). This will help when maneuvering the line/hose. Once everything is disconnected from the underneath of the intake manifold and the P/S pump, I had my wife wiggle it out from the driver side(wheel removed) while I fed it to her from underneath the car, laying on my back!

I took the whole HP P/S line to a radiator shop where they(the shop) made/crimped/bent everything that needed to be replaced. Which was only the portion that screws into the rack and it's pressure line/fitting. All of the rest of my P/S line was fine and still painted from the factory(where it mounted to the underside of the manifold.

I never did replace the brackets that mount the High Pressure line to the underside of the manifold, I used ZipTies! It's been great since.

This radiator shop charged me $90 for their fabrication of the tubing & hp hose/crimp, instead of me paying $345 for the Lexus HP line! AND, I was glad to pay the $90 but, I don't want to do the job ever again!